Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Have you ever played...

Have you ever played Memento Mori II?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever played Memento Mori II?

• Yes
    • No

Grazza said:

dsm: The MM and MM2 files can all be found in ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/themes/mm/
No, I don't understand why it's in "themes" either...

Ok, both are downloaded and on my hard drive now - I've played the first five levels of MM1.
My judgement: So far, the first levels are well-designed, but all of a sudden it becomes so damn hard to find the keys, putting me in one of those extremely annoying situations where I run back and forth in frustration trying to figure out where in the nine Hells that damn key is!
This of course affects my judgement of the megawad in negative direction - nothing is worse than when you reach the brink of putting your fist through the screen.

dsm said:

nothing is worse than when you reach the brink of putting your fist through the screen.

lol, heh don't worry u'll find it sooner or later...(I think)

DOOM Anomaly said:

lol, heh don't worry u'll find it sooner or later...(I think)

Yeah, but I don't want to waste up to half an hour looking for a way to progress when I could be wasting demons - I dunno about you, but I play Doom to kill stuff.

I usually start cheating when I reach a map that refuses to give up its keycards - after I've been running through the map like five times or so with no progress whatsoever.

Btw, just completed MM1 - I love the endgame challenge :-)

dsm said:

Yeah, but I don't want to waste up to half an hour looking for a way to progress when I could be wasting demons - I dunno about you, but I play Doom to kill stuff.

If I get tired of playing through a map in the discovery phase I usually check a demo of someone completing the map... this is certainly not possible for many WADs, but well-known megawads like the MMs do have UV 100% kills/secrets packs, not to mention even faster compet-n recordings in this particular case.

dsm said:

I usually start cheating when I reach a map that refuses to give up its keycards - after I've been running through the map like five times or so with no progress whatsoever.

Btw, just completed MM1 - I love the endgame challenge :-)

Heh I know, Just that I usually dont have anywhere to go so i just spend litterly hours searching for things, untill my cpu crashes that is...*sigh* I am so alone...

I played the first Memento Mori but I can't remember if I played MM II.

Insert possibly dumb question here: Is that Italian for more memories, good memories, or something?

It is latin and means something like "remember you'll die."

I got back into Doom in January 2002, and i didn't have access to the megawads when i originally played/mapped.

I've got Requiem - i'm hoping to find time to play it properly soon, and of course i've played TNT/Plutonia. Unfortunatly the mapping is taking precedence. :(

dsm said:

Then don't ever play Eternal DOOM.

myk said:

It is latin and means something like "remember you'll die."

Yep, 'Remember that thou must die'.

I definitely haven't regretted that I downloaded the two "Remember that thou must die"s :-P
Man, they both thoroughly kick AV's ass.
Funnily enough, playing them make me start thinking about how Doom 3 mods would turn out to be :-)

I don't think the MM's are anything special. Sure it's great for it's age, but there are so many, better wads, IMO.

Memento Mori was the first great wad I ever downloaded. I was a little sceptical of Memento Mori 2 to start with but I had to give in at last. Memento Mori 2 is probably my favourite though many others come damn close.

Silverwyvern and I are still working thru Memento Mori 1. I think we are about at level 17 now. We found the secret levels by accident. I literally fell on the first one without even knowing it, and then Sliverwyvern did the same thing to send us to level 32 ;). GREAT wad though. However, I must agree on the key thing. Level 16 trying to get the yellow key after all the rad suits have been used is MISERABLE. and a few levels have started me in Zombie mode. (not fun). I'll get Memento Mori II when we finish this one.

My judgement: So far, the first levels are well-designed, but all of a sudden it becomes so damn hard to find the keys, putting me in one of those extremely annoying situations where I run back and forth in frustration trying to figure out where in the nine Hells that damn key is!

You didn't expect key-hunting in a set of levels made for a Doom game? :p

Livo said:

You didn't expect key-hunting in a set of levels made for a Doom game? :p

Kid, I've tried several wads with key hunting that was acceptable - There's a difference between key hunts and tearing the whole fucking level apart in order to get to that miserable little key.
There oughta be a law against forcing the player to look for secret rooms to get to the key - the key shouldn't be hidden in a fucking secret room.
Do me a favour and don't act like a dumb smartass, because that'll only annoy the crap outta me.

Little Faith said:

I'm curious: Which levels vexed you DSM?

Don't remember the specific levels now, but pretty much everything after map four took a while extra because I had to figure out how to progress.

Sorry dsm, but then again, the ":p" did kind of signify that I was joking.

I remember almost breaking my controller in some PSX and PS2 games...then again, once you finally get that key or achieve whatever in the game/level, you do feel like you can take on anything at times :)

Livo said:

Sorry dsm, but then again, the ":p" did kind of signify that I was joking.

Oh yeah - I shoulda thought a bit longer and harder before posting my reply (that way I would've remembered what smilies mean :-P), sorry.

I downloaded memento mori today to play a little, I think level five and six? then the server crashed. oh well. now I got the first one and wil start plodding thru it.

Little Faith said:

I'm curious: Which levels vexed you DSM?

Ok, now I've rechecked - I dunno if I missed some on the way, but the following maps in MM1 were all a bitch to complete:
map 04
map 07
map 11
map 13
map 21

I'm currently working on completing MM2 - that one has a few bitchy maps as well, but at least now I'm used to hacking away at every single wall to look for a hidden doorway that leads to a room with a keycard inside, so it hasn't been quite as troublesome as some of the mm1 map...yet (meaning that I have not yet been forced to use the 'idbehold a' cheat yet).

dsm said:

There oughta be a law against forcing the player to look for secret rooms to get to the key - the key shouldn't be hidden in a fucking secret room.

I thought this was part of Zen and the Art of Doom level design. You should never force the player into pushing on EVERY wall to find secret areas, and making the secret door textures exactly like the surroundings is mean and cruel without an automap. i ran into a few nasty snags in mm2, but haven't been through mm1 yet.