• Final DOOM (TNT/Plutonia)
    • DOOM 3
    • DOOM (2016)
    • DOOM VFR
    • DOOM 64

On 5/11/2018 at 12:23 AM, Gerardo194 said:

Doom on SNES, a memorable port to me.

Same yo.

Ultimate DOOM, but it was my brother's back in 96'.

However, it was the DOOM95 port. I've had to start someplace

Jaguar Doom was my first foray...I had just finished up Wolf 3D for the Jag when I bought it.  Having not really seen or played the PC Doom, the downgraded/missing textures and absent music didn't really bother me at the time...guess you can't miss what you don't know.  The whole idea of being able to kill monsters with an awesome variety of weapons in a (pseudo) 3D world where you could go anywhere within its boundaries was pretty cool to me...but due to the Jag version's limitations, I didn't really fall in love with it.

Played the 32X version within a year or so of having bought the Jag version, and didn't think the music was anything all that special (the 32X certainly didn't do those midis any favors).

Some time later, I bought the PS1, and not long after that, saw that Doom was available for it.  Almost didn't even buy it, but decided What the hell (pun intended).  As soon as I fired it up, all I could think was "Holy SHIT!"  The lighting and improved resolution over the Jag and 32X iterations were one thing...but that awesome ambient super-creepy MUSIC!  At the time, right along with Saturn's Panzer Dragoon compositions, that was the best in-game music I'd ever heard in a video game, and it still holds up all these years later.  It completely changed the feel of Doom, in the best way possible...made playing SO much more nerve-wracking!  I'm actually playing though it once again, right now...I have a portable PSone with the LED screen (had it for about 10 years or so), and I still find PSX Doom as immersive as ever...and the small screen makes the now-ancient pixel-prone graphics seem less rough on the eyes.  All these years later, it still remains my favorite version of Doom, in spite of some limitations (like occasional frame-rate plummets).  Even reached out to Aubrey Hodges with regards to how influential his Doom soundtrack was, and he responded, which was pretty cool.

Doom 64 was next...so smooth, so clean, clearly influenced by PSX Doom, and in the best ways possible (more Aubrey goodness to boot).  Took me a little while to get into its new look, but once I did, I loved it...not quite as much as PSX Doom, but very close.  Felt a bit short...10 more levels or so and I'd have even fonder memories of it...it just felt like it was over too fast.  Loved some of the homages to previous Dooms (like Even Simpler). 

Doom 3...just didn't take.  Looked good but just didn't feel like Doom to me...too many tight, similar-looking cramped corridors.  Despised the PDA crap.  Tried to get into it on multiple occasions.  Bought the version that came with the original Doom and Doom 2.

And as far as THOSE go (basically PC Dooms), technically they obviously have more going on than the PSX version...more textures, higher resolution, better and more consistent frame rates, no nerfed ememies, etc.  But those midi tunes and some ugly textures/odd color choices...ironically I simply find PSX Doom to have a much more convincing/less cartoonish atmosphere and feel.  I even tried to mash up the PSX soundtrack with the originals, and they just didn't blend.  I do admit that the 3DO remixes of Bobby Prince's tunes make a world of difference though, in a very good way.  I find myself playing the original Dooms more just to see what's been cut out or changed in the PSX version, but I don't enjoy those nearly as much.  PSX Doom just feels far more compelling and immersive. 

Actually toying with the idea of buying an Xbox One X and snagging Doom for it.  Can't decide.