Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pegleg

PrBoom+ on Mac: How do I record a demo?

I have a Mac and PrBoom+ ver. 2.5.1.2

I usually just load maps using the PrBoom Plus Launcher, and that works fine. Unfortunately, for some of the projects here, I need to be able to record a demo. The Launcher doesn't appear to have a option to record a demo, and I was unable to open up the terminal window in order to run the command line.

I searched these forums and didn't find anything about this. Would someone be able to provide some assistance? Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz4utadi778glyk/prbp-2.5.1.4-osx-universal.tbz?dl=1

MD5: d36e2735d239e3cac8d4f7345f4bfdb9

SHA-1: 95740839a6bcd35ca4fc38fb2f2c170f3aa93e4d

Compatible with both PowerPC CPUs and x86 CPUs (tested personally by me).

There is no launcher, just the loose binary itself. Unpack this archive on ~/.prboom-plus, copy your IWADs and PWADs into that (hidden) folder, open a terminal window, change to that directory and launch the binary with the proper parameters.

More or less, this:

cd ~/.prboom-plus
./prboom-plus -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad -file cool_vanilla_megawad_for_doom.wad -record cool_demo_attempt_number_73 -skill 4 -warp 1 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz4utadi778glyk/prbp-2.5.1.4-osx-universal.tbz?dl=1

MD5: d36e2735d239e3cac8d4f7345f4bfdb9

SHA-1: 95740839a6bcd35ca4fc38fb2f2c170f3aa93e4d

Compatible with both PowerPC CPUs and x86 CPUs (tested personally by me).

There is no launcher, just the loose binary itself. Unpack this archive on ~/.prboom-plus, copy your IWADs and PWADs into that (hidden) folder, open a terminal window, change to that directory and launch the binary with the proper parameters.

More or less, this:

cd ~/.prboom-plus
./prboom-plus -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad -file cool_vanilla_megawad_for_doom.wad -record cool_demo_attempt_number_73 -skill 4 -warp 1 1

Thank you very much!

OK. I downloaded it , unpacked the archive, and ended up putting it in a hidden folder in Library, that I named PrBoomPlus (along with the IWADs and a PWAD). So, I can type:

cd ~/library/prboomplus and get to that directory in the terminal

However, from that prompt, if I try running: probe-plus -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad

I end up with this error: dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/lib/libSDL_net.dylib
  Referenced from: ~/Library/PrBoomPlus/./prboom-plus
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

OK. I ended up figuring that out. I wasn't in the directory with the cfg files. That makes sense. Now, unfortunately, running the command:

prboom-plus -complevel 3 -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad

leads to the error       -bash: prboom-plus: command not found

I'm sure this is a relatively simple error, but do you have an idea what I need to do to fix it?

Edited by Pegleg : Managed to figure out part of my own problem.

Wrong folder. Extract the entire archive into ~/.prboom-plus or $HOME/.prboom-plus, under the user profile itself (where it saves the configuration, anyway).

Also, you could edit your ~/.bash_profile file in order to declare certain environment variables, for convenience. For example, mine has this content, more or less. This way, you can use any normal folder ($HOME/doom, for example) to store your IWADs and PWADs. And $HOME/.prboom-plus is only for the executable, its resource wad, the config file and the dynamic libraries.

export DOOMWADPATH=$HOME/doom
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.prboom-plus
cd $DOOMWADPATH

Then, just open a terminal window and enter the desired command line, taking advantage of the tabulator to autocomplete the filenames.

Version of OS X / macOS, anyway? I have tested this universal binary successfully with Leopard for PowerPC, and with Sierra for x86-64.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

Wrong folder. Extract the entire archive into ~/.prboom-plus or $HOME/.prboom-plus, under the user profile itself (where it saves the configuration, anyway).

Also, you could edit your ~/.bash_profile file in order to declare certain environment variables, for convenience. For example, mine has this content, more or less. This way, you can use any normal folder ($HOME/doom, for example) to store your IWADs and PWADs. And $HOME/.prboom-plus is only for the executable, its resource wad, the config file and the dynamic libraries.

export DOOMWADPATH=$HOME/doom
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.prboom-plus
cd $DOOMWADPATH

Then, just open a terminal window and enter the desired command line, taking advantage of the tabulator to autocomplete the filenames.

Version of OS X / macOS, anyway? I have tested this universal binary successfully with Leopard for PowerPC, and with Sierra for x86-64.

Starting over. I'm running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

I extracted the file in the home directory and ended up with prbp-2.5.1.4 (as in that is the directory that was extracted--I didn't change it).

Opening that directory, reveals the lib subdirectory, the probe-plus executable, the probe-plus-game-server executable, probe-plus.cfg, and prboom-plus.wad

I also added doom.wad and doom2.wad to the prbp-2.5.1.4 directory.

When I double-click on prboom-plus, I receive:

/prbp-2.5.1.4/prboom-plus ; exit;
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file: ~/.prboom-plus/prboom-plus.cfg
PrBoom-Plus.wad not found. Can't continue.
logout

[Process completed]

And now I'm officially confused because probe-plus.wad is in the same directory that was extracted.

Edited by Pegleg

Ok, it’s my fault. I will rephrase it:

Either:

Extract the contents of the folder prbp-2.5.1.4 (not the folder itself) inside $HOME/.prboom-plus .

Or:

Extract the folder itself and rename it. You can use the mv command, because the Finder won’t rename an item so that its name starts with a dot.

mv ~/prbp-2.5.1.4 ~/.prboom-plus

Also, this folder contains an useless symlink, as far I remember. Delete it.

8 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

Ok, it’s my fault. I will rephrase it:

Either:

Extract the contents of the folder prbp-2.5.1.4 (not the folder itself) inside $HOME/.prboom-plus .

Or:

Extract the folder itself and rename it. You can use the mv command, because the Finder won’t rename an item so that its name starts with a dot.

mv ~/prbp-2.5.1.4 ~/.prboom-plus

Also, this folder contains an useless symlink, as far I remember. Delete it.

Thank you for putting up with me and my lack of tech-savvy.

So I was able to move the contents of the folder to the now hidden .prboom-plus folder. I can go to in the terminal with cd ~/.prboom-plus

Unfortunately, at this point, typing ./prboom-plus -complevel 3 -iwad doom.wad yields the error

./prboom-plus: No such file or directory

Output of ls -ano in that directory? prboom-plus is an executable and it needs the proper execute permissions. Is probe-plus a typo?

Also, I remember something about 3rd party apps being unable of extracting these archives with proper permissions. Use only the built-in one.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

Output of ls -ano in that directory? prboom-plus is an executable and it needs the proper execute permissions. Is probe-plus a typo?

Also, I remember something about 3rd party apps being unable of extracting these archives with proper permissions. Use only the built-in one.

I used the built-in one to extract the files.

total 0
drwx------   3 501   102 May 11 22:14 .
drwxr-xr-x  59 501  2006 May 11 22:14 ..
drwxr-xr-x@  9 501   306 May 11 21:46 prbp2514

Inside prbp2514 is:

total 59976
drwxr-xr-x@  9 501       306 May 11 21:46 .
drwx------   3 501       102 May 11 22:14 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 501  12408292 Jun 12  1996 DOOM.WAD
-rwxr-xr-x   1 501  14604584 May 29  1996 DOOM2.WAD
drwxr-xr-x@ 42 501      1428 Dec 14  2016 lib
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 501   3176404 Dec 14  2016 prboom-plus
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 501     77260 Dec 14  2016 prboom-plus-game-server
-rw-r--r--   1 501     17294 May  1 23:44 prboom-plus.cfg
-rw-r--r--@  1 501    413161 Dec 11  2016 prboom-plus.wad

24 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

OK. I got it to work. I just had to change to that subdirectory.

Again, thank you for all the help!

Posted (edited)

I don’t see the expected files and folders, just that folder. I guess that you could use, for convenience, the Finder to move them to the expected location. Just open two new windows, use the Go to function (enter ~/.prboom-plus as location) on both windows and drag-n-drop the files and folders into the expected location.

I mean, these files and folders should reside on ~/.prboom-plus, not on ~/.prboom-plus/prbp2514 .

Edit: and yes, the executables themselves do feature the proper execute permission.

13 minutes ago, DoomeroHispalense said:

I don’t see the expected files and folders, just that folder. I guess that you could use, for convenience, the Finder to move them to the expected location. Just open two new windows, use the Go to function (enter ~/.prboom-plus as location) on both windows and drag-n-drop the files and folders into the expected location.

I mean, these files and folders should reside on ~/.prboom-plus, not on ~/.prboom-plus/prbp2514 .

Edit: and yes, the executables themselves do feature the proper execute permission.

OK. Done. I moved them and all is well. Thank you so much.