Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Doom: Hell on Earth 0.2

The Nightmare - Part 2

Second Lieutenant Helen Kaminsky narrowed her dark brown eyes and gritted her teeth.

“Ammo status!” she roared hoarsely.
Her troops shouted numbers at her. The amounts of ammo available where disturbingly small and Kaminsky knew that it was only a matter of time before the next assault wave would rush at them. They had to get back to the base, so she picked one desperate option.

“We gotta get outta here!” the lieutenant snarled in her radio. “We’ll take the chance and move out of this death trap of a street!”

Tall skyscrapers, most of them with fire and smoke welling out of them, loomed above the team of marines.
The street was blocked behind them by a large tower block, which had fallen to the ground, so the only way out was the direction which they had come from. Unfortunately, that was the very same direction where the demons came from.

She began to run with the plasma gun in her hands, followed by her men.

They had just reached a T cross, when She caught movement out of the side of her eye. She quickly turned. A brown monster leapt at her from above. She cut it to pieces with a series of burning hot plasma pulses. She noticed misshaped forms appear out of her line of sight and heard her troops open fire.
“RUN!” She yelled at the top of her voice and sprayed a long burst of plasma energy at the charging monsters. The soldiers began to run, some of them, stopping up and providing covering fire for their buddies.

Lieutenant Kaminsky stopped dead in her tracks.
In front of her was a looming wall of rubble. Attempting to climb it seemed like asking to get buried beneath it as it seemed as if it would easily collapse.

The marines gathered and prepared for the onslaught.
Kaminsky set her jaw tight. She wasn’t afraid of death, but when she looked around at her troops she noticed a few faces revealing fear.
Kaminsky frowned. She hated male marines who would brag about how badass they were and then they turned out to be scared shitless when it really counted. She was usually harsh on soldiers who gave in to their emotions. “A true marine is like a machine – I’ve never seen a machine show fear!” She used to bark at her troops.

She hadn’t always been that rough, but Helen Kaminsky had had a number of unpleasant experiences, which had turned her into a rather cold-hearted officer in the recent years. She wasn’t completely stripped of emotions though and now she felt the nagging fear. Yet she didn’t show it to others, but inside her, she wanted to scream and beg for mercy.
She wasn’t afraid of any human – not anymore, but these things where nothing human – they were the human’s darkest fear. And she was actually terrified of them.

The noise grew louder and the marines Pointed their weapons in the direction. The monsters came into view.
“OPEN FIRE!!!” Kaminsky roared and several guns roared in response to her command.

Destruction ripped through the demonic creatures, but they kept on coming. The Lieutenant could see that it was hopeless. And a large crowd of monsters had gathered in front of them.

Just then, a large ball of green plasma energy came out of nowhere and exploded in the nightmarish crowd of aliens. The plasma explosion wiped out a large group of them and the marines stared in surprise, as a lot of other creatures, which hadn’t been hit initially, seemed to explode from the inside in bright, green flashes.

The monsters turned their attention on this new menace with a series of inhuman screeches and growls, but in the next instant, another plasma ball slammed into the crowd and wiped out half of it.

The amount of monsters had shrunk from a considerable force to just a large group and Lieutenant Kaminsky didn’t hesitate too much longer.
“FIRE!” she yelled and the troops killed off the remaining monsters.

The squad looked around, still cautious, but hardly able to believe what they had just seen.

Kaminsky looked up and saw a human figure emerge from the ruins. The sun was blinding her, but as he moved closer, she could make out that it was a big, very muscular man, wearing a combat suit. He seemed to be carrying a large gun in his hands.
He staggered towards them, reeling as if he was drunk and as the marines were looking at him, he sunk to the ground.
The marines rushed over to him.
It was clearly a marine, wearing a battered, bloodstained combat vest and a damaged, closed space combat helmet. Kaminsky noticed the eqipment he had on his back and ordered one of her men to turn the unconscious soldier around. He was heavily armed. Apart from the large, advanced plasma weapon he had been holding in his muscular arms, they found an assault chain gun, a shotgun, a collapsible rocket launcher and a pistol on him as well as a special knuckle-duster.

Kaminsky could clearly see that he was a space marine, but why was he wearing space equipment on Earth? Surely he didn’t need the life support system on his back here on Earth. Or had he been on a special assignment into areas with environmental hazards? She knew that space marines were pretty good at battle in hazardous environments.
“Take off his helmet” She ordered in a low, but stern voice.

The man had a military hair cut that had been a close shave. His hair was light brown with traces of blood in it. He was unshaved, which could indicate that he had been in the field for a long time. He looked very tough in Kaminsky’s eyes.

“What’s wrong with him?” she asked the squad’s medic.
“He’s just exhausted” the medic replied. “It looks like he’s been in combat for a long time” He looked at the man again. “Yep, a very, very long time without rest” he mumbled.
Kaminsky looked at the soldier again. He literally looked like he had been to Hell and back.

There was something about the soldier, which Kaminsky couldn’t quite put her finger on. She had a feeling that she had seen this marine before, but she wasn’t sure when and where.

“We’d better get our asses, including this guy's, back to base asap before more of these animals show up” she said quietly and then lifted the volume of her voice considerably. “Let’s go losers!”

Nice, but

She caught movement out of the side of her eye. She quickly turned. A brown monster leapt at her from above. She cut it to pieces with a series of burning hot plasma pulses. She noticed misshaped forms appear out of her line of sight and heard her troops open fire.
“RUN!” She yelled at the top of her voice and sprayed a long burst of plasma energy at the charging monsters.

A bit too many "She...She" sections for my liking. Maybe something like this would make it seem a bit more natural (my sentence breaks below are just my thing dsm, do whatever you like with your structure):

"She caught movmement out of the corner of her eye and quickly turned. A brown monster leapt at her from above, but was cut to pieces by her series of plasma pulses. Her soldier's weapons fire alerted her to several misshaped forms charging towards them. 'RUN!' Kaminsky yelled at the top of her voice, then sprayed a long burst of plasma energy at the incoming monsters."

Also, it may be just my preference, but I think that you're capitalising some letters unnecessarily i.e

“Ammo status!”She roared hoarsely.

Still, pretty good work.

Livo said:
Nice, but
A bit too many "She...She" sections for my liking. Maybe something like this would make it seem a bit more natural (my sentence breaks below are just my thing dsm, do whatever you like with your structure):

"She caught movmement out of the corner of her eye and quickly turned. A brown monster leapt at her from above, but was cut to pieces by her series of plasma pulses. Her soldier's weapons fire alerted her to several misshaped forms charging towards them. 'RUN!' Kaminsky yelled at the top of her voice, then sprayed a long burst of plasma energy at the incoming monsters."

Admitted, that is a problem - don't feel like correcting though.

Also, it may be just my preference, but I think that you're capitalising some letters unnecessarily i.e

Affirmative.

I'm transcribing all this to HTML (because it's prettier than plain-text, heh) to keep for personal reference. I'm thinking I might edit it (to keep as a personal copy only, not to be released). Would that be alright with you? If I do eventually get around to it, I would gladly send you a copy via AIM. It could be like a peer-editing exercise! ^_^

Ultraviolet said:

I'm transcribing all this to HTML (because it's prettier than plain-text, heh) to keep for personal reference. I'm thinking I might edit it (to keep as a personal copy only, not to be released). Would that be alright with you? If I do eventually get around to it, I would gladly send you a copy via AIM. It could be like a peer-editing exercise! ^_^

That's fine by me.