Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EANB

Glaive - a Scythe inspired Doom 2 episode (final version on idgames)

Just finished checking it out. First thing, however, a quick screenshot.

Screenshot_Doom_20180513_080854.png.887c05f75b6ffbb4a5cd98ac775aa8e9.png

Misaligned texture in MAP03, if I remember properly.

Was a good run, a little easy, but fun to play. I liked your use of traps and monsters to create interesting encounters. I didn't find many secrets, but those that I did were pretty neat in how I got to them. The amount of control offered to your players was something I liked, by allowing the player to retreat or stand, you allowed various playstyles, which is always good.

Some of the encounters were especially entertaining because they allowed me to utilize infighting to the maximum degree, weeding out potentially difficult groups by letting them slaughter themselves. The arch viles toward the end maps were very well used, the threat they posed was always massive where they were, and so I always felt forced to deal with them first and foremost. I applaud you for that, sir.

The last map was the only one to kill me, but the last little fight was pretty good. A little slaughter-ish for my personal taste, but it was still a good fight. If you intend on making more maps, I look forward to playing them.

I had literally the same idea for a wad. And I also wanted to name it Glaive, but damn, you beat me to it haha.

I played only a few maps so far, but I really liked them, so I'm probably gonna play the rest, and give you an actually constructive comment later on, since I don't have much time right now.

UV + pistol starts: 

01: Flows well. Above average 'straightforward starter map' for my tastes -- it has a bit more carnage and fireworks than the average map of this sort. Had a chaingunner teleport in late at the end because there is a lot of 'dead space' behind the teleporter line that monsters can wander around in, and only one line.  

02: Very nice. Small arms combat against low numbers of weak monsters is something I often find dull and rote -- 'the map is supposed to be easy so let's just scatter random fodder around and it call it a day' type of placement is common -- but you are able to place weapons and monsters in thought-out ways to make it enjoyable, not to mention the way traps are set up. I've skipped all ledge snipers on first sight (no pistoling zombiemen or imps), but the layout has always looped around or opened stuff up so that I can kill them up-close later. Atmosphere in the blue key area is cool. 

03: A lot more static than the other two. Action starts out with single-direction pistol camping, and shotgunning pinkies, and is mostly 'shoot stuff in front of you' for the remainder of the map, although some of the weapon-monster pairings make this satisfying, e.g. SSG-ing the mixed group after riding the lift and rocketing the cluster of stuff that opens en route to the red key. 

04: Meh map imo. Very simple arena layout, and the fights during the 'arena' stage feel quite anticlimactic. The start where you have just 100 H / 0 A is actually more compelling than the rest -- a soulsphere + GA is a bunch for what shows up. 

05: Started out a bit dull with campy SG gameplay, but I liked what it evolved into, with that chaingun trap and the parkour to the RL, exploding into the yard brawl and being capped off with a plasma rifle powertrip. Something I like is that your traps tend to be surprising at least along some lines. For example, a trap occurring at an ominous-looking lone key is expected, but a warp-in of monsters blocking exit would be a more 'typical' means of delivering it, and it wasn't that. (Edit: near the rocket launcher, it's possible to get stuck in the gap between the diagonally oriented crate and a wall.) 

06: Nice. Probably my favorite map so far from a combat perspective. The vile on map load was unexpected and fun. 

07: Fairly rote 'Dead Simple' fights, but at least it doesn't also take place in a simple arena. The last monsters were a welcome surprise, though! This map looks nicer than the rest, to the extent that it feels 'inspired by a good Scythe-inspired set' rather than 'inspired by Scythe itself'. 

08: The 'encampment' style of placement in a lot of rooms doesn't really work for me, but it's interesting anyway. The three-vile trap was exciting. It's easy to just grab the soulsphere with a bump without getting the secret. Finished the map with lots of cells, because I didn't see any use for the plasma rifle, took out the viles with two BFG shots, the cacos warping in with another two, and used two at the crew warping in at the end (expecting more than just a single vile + some low-tiers). 

09: Nice little micro-BFG spam map. The mastermind use was hilarious. 

Edited by rdwpa

I had the strangest way of dealing with those viles in 08. When they saw me, I wedged myself in a 64 unit space and blocked them out so I had room to hide in the little cubby hole behind me. It was only after I killed them that I noticed the BFG and felt like a total ditz.

Okay, so after playing all levels, I think that you did a very good job with this wad. I'm quite fond of small, compact maps done well, and I can say that every map in this wad is definitely done well. I like that there's never too much backtracking, and that most maps nicely loop around, that's a sign of a smart layout to me.

I terms of visuals I think that it's an above-average-looking-default textures only-mapset. I know that some of the textures weren't default, but like 90% of them all were, so that just screams ''vanilla'' to me. You did a good job at making all the locations look detailed and pretty. No complaints here.

The combat was also done nicely. All the encounters were interesting, and challenging enough not to bore me. The difficulty kinda started to spike after map 06, but that's a very good thing in my opinion. I really liked the usage of Archviles in map 06, I think they made that map especially memorable.

So overall I think that you succeded in your goal of making a Scythe inspired mapset, it definitely feels like Scythe, while feeling fresh at the same time.

Btw I came up with the idea to record some of my playthroughs and upload them to youtube, so I used your wad to do just that. It was my first attempt at recording Doom, so I later found out that not everything has been set up correctly, but the video is still watchable, so anyway, here's my casual playthrough of map 02:

I played this on Ultra Violence, Continuous, and a personal enhanced vanilla weapon pack. Source port used: GZDoom 3.3.2

Pretty solid mapset and fun to play through. The difficulty reminds me of the early maps of Scythe but a tiny bit harder, which is great. Level designs are simplistic yet house effective monster encounters to halt me from progressing. That three-vile trap in Map08 surprised me a little, I was expecting revenants for whatever reason. Thankfully I had the plasma rifle out and got vile-blasted once. I couldn't get to the BFG9000 as the viles were blocking my path to it.

I ran into a bug on Map07 with the exit. The floor is raised too high when the mancubi and arachnotrons are dead.

SO4uefZ.jpg

I played the map a total of four times. Three with the weapon mod and once without it. All four times this happened and I had to noclip through it. Above screenshot is the first time with the weapon mod. I want to say it's the source port I'm using that's causing this, but I recently played Map07 of Scythe 2 and that exit worked with GZDoom 3.3.2. It's probably bad luck though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised some people found it easy, I found most maps were hard to beat even knowing where everything is! Lorenz0's video is pretty useful for showing how to approach berserk fights, I was much worse at handling that.

4 hours ago, Swalzi said:

I played the map a total of four times. Three with the weapon mod and once without it. All four times this happened and I had to noclip through it. Above screenshot is the first time with the weapon mod. I want to say it's the source port I'm using that's causing this, but I recently played Map07 of Scythe 2 and that exit worked with GZDoom 3.3.2. It's probably bad luck though.

I did some testing and that arachnotron sector raises twice when the last two die at once. I think that would be normally hard to do because one only appears later, but I guess it could happen with rocket splash after leaving the other elevated one next to it alive. I'm not sure how to make that less likely without adding another arachnotron somewhere else.

I've updated and fixed some issues, such as the texture Aquila Chrysaetos mentioned, and the ability to get stuck in map 5 that rdwpa mentioned. I've also made sure every map has at least one secret. They're not hard to find but I think it's good form to have at least one in each map. The monsters in map 4 have been adjusted and map 8 now has a few less cells.

glaiver.zip

Ran through the updated version and I suffered the same issue Swalzi did. I actually had it happen the first time, but it slipped my mind.

After running through the map again (pistol start, GLBoom+ this time), the same thing happened, so I did some research on tag 667 and found this on the Doom wiki:

When the last Arachnotron dies, any sectors tagged with the number 667 are raised up by the height of the first sidedef's lower texture. If the first sidedef does not have a lower texture, the second sidedef is used.

Since the lower texture is METAL2, which is 128x64 unit texture, the platform raises 128 units.

So, I ran your map through the editor and lowered that sector 64 units.

N9pOGCC.jpg

As seen here. Its floor height is now -24 units instead of 40 units. I also lowered the secret sector adjacent to it by the same amount, so it's still obtainable.

Then I tested it in GLBoom+ again.

NA8VixN.png

And it worked as it was supposed to.

Because I like you, I have saved the fix as glaiver-AC.wad and here's the link for you.

EDIT: Link removed unless EANB asks me to replace it.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos : Taking down my link.

just played these.  they are pretty good.  generally above average stuff and is definitely worth a play for anyone else reading this.

fdas noisy_glaiver_fdas.zip (prboom+ cl9 uv)

i took a couple notes, a couple of them are bugs.

map02: 
-blocking corpses that appear to be intended as nonblocking
-there's a damaging sector that is not supposed to be damaging

map04:
kinda basic but playable.  it's just an arena, so it sticks out as less inspired than the rest of the maps.

map07:
-some mid-tex bleeding near a balcony
-some homs there too after the spiders die
--oh nevermind, it's cause i broke the map somehow: DNF

map08:
some metal misalignments but meh who cares

map09:
oops i accidently saw the first shot of map09 because i hit use after map08.  i spoiled it for myself 🙂
but heh that opening shot.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:45 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Ran through the updated version and I suffered the same issue Swalzi did. I actually had it happen the first time, but it slipped my mind.

After running through the map again (pistol start, GLBoom+ this time), the same thing happened, so I did some research on tag 667 and found this on the Doom wiki:

Since the lower texture is METAL2, which is 128x64 unit texture, the platform raises 128 units.

So, I ran your map through the editor and lowered that sector 64 units.

As seen here. Its floor height is now -24 units instead of 40 units. I also lowered the secret sector adjacent to it by the same amount, so it's still obtainable.

Then I tested it in GLBoom+ again.

And it worked as it was supposed to.

Because I like you, I have saved the fix as glaiver-AC.wad and here's the link for you.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r2uolyh050q5466/glaiver-AC.wad

Thanks, I had forgotten that 667 raised according to the texture height. Strange though that it was working fine in gzdoom for me but not in glboom. I opted to fix it a slightly different way, by just using 64 unit high texture that you cant see on one of the lines.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:50 AM, Lorenz0 said:

And here's map 06

Interesting that you barely used the rocket launcher. I put a bunch of extra rocket in the map because I thought there wasnt enough but you managed fine mostly without it.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, NoisyVelvet said:

just played these.  they are pretty good.  generally above average stuff and is definitely worth a play for anyone else reading this.

fdas noisy_glaiver_fdas.zip (prboom+ cl9 uv)

i took a couple notes, a couple of them are bugs.

Hide contents

map02: 
-blocking corpses that appear to be intended as nonblocking
-there's a damaging sector that is not supposed to be damaging

map04:
kinda basic but playable.  it's just an arena, so it sticks out as less inspired than the rest of the maps.

map07:
-some mid-tex bleeding near a balcony
-some homs there too after the spiders die
--oh nevermind, it's cause i broke the map somehow: DNF

map08:
some metal misalignments but meh who cares

map09:
oops i accidently saw the first shot of map09 because i hit use after map08.  i spoiled it for myself 🙂
but heh that opening shot.

Thanks for the demos, I fixed these issues in map2 and some of the texture bleeding i could find. I see you spent a lot of time trying to run to that blue armor in map 3, something I wasn't actually sure was possible because that crate simply lowers when the cacodemons arrive 😛 I like that if you're determined you can straferun to it. I like that you figured out the path to the soulsphere in map 8 too. That was originally intended to be a secret exit when I had plans for more maps so its a bit convoluted.

Updated

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9d4n240vff0hdd9/glaives.wad

glaives.zip

Edited by EANB

1 minute ago, EANB said:

Thanks, I had forgotten that 667 raised according to the texture height. Strange though that it was working fine in gzdoom for me but not in glboom. I opted to fix it a slightly different way, by just using 64 unit high texture that you cant see on one of the lines.

You're welcome. It happened in GZDoom 2.4.0 and GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 for me, so I felt I should fix it.

As it happens, I learned how tag 667 worked, so that was cool.

Not too bad. A little on the easy side (except maybe Map08, but even I survived the AV trap). The only gripe I have is that Map08's secrets were, for me anyway, tough to figure out. A little clue would help...

But otherwise, very solid, if standard, effort. I hope to see really good maps from you in the future. 😄

5 hours ago, EANB said:

Updated

glaives.zip

Are you in the middle of updating something? Clicking the link downloads a zero-sized empty zip.

Seems to be a site wide problem at the moment, zips are all 0 bytes and my uploads fail. I've uploaded it externally for now.

edit:fixed now

Edited by EANB

Here are my fdas you want to watch them: glaive_gaspe_fdas.zip

I enjoyed a lot this mapset. I was expecting it to be easier than what it turned out to be, but it was a good thing. I liked that it gives you some deja-vu feels here and there while it dos its own things. On MAP06, you can see also in my demo, you can get stuck in a gap at the crates at the left of the gates that lead to the final courtyard. On MAP09 it was very funny the usage of the spiderdemons, I also managed to get lucky and let the arachnotrons kill the first one and grab the BFG at the start; then I thought that something was broken since I wasn't able to progress but in the end I understood how to finish the level.

2 hours ago, gaspe said:

Here are my fdas you want to watch them: glaive_gaspe_fdas.zip

I enjoyed a lot this mapset. I was expecting it to be easier than what it turned out to be, but it was a good thing. I liked that it gives you some deja-vu feels here and there while it dos its own things. On MAP06, you can see also in my demo, you can get stuck in a gap at the crates at the left of the gates that lead to the final courtyard. On MAP09 it was very funny the usage of the spiderdemons, I also managed to get lucky and let the arachnotrons kill the first one and grab the BFG at the start; then I thought that something was broken since I wasn't able to progress but in the end I understood how to finish the level.

Nice demos. You have more patience for pistoling things and finding secrets than I thought most people would have. I was afraid someone might kill the spiderdemon instead of closing the door but you need a fair bit of luck to not die instantly, and yeah it doesnt break the level.

I've uploaded it to the archives with the box issue fixed. That should be the last version.

Here's a FDA video of it. For the most part it went cursively and I must say it was very fun. I only died when ambushed by many archviles at once. I didn't manage to finish level 9. Was it nearly over by the time I lost?

4 hours ago, EANB said:

I was afraid someone might kill the spiderdemon instead of closing the door but you need a fair bit of luck to not die instantly, and yeah it doesnt break the level.

Heh I persisted a bit because it looked doable. But I don't think that many other players will try to do that, you'll need a good luck to pull that out.

17 hours ago, printz said:

Here's a FDA video of it. For the most part it went cursively and I must say it was very fun. I only died when ambushed by many archviles at once. I didn't manage to finish level 9. Was it nearly over by the time I lost?

Yeah that was the end. Also the video thumbnail shows that I forgot to change that whole hallway back to grey from the green texture, whoops.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:17 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

@EANB I beat your entire WAD.

Very nice. You made it look easy.

On 6/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, Classicgamer6 said:

Just finished playing. Pretty good challenge you have going here and overall was a lot of fun.

Thanks! 

I think I'll be attempting another scythe-like episode in a different visual style soon.