Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrisVR

I want to get back to modding! What is everyone using in 2018?

Question

Long long time ago I used to make simple Doom 2 vanilla mods, think of texture, sound, weapon, enemy packs and I made few simple maps on my own.

I want to get back to it, it seems so much fun still today. But what are the apps that everyone is using now?

I want to make mods and maps for GzDoom. There are so many apps, and most of they haven't been updated in a long time so I don't know if they are outdated or there is a separate branch somewhere..

6 answers to this question

I would say the most popular map editor around it's GZDoom builder, it might take a bit to get used to if you used to, but once you get the hang of things it's waay easier to use compared to the old editors, such as WadAuthor or DeepSea, also don't let the name GZDoom mislead you, since it's not a GZDoom only editor, you can make Boom/vanilla maps just as easy

As for graphics, sounds and everything else, SLADE does the work just fine, it also has a level editor too if you want to give it a try as an alternative to GZDoom Builder and also comes with some cool utilities that could help along the way

Happy modding! 

GZDooM Builder BugFix version is recommended since it is more up to date than the traditional GZDB as well as it implements a few features.

As for other things, go with DMPhobos' suggestion. However I also want to say that if you decide to do music, try OpenMPT. It's very difficult to master but a great way to do custom music.

1 minute ago, Equinox24 said:

Use doom builder 2, for maps.

Doom builder 2 is already 6-7 years old program. Gzdoom builder bugfix is most updated one or try doom builder x as alternative,also most updated one.