Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

games with guns that have underwhelming designs and sounds

So basically there's games out there both good or bad which have guns with underwhelming or half-arsed designs and/or sounds.

In GTA San Andreas most of the weapons were grey or washed out and most of them made crappy popping firing sounds.

In the Stalker games a lot of the weapons also look washed out but had decent or great firing sounds at least.

Some accuse the Doom 3 machine gun of having weak sounds.

It always kind of bothered me that some older shmups don't have any sound for when your own weapon fires.  Dead Moon on the PC Engine is one example.

Duke 3D's pistol and shotgun were always kind of silly to me.  The pistol was more like a box on a handle that made a weak sound, while the shotgun sounded ok but the animation always seemed a bit jerky.

16 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

GTA San Andreas

When I saw the title, I was going to say this but you mentioned it already.

The sound for the pistol and chaingun. It sounds like someone slapping paper or something. I generally prefer the PC sounds, but the PSX/N64 Dooms had a much better pistol sound.

The pistol in Doom3 is just as bad, it sounds like a zipper unzipping really fast, to my ears anyway.

I don't do well with the military-type shooters cos all the guns looks so similar to each other and I'm obviously missing some military history knowledge which makes me care which one is which. like if your game has ten guns and they all look like gunmetal horizontal pipes with small cosmetic differences when you see them in the field then I'm going to think they're poorly designed even if they're perfectly realistic

i want one of the guns to have a drawstring and one of the guns to a bright neon colour and one of them to have an unnecessary spinning barrel and one of them to have a miniature nuclear fission reactor strapped to it.

as for sound design I think I'm in a weak position to criticize because my fave FPS has the bfg-9000 in it

Every gun (and, while at it, monster) from the videogame Prey (the one with portals and gravity wells) has unimaginative design. Despite all the alien technology and the really cool design concepts (portals, gravity belts, miniature planets, 3D flying areas), everything else is reskinned generic stuff. You have the weak pistol, the shotgun, the rocket launcher etc., all disguised as alien flesh technology.

The monsters are also generic. You get infantry aliens and as you progress, everything becomes nondescript floating drone-blobs which shoot stuff at you.

5 hours ago, TFK said:

Quake's weapon design looks dull and absurd.

Fight me 😠

5 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

It always kind of bothered me that some older shmups don't have any sound for when your own weapon fires.  Dead Moon on the PC Engine is one example.

Imagine listening to the same sound for 30 - 60 minutes. Then again... I guess Contra does.

I'm not a big fan of Doom's own sounds for the pistol (and chaingun), shotgun, and SSG, so I almost always use a personal mod that replaces their sounds with something that sounds a lot stronger, though now the pistol sounds like the hand cannon that it is not.

Half Life had some pretty good sounds with its HD edition, but a few of the non-HD sounds were underwhelming, like the shotgun and MP5.

30 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I'm not a big fan of Doom's own sounds for the pistol (and chaingun), shotgun, and SSG

Blasphemy! Personally I felt the shotguns had the better sounds of all the weapons in the game.

Quake. All of the weapons sound wimpy. The Silent Hill games have some really underwhelming weapons. At least in Resident Evil you get grenade launchers and colt pythons that are loud, powerful and sound cool. Even the pistol and shotgun sounds and feel are better than in SH.

At least SH is better horror-wise. 😉

Since I don't own gaming pc for quite some long time, I can't really point out any modern games with underwhelming gun sounds, but I recall The evil within having absolutely the most pathetic sounding revolver I ever heard in my entire life. The worst part is that you are using it through whole game, and it's just absolutely unsatisfactory to shoot at enemies with it, however, the sequel (which I never played) has absolutely eargasming sounds, especially shotgun, absolutely dig it.

Edited by BioRenegat

I always thought the Doom 3 shotgun sounded like puffs of confetti should be coming out of it rather than buckshot. Given the damage it does at anything other that point blank, that wouldn't be out of line.

16 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Blasphemy! Personally I felt the shotguns had the better sounds of all the weapons in the game.

Agreed, strangely enough, I just don't feel they sound properly powerful.

Complex Doom has some really good sounds for its SSG and Quad Shotgun.

Mass Effect had some weapon designs I thought were really underwhelming. The Widow in particular looks like it'd be more dangerous to the operator than to its target, being the giant 80 lb something-like-that monster that it is.

This was mentioned on the worst shotguns thread, but the single shotgun from Fallout New Vegas was terrible. The caravan shotgun looked weird. The combat shotgun from Fallout 3 and 4 always struck me as strange looking and in 3 somewhat underwhelming in terms of power.

7 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

The pistol was more like a box on a handle that made a weak sound

No wonder Duke ditched that pistol in favor of a Colt M1911. :/

7 hours ago, TFK said:

You take that back. Quake has some cool looking weapons. They sound powerful as well. The Nailgun/Super Nailgun, Rocket Launcher, and Thunderbolt are music to my ears. 

The HD pack Shotgun from the original HL looks great, but the pump sound is incredibly irritating.

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

You take that back. Quake has some cool looking weapons. They sound powerful as well. The Nailgun/Super Nailgun, Rocket Launcher, and Thunderbolt are music to my ears. 

I second this, but when you install Quake 1.5, the weapons get even better IMO.

16 hours ago, TFK said:

I remember Heretic weapons felt dull, every single one of them. Then again if you move away from modern guns to fantasy or spacey energy weapons (Unreal is another one) I always felt they don't have the Oompf.

One of the best shotguns outside of Doom's is F.E.A.R. 1's shotgun. It really feels like you're holding a satisfying weapon, turning Replica's in a bloody paste. 

Come F.E.A.R. 2 & F.3.A.R, and the shotguns sounds like something from an action movie on a VHS tape. 

The F.3.A.R. Shotgun looks and sounds like complete shit. 

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The sound for the pistol and chaingun. It sounds like someone slapping paper or something. I generally prefer the PC sounds, but the PSX/N64 Dooms had a much better pistol sound.

The pistol in Doom3 is just as bad, it sounds like a zipper unzipping really fast, to my ears anyway.

This is one of the main reasons I find Aubrey Hodges' sound effects better in PSX Doom and Doom 64. The pistol and chaingun sound 100X better. Even the shotgun has a better roar to it. 

I think Scorpion Disfigure's shotgun is the only weapon I have felt is awkward.

9 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I love quake weapons sounds. Boomstick sound, crack sound of nailgun, deep powerfull perforator, rocket launcher is like poesy - first bass boom and than flyby sound of rocket, gl - realy, realy good shot sound, and than lovely clang of grenade bouncing on the floor, and mr thunderbolt - if you hear it you know he is a badass. All quake weapons have heavy bass sound and is pleasure to hear them.

But if we mention about bad sounds, so - new versions of Shadow warrior. First and second part have groovy looking guns, but the sound are very underwhelming. Doom 3 pistol, machinegun (like cracking nuts) and ricochet sound of shotgun which is louder than shoot sound - are worst sounds for me in that game. Chainsaw and rocket launcher rule.

Btw. Rage 1 has badass shotgun sound, I love to hear it again and again.

33 minutes ago, Optimus said:

I remember Heretic weapons felt dull, every single one of them. Then again if you move away from modern guns to fantasy or spacey energy weapons (Unreal is another one) I always felt they don't have the Oompf.

The Heretic weapons made the game feel like a Doom mod WITH MAGIC. That's why I never finished it.

The Hexen weapons, though, were badass.