Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kdoom

GZoom features

I want to use many features I see in Gzdoom. How many people in the community are against this type of mapping? Main things I intend to use are the dynamic lights and 3d stuff. Everything else will be run of the mill zdoom features. Just curious about this, because I remember pissing off many people when I started mapping for Zdoom years ago.

I don't see why what other people think about what map format you use should dictate what kind of map you design. If you want to map for GZDoom, then do it. Those most likely to complain are also most likely to not play. You'll have a good number of people support you regardless of your map's format.

The worst thing you can do is try to please everyone, so map the way you want to.

38 minutes ago, kdoom said:

I remember pissing off many people when I started mapping for Zdoom years ago.

So this isn't a recent phenomenon?

Don't worry. I'd recommend to do what YOU want. Don't let others tell you what can and what cannot be done. If the map turns out good, people will play it. The handful of naysayers that will inevitably show up shouldn't dissuade you. No matter what you do - some of those will always show up so the best course of action is to just ignore them.

BTW, I fondly remember your old ZDoom maps and still occasionally play through them. They were one of my first contacts with some more advanced mapping features. To be blunt, those who complained back then must have been idiots. :P

I respect your opinions, but you completely misunderstood why I'm asking this. I probably should have made my post more clear:

If anyone knows to "do what you want" its me. I'm just curious if the community is still split up with little groups each using a specific engine. It's not very hard if planned correctly, to make a map that'll run under at least a few engines, to try to give more players a map to run. Yes, I aim to please :)

Keep in mind, when I started doom mapping in the mid-late 90's, there were about 20 sites just reviewing doom maps and mods. It was somewhat a competition to get on some of those sites , and I used that, to drive me back then. SO, it used to be important to please as many doomers as possible, to get good reviews.

Funny, I recall not being very popular on one of the newer sites back then...Doomworld!! lol

Jerry thanks for the kind words about those old Zdoom maps. Randy used to give me a lot of tips early on, about new stuff to try out. I really enjoyed making those maps. Zdoom got a bad name for "breaking" compatibility with other engines at the time. Most people used to want Boom to run everything.

Nobody will complain if you make Eternity maps with any features you like. ;)

it seems to me like most people will play maps in whatever port, if the map is compelling enough. there are just unfortunately very few maps posted around here that require anything beyond boom, which I think is a big part of what makes the community seem less zdoom-friendly maybe

It feels like most of the higher profile players prefer boom compatible stuff in order to record demos and there's the usual purists section who like gameplay to be as true to the original game. I personally love mapping with UDMF and all the other fun stuff the GZdoom offers. (You can see the results here). Interestingly enough, there have been some recent polls on favourite source ports and GZdoom was well ahead the last time I looked at them so I think there is a willingness to play GZDoom maps as long as they are actually good and are fun to play.

Here's my perspective on this issue...

Certainly Boom format it's still quite popular here, no doubt demo recording it's a big factor of why, it's not uncommon to see someone post a map in the forum an receive a demo recording from another fellow member, if you wan't to make sure a map gets into as many doomers hands, boom format it's a good option, not to mention its compatible with nearly every other source port

That said, i don't think making a GZDoom map it's gonna get a negative response from the comunity, while GZDoom maps are not as common as boom around here, there are a couple of maps in such format such as the bridgeburner56's upcoming megawad, or the recently released Umbra of Fate by YukiRaven that get shown from time to time, so if you wish to make something special using GZDoom don't be shy about it, if it's good people will play it regardless of the source port

1 hour ago, DMPhobos said:

Here's my perspective on this issue...

Certainly Boom format it's still quite popular here, no doubt demo recording it's a big factor of why, it's not uncommon to see someone post a map in the forum an receive a demo recording from another fellow member, if you wan't to make sure a map gets into as many doomers hands, boom format it's a good option, not to mention its compatible with nearly every other source port

That said, i don't think making a GZDoom map it's gonna get a negative response from the comunity, while GZDoom maps are not as common as boom around here, there are a couple of maps in such format such as the bridgeburner56's upcoming megawad, or the recently released Umbra of Fate by YukiRaven that get shown from time to time, so if you wish to make something special using GZDoom don't be shy about it, if it's good people will play it regardless of the source port

Don't forget Elementalism. That looks very high calibre

Use as many GZDoom features as you want, but don't use a feature just to add one to a check list. If you feel it makes the map better, go for it.

16 hours ago, kdoom said:

If anyone knows to "do what you want" its me. I'm just curious if the community is still split up with little groups each using a specific engine.

This isn't just the story of Doom, it's the story of humanity. There will always be those who stick to one specific solution and declare all deviating options heresy. The main problem with polarizing subjects is really that those with the most narrow-minded look on things also tend to be the loudest to complain so what you hear will be disproportionately biased. While at the same time the quiet majority will just enjoy a good map for what it is.

All that said, revisiting some of this childish squabbling from 15 or so years ago certainly gave me some chuckles, it's certainly not like that anymore. Looking back, engine options were apparently a bit more diverse but also far more immature. My memories of ZDoom 1.23 are not really that much better than for Doom Legacy, I mostly avoided it as it was a rather buggy engine that only became really popular a few years later after it matured a bit and got most bugs fixed.

Ok, this is all good news. Thanks for the opinions.

When I first thought of making a map again, I was initially going for vanilla with no limits. After a little thought, I remembered this was something I had left behind a very long time ago...just too boring as a mapper, to continue beating this dead horse.

First, for me now, lighting is a big deal. I started this map with a room and a center light. I used sectors to make the light taper off, and it just looked like shit to me. I'll always be somewhat of a purist, but the old sector lighting is one thing I dont mind leaving behind. I'm going with dynamic lights.

Second will be the 3d stuff. There is just a lot of neat things one can do with this one.

Third will be the scripting. Theres many cool things that can be controlled via scripting.

Beyond that, just what I see I need. I don't see this as being a showcase for GZdoom features. I'll just pick out what I need to make it a fun map to play.

sounds like a really solid approach; excited to see what you come up with :D

A problem with GZDoom maps (specially with newbies) it's that people sometimes use GZDoom features just for the sake of puting them in their maps, but that sounds like a well defined plan, recently i've been playing kmega1 and i've been enjoying it very much, so i can't wait to see what new stuff you're planing to build :)

I think @kdoom should avoid utilizing DECORATE and focus more on real mapping features of GZDoom, since there are always people who want to play maps with a gameplay mod.

But if he is keen on using DECORATE, then I have no issues with it. It's just that I've seen a lot of maps that uses extra DoomEd numbers and same actor names that make it incompatible with gameplay mods.

I might add more features to the next map, but this map is mainly for me to get to know GZdoom better, and Doom Builder. I'm still a little nervous about the editor change, because I never used anything but Wad Author before this venture. Nothing overly complicated in the plans for this first map. I really feel like a newb right now, and at the same time I find myself saying " I would do this & that before, but now I forget how". It's rather painful to be honest.

I have no need for DECORATE, will be none of that.

Dont expect to see results real soon, as I'm currently very busy in real life...I'm not sure why the hell I picked right now to start this, I guess I need something to take my mind off the stress I'm under...good stuff!

On 5/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, kdoom said:

First, for me now, lighting is a big deal. I started this map with a room and a center light. I used sectors to make the light taper off, and it just looked like shit to me. I'll always be somewhat of a purist, but the old sector lighting is one thing I dont mind leaving behind. I'm going with dynamic lights.

Second will be the 3d stuff. There is just a lot of neat things one can do with this one.

Third will be the scripting. Theres many cool things that can be controlled via scripting.

A couple of points to note. Although dynamic lights and 3D constructs greatly enhance the mood and design of maps, they can get resource-intensive. Therefore, you'll probably need to balance the "wow! factor" with the map's playability.

I'm behind you all the way for wanting to use scripting.

Best wishes.