Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaniVR99

DOOM sequel at E3?

Pete Hines tweeted this out after the RAGE 2 gameplay reveal... Seems suspicious. Thoughts?

Captura de pantalla (21).png

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

He really didn't say much of any thing honestly.  What am I missing?

I think he meant that Rage 2 is being primarily developed by Avalanche

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I think he meant that Rage 2 is being primarily developed by Avalanche

Exactly. As if he was implying that id IS working on Doom, and simply has a secondary role in RAGE 2

I wish at least a little new Doom like wolfenstein old blood. But, hey if I see Doom 2 Hell on Earth remake - you'll make my day.

To be honest, it’s kind of interesting to see how RAGE 2 has been getting a ton of buzz, whereas the Doom sequel is pretty much under wraps for the time being. I did see that Doom 2016 was given a proper teaser a couple of weeks (or months) before E3 2015. 

I don't believe id would release two games so close. I'm guessing they're trying a 3 year gap between major releases. So Doom in 2016, Rage 2 in 2019 and Doom 2 in 2022. If they announce them both together, the games would be in direct competition with each other.

5 hours ago, Teder said:

@Knee Deep In The Fan it's not old id now. But, yes in the old times they did.

I don't know of any companies that would release 2 in such close proximity. I know they work on 2 at a time but they tend to keep the secondary one quiet.

3 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I don't believe id would release two games so close.

Please keep in mind id Software doesn't seem to be the lead developer of Rage 2. According to Sundberg (from Avalanche) they don't even use the idtech engine:

Right now we don't know much of id's involvement here. Although the art direction clearly follows Rage (1) it seems id Software is mainly in a supporting role, for example for technology (like in Quake 4 and Wolfenstein TNO) or sound (like Wolfenstein).

So the question is: What is id Software currently working on? In the past they failed on creating two AAA titles at the same time (Doom/Rage) but right now they don't work on any major project. Quake Championship seems to be in QA and tweaking mode, so there's still much time left.

Edit: Here's another tweet by Sundberg which seems to confirm Avalanche is the lead developer here and the game is mainly developed in Sweden:

Tim Willits was also producer/lead designer of Quake 4 which was outsourced to Raven Software.
Edited by igg

RAGE is still id's ip though. Besides I don't recall Quake 4 or TNO being advertised as a collaboration between id and Raven/Machinegames. It's a different situation. Avalanche might be the lead developer but id is still a lot more involved than in other cases, based on what we've heard.

13 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

RAGE is still id's ip though. Besides I don't recall Quake 4 or TNO being advertised as a collaboration between id and Raven/Machinegames.

Quake 4 is still id's IP too.

In addition, id Software was the first company mentioned in the Quake 4 reveal trailer:

5 hours ago, igg said:

Quake 4 is still id's IP too.

In addition, id Software was the first company mentioned in the Quake 4 reveal trailer:

It's irrelevant. Quake 4 has always been a Raven game, just like TNO has always been a Machinegames game. id helping them out was not a full blown collaboration, just support. With RAGE 2 however it's a collaboration where, from what we can tell, Avalanche is the lead dev working on the world and driving while id is doing the FPS combat. It's a collaboration worth mentioning so it's not a mere support like with previous outsourced titles.

It's also irrelevant whether id is working on DOOM5 because it's safe to assume they are. The main point against the E3 reveal is that it would be announced for 2019... And it would blow my mind if there were two id games coming out the same year.

that is an absolutely terrible comment to give in context of e3....its actually rude.

ofc there will be no Doom game this year at e3...we all know that.