Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Era Di Cate

What MIDIs can I use?

I know, I know, obvious question, asked 400 times already, but I guess this question could use a refresh here and there.

I was wondering about the "legal technicalities" with using MIDIs. Just what kind of MIDIs are allowed? And I am not asking about the aesthetics, the style or any musical stuff.

Say, are those:

1. Well done MIDIs from those midi-downloading sites,

2. MIDI covers of pop songs (or from movie/game soundtracks),

3. Edited versions of certain MIDI songs,

allowed to be used with wads, and then posted on /idgames or whatever without any repercussions?

I have a feeling that even if these are allowed, I am supposed to credit the artist, right? But what if I can't credit him?

Thank you for your time.

2 minutes ago, Jerry.C said:

... as long as its creator allows reuse, of course. Some do not.

But how often is that even enforced? I seriously doubt the author of some random MIDI from a random site will ever even find it in a random Doom mod, nor will they care if they did.

I see all kinds of MIDIs being used everywhere and never heard of anyone not being able to use one.

40 minutes ago, Nevander said:

But how often is that even enforced? I seriously doubt the author of some random MIDI from a random site will ever even find it in a random Doom mod, nor will they care if they did.

I see all kinds of MIDIs being used everywhere and never heard of anyone not being able to use one.

just because you know you're capable of writing down your neighbor's secret family recipes without them noticing does not mean that you should

I very rarely see disputes over midi permissions. As long as the file doesn't come with a "please don't use this in other maps" warning, usually you're fine. Of course if you want to be 200% sure you should always seek a clear permission, but realistically speaking you've highly unlikely to get into trouble even if you don't ask anyone. Well, it's up to you to decide how nice you want to be.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

I seriously doubt the author of some random MIDI from a random site will ever even find it in a random Doom mod, nor will they care if they did.

I've heard a few of mine pop up in community projects.  Sometimes with credit, sometimes without.  I'm cool if they credit and all, but I've got no problem deducting a star in my review if something of mine is used without credit.

4 minutes ago, silentzorah said:

I'm cool if they credit and all, but I've got no problem deducting a star in my review if something of mine is used without credit.

That's what I said in my first post. With credit is fine, without credit is not.

Thanks for your input everybody, but I still have a question:

15 hours ago, Era Di Cate said:

I have a feeling that even if these are allowed, I am supposed to credit the artist, right? But what if I can't credit him?

(self quoting feels so pretentious)

If you're unable to credit the original author I'd suggest you at the very least supply a link in the credits file to the source of the midi explaining where it is from.