Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre.Charles

Quake 2 Won't Run in OpenGL

I'm using the GOG version.

Every time I try to change Quake 2 to OpenGL mode the game crashes. Any advice that doesn't include sourceports or patches?

UPDATE 25/12/2018:

Got the Steam version, had similar issues, I decided to use Yamagi which is sort of like a patch. I honestly have no idea why I didn't want to use a patch, I guess to be a purist, but the only changes are added support for widescreen, antialiasing, and anisotropic filtering, shit that barely affects the look of the game.

Edited by DepravedDiptera : Corrected Info

1 hour ago, DepravedDiptera said:

I'm using the GOG version.

Every time I try to change Quake 2 to OpenGL mode the game crashes. Any advice that doesn't include sourceports or patches?

Update:

I found a pirated copy and it worked, I moved some files into my Quake 2 directory and now it works.

I'm not sure which of these 4 did it, but it was probably the only one that didn't replace something, but just in case here's all 4:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f7IyG3lBq2ghf9ZvEM4-n2sLpF2_rzou/view?usp=sharing

Any particular reason why you wouldn't use a sourceport? Also, maybe consider updating your graphics drivers?  Maybe your graphics card is too old for OpenGL 2?

What is the meaning of life?  What is truth? Wait, wrong forum...

It's possibly the bug where the OpenGL DLL chokes when asked to report a feature list that's too long, in which case it's possible to correct by patching that bit out of ref_gl.dll.  Not sure if there's a ready made patch for that though, I've always done it by hex edit.

You might want to try using a source port like KMQuake 2, or even Berserker@Quake2 if you want an extreme graphics mod.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

You might want to try using a source port like KMQuake 2, or even Berserker@Quake2 if you want an extreme graphics mod.

Was there a Darkplaces port for Quake 2??