Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nexxtic

Adding Text Memo's to a map

Hello,

Me and a couple of friends have been working on a WAD for almost over a year now. I was wondering if it's possible to add some sort of Text Log system (Example: like the original Unreal game where you could approach an object / book, and a bunch of text came on screen explaining the contents of that book).

Currently i'm using an ACS script that creates HUDMESSAGES and places it on the left side of the screen displaying the text. But I was wondering if there is a better way to do this by, for example, having a container placed around it.

I've seen it in other wads before but I forgot which ones.

Could anyone point me towards the right direction?

16 minutes ago, Nexxtic said:

I've seen it in other wads before but I forgot which ones.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/zdcmp2

To draw a container or whatever, use SetFont to set an arbitrary graphic as a font, then use HUDMessage to print a single letter, which will print the graphic.

To manage drawing multiple texts at different places, relocating texts already on the screen, and similar non-trivial tasks, you might need to use variables and write some if conditions.

4 hours ago, scifista42 said:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/zdcmp2

To draw a container or whatever, use SetFont to set an arbitrary graphic as a font, then use HUDMessage to print a single letter, which will print the graphic.

To manage drawing multiple texts at different places, relocating texts already on the screen, and similar non-trivial tasks, you might need to use variables and write some if conditions.

Useful, thanks!