Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Equinox24

Anyone know some pretty good megawads?

I'm looking for easy but still challenging doom 2 megawads. I have played Valiant, which is pretty fun, Also Alien vendetta as well.

Epic 2: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/epic2

It gets a little slaughter-ish toward the end.

Marswar: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/marsw301

It's easy, but if you know a little bit about Microsoft vs Linux, you should check it out.

DTWID: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/megawads/dtwid

Doom the Way ID Did.

D2TWID: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/d2twid

Doom 2 the Way ID Did.

D2INO: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/d2ino

Doom 2 In Name Only.

Whitemare: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/whitemar

Whitemare 2: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/white2

Two masterpieces by the beloved Russian Doom Community.

There are a ton more, but these should be enough for the time being.

Kama Sutra is nice. Ancient Aliens for some illuminati peyote amid the mojave desert, and purple textures.

Hm, considering you were able to beat AV and Valiant I'd suggest:

Hell Revealed (skip HR2 completely)

Memento Mori 1 & 2

Scythe

9 hours ago, amackert said:

I'll definitely second Ancient Aliens.

Would've recommended that too but the OP has played only Valiant and AV so far. Valiant might give him an idea about what to expect, but AA is considerably more difficult than it. AV, Scythe, HR, even all of these pale in comparison.

13 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Hm, considering you were able to beat AV and Valiant I'd suggest:

Hell Revealed (skip HR2 completely)

Memento Mori 1 & 2

Scythe

Whilst I beat Valiant, I haven't beaten AV. I'm pretty sure I'm on map 21.  I am thinking about Memento mori Because I am pretty sure the Casali brothers worked on that mod. Scythe is very fun (But not scythe 2..)  These are the mods I have at the moment,

woads.PNG

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Valiant might give him an idea about what to expect, but AA is considerably more difficult than it.

Actually I'm kind of curious about the reason you think AA is harder than Valiant. To me, AA is easier than Valiant, so I want to hear some different opinions.

Judging from the files from the screenshot, there are only few weapon modding stuff, so I think OP beats Valiant legitimately (of course, if jump/crouch/mouse look are used to break the intended gameplay, I can't know...). If so, I guess AA would fit. 

7 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Actually I'm kind of curious about the reason you think AA is harder than Valiant. To me, AA is easier than Valiant, so I want to hear some different opinions.

Same here. Granted, I haven't finished Valiant yet (I'm about 3/4 the way through it), but I have found myself having trouble more often than with AA.

AA is just really well made. If someone has trouble with it, that's what the difficulty settings are for.

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:
  • easy
  • challenging

Pick one.

I hear SunLust is pretty good.

I hear Sunlust is pretty easy.

Bloodstain and Unholy realms are good megawads too for a change....lots of nazis I tell you...

25 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm looking forward to your demos.

I was being sarcastic.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Judging from the files from the screenshot, there are only few weapon modding stuff, so I think OP beats Valiant legitimately (of course, if jump/crouch/mouse look are used to break the intended gameplay, I can't know...). If so, I guess AA would fit. 

For starters, AA has plenty of slaughter inspired levels later on, whereas Valiant has none, save for some influences in very few final maps. This already makes AA more difficult.

Another difference is that the levels themselves are simply more difficult, how? Lots of traps, many of 'em being lethal, or merciless if you will, and the enemy count is much higher than it ever is in Valiant overall. It might not introduce new weapons unlike Valiant and features fewer brand new enemies, but that doesn't matter, it's designed to be very challenging. On many occasions the enemies are also placed in such a way you can't reach them until you make progress in the said map either iirc, but of course, they can. No way Garrett, AA is much less accessible than Valiant, I'm actually genuinely curious how you found it less difficult.

Vanguard's pretty easy if I'm honest, even if some of the later levels become a bit more slaughter-y. It's fun as hell, too.

14 hours ago, Agent6 said:

AA ♥ Valiant stuff (wait what?)

What's the order you played these? I think this matters. Since I played Valiant first, it improves my skill, so maybe this is one reason that I think AA is easier.

Talking about the slaughter maps, I assume you're talking about Map28 and Map29. (There are other maps with relatively high monster count, such as Map09 and Map15, but these maps don't feel like slaughter maps.) To be honest, I think these are very good intro level slaughter maps since they are not that difficult and you have enough space to maneuver. Difficult slaughter maps tend to block you and you need to think of a way to go pass the monsters. Both Map28 and Map29 don't really require you to do so. With this being said, I want to express my opinion that slaughter maps are not necessarily harder than non-slaughter maps.

Another thing is the custom monsters. The Guardians in Ancient Aliens are dangerous for sure, but this doesn't mean Arachnorbs and Cybruisers not. Not to mention those stronger Imps and Demons. Of course, you're given a stronger Chaingun in Valiant, but I guess some of the stuff can't really be solved easier by the stronger Chaingun. Comparing the lethality of traps is sort of not making sense. For example, on Valiant Map10, you have to duel a Cyberdemon in a small hole, and this trap gives me more trouble than all traps in both AA and Valiant even I know how to deal with it.

Well, I'm not talking you into accept AA is easier because everyone has different standard to judge difficulty. The reasons above is my reasoning that they are about the same difficulty to me, but I still think AA is a little bit easier. (If you put Plutonia a 1/5, AA seems like 1.5/5 and Valiant seems like 2/5 to me.)

24 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

What's the order you played these? I think this matters. Since I played Valiant first, it improves my skill, so maybe this is one reason that I think AA is easier.

Talking about the slaughter maps, I assume you're talking about Map28 and Map29. (There are other maps with relatively high monster count, such as Map09 and Map15, but these maps don't feel like slaughter maps.) To be honest, I think these are very good intro level slaughter maps since they are not that difficult and you have enough space to maneuver. Difficult slaughter maps tend to block you and you need to think of a way to go pass the monsters. Both Map28 and Map29 don't really require you to do so. With this being said, I want to express my opinion that slaughter maps are not necessarily harder than non-slaughter maps.

Another thing is the custom monsters. The Guardians in Ancient Aliens are dangerous for sure, but this doesn't mean Arachnorbs and Cybruisers not. Not to mention those stronger Imps and Demons. Of course, you're given a stronger Chaingun in Valiant, but I guess some of the stuff can't really be solved easier by the stronger Chaingun. Comparing the lethality of traps is sort of not making sense. For example, on Valiant Map10, you have to duel a Cyberdemon in a small hole, and this trap gives me more trouble than all traps in both AA and Valiant even I know how to deal with it.

Well, I'm not talking you into accept AA is easier because everyone has different standard to judge difficulty. The reasons above is my reasoning that they are about the same difficulty to me, but I still think AA is a little bit easier. (If you put Plutonia a 1/5, AA seems like 1.5/5 and Valiant seems like 2/5 to me.)

I've played AA first so I might have gained some experience from my time with it, I dunno, but even so AA still feels more difficult to me due to the difference in design.

No doubt, Valiant features more new enemies who are deadlier than the ones in AA, but the encounters themselves are nowhere near as brutal as they are in AA imo. It also doesn't help that Valiant introduces new weapons either. And sure, there's some instances the game wants you dead, but I got tired of getting ambushed in AA far more often than I ever did in Valiant, if at all.

As about the slaughter inspired levels, I think our definitions are different, I definitely remember seeing more than 2 levels. Or maybe I'm wrong? I could be, I'm not 100% sure honestly. I agree they're not necessarily more difficult than non-slaughter maps though, in fact I remember I've even said in my review that I found these to actually be the easiest of all. But either way, AA is definitely the more challenging megawad to me.

E: Forgot something. The difficulty curve. AA was more difficult for me from the very beginning, like starting hard and only getting harder, whereas Valiant actually started noticeably easier and didn't want me dead as fast as possible with all its traps.

5 hours ago, Agent6 said:

E: Forgot something. The difficulty curve. AA was more difficult for me from the very beginning, like starting hard and only getting harder, whereas Valiant actually started noticeably easier and didn't want me dead as fast as possible with all its traps.

AA definitely has some ammo starvation going on in the early maps, which definitely put me off it on the first playthrough and made it seem more difficult than it really is. However, in revisiting it I don't have much of an issue and it's a lot more fun. Being good with the berserk and triggering infighting helps a ton.