Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rocketman

Good Horror games

Some of us love games with positive messages (or not *cough Doom*). But some of us love a good scare. So, anyone have any good horror games?

SCP Containment Breach is the first which comes to mind.

There are a couple other SCP indie games (SCP-087).

There's the Lasting Light mod for Doom, definitely worth a look. https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=37786

Unloved mod is sort of this until it becomes more like slaughter towards the end.

That's all I've got, unless you want to hear Ghoul's Forest, but that gets old quick.

1 minute ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

SCP Containment Breach is the first which comes to mind.

There are a couple other SCP indie games (SCP-087).

That's all I've got, unless you want to hear Ghoul's Forest, but that gets old quick.

SCP is good. Ghoul's Forest, I might have to check that out.

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Atmosfear

How'd I forget this one? Yes, this one, absolutely.

Also, The City of the Damned 2 is a little horror, but not very much.

There's also Dark Doom, but I haven't been able to try that one out.

DarkDoomZ is better combined with the Doom Ambient Pack (a music mod)

But...if you want some weird combination, try it with a mod called NoDoom

I recommend Afraid of Monsters: Directors Cut. A survivor horror mod for Half-Life. 

Also check out the Silent Hill series especially the first three.

Edited by Ex Oblivione

F.E.A.R is my absolute favourite. I replayed it recently and it still stands up well. F.E.A.R 2 is also good but the third one annoyed me. The first time I played F.E.A.R I would finish each session shaking from adrenaline. I would turn all the lights off in the flat, crank the sound up and let my self become fully immersed in the experience. The game mechanics were awesome too. It's the only fps I've played with Matrix style "bullet time" and it was implemented really well. Cheap on steam too

Doom 3 gets a mention as well. I encouraged myself to play it slow and treat it as an atmospheric horror game rather than a fast paced blastathon.

Probably too old to really be enjoyable now but Iron Helix terrified me as a kid. You play as a scout droid sent into a run away planet destroying ship to try and stop it from blowing up a random planet. The entire crew has been wiped out by the ships self defense hunter-killer drone which now stalks the ship. You have no weapons, and no way to stop the hunter killer. If it sees you, you get blown up. You know exactly where it is at all times which seemed to heighten the tension becomes you'd be hiding in a corner and track it coming closer and closer. It might turn around, it might not. While this was happening you had to unravel the mystery of what happened. 

Really? Nobody's mentiond "Amnesia: The Dark Decent" yet?  Some crazy shit in that one.  Also, the "Penumbra" Series is awesome.  The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is very good too.

18 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Really? Nobody's mentiond "Amnesia: The Dark Decent" yet?  Some crazy shit in that one.  Also, the "Penumbra" Series is awesome.  The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is very good too.

Amnesia is pretty good.

Dead By Daylight, although it might be more Terror.

Muiltiplayer that gets all the sounds and mechanics right that truly makes you tense and intimidated. And it's multiplayer. Who would have thought?

Late game, as in you're 1337 it actually becomes victims bully Killer but that's a different story.

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

F.E.A.R is my absolute favourite. I replayed it recently and it still stands up well. F.E.A.R 2 is also good but the third one annoyed me. The first time I played F.E.A.R I would finish each session shaking from adrenaline. I would turn all the lights off in the flat, crank the sound up and let my self become fully immersed in the experience. The game mechanics were awesome too. It's the only fps I've played with Matrix style "bullet time" and it was implemented really well. Cheap on steam too

F.E.A.R. is one of my favorite shooters ever. Everything about it feels refined and impeccable. While you can only carry three weapons, they are some of the most satisfying items to use on practically everything. And possibly the best melee system I've ever enjoyed in a FPS. You want atmosphere? Turn off all the lights, make sure you are alone, have headphones, and play on the Extreme difficulty. With no reflexes. Extraction Point takes the horror up by a thousand. Perseus Mandate is about the action more than the horror, but some of the few horror hallucinations are easily more creepy and terrifying than the former two. 

F.E.A.R. 2 feels more reliant on jumpscares rather then the dark ambience of the surroundings, but still effective. F.3.A.R (such a stupid name) has what horror? 

All said, a decent FPS series, and highly recommended. Or just play the first game + the two expansions and stop there. 

Clock Tower on the ps1 scared the shit out of me. Point and click horror mystery adventure where the scissorman could show up at any time and start chasing you again. Really love Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth as well.

Also there's a very creepy point and click game called Scratches I remember enjoying.

Thief.

Why? Because it doesn't tell you it's horror. Half of the effect is lost if you already know a piece of media is horror.

Bloodborne, if you have a PS4. Definitely not a oogabooga jump scares horror game, but it would be remiss to not mention it in a horror game thread. It's creepy, it's unsettling, it has lots of  Bram Stoker meets Lovecraft stuff going on. Hell of a game to boot.

Alien Isolation was great, albeit a more conventional horror game. SOMA was pretty good too, and I really liked the first half of Resident Evil 7. First person horror games are very fashionable these days and there's no shortage of them. I guess it started with Amnesia, although that one never did anything for me.

Edit: Obligatory mention of the first four Silent Hill games. Everyone loves 2 but 3 was always my favourite. Some dodgy voice acting though.

Edited by DoomUK

I'd love to see a game that starts out normally but then slowly descends into horror. Would be even better if the marketing campaign was misleading.

Even IF you manage to pull it off, word will spread quickly on the internet and it will soon lose its effect. That's why I think that horror games are not exactly viable. 

The best horror would be the kind that you stumble upon it, having no idea what the game is about. You get tricked into a sense of security after which things start to gradually happen. It would work better in a pre-internet world. 

Afraid Of Monsters *Original HL mod* , Unloved *Doom mod* , Ghouls Forest 3 *Doom mod* , DUSK , Alien Resurrection *Ps1* , Doom 3 , SCP: Containment Breach , They Hunger* Original HL mod* , Postal 1 , Amnesia , Slender: The eight pages *old but still good* and White Finger *standalone horror game using the Quake engine*.

14 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I'd love to see a game that starts out normally but then slowly descends into horror. Would be even better if the marketing campaign was misleading.

Even IF you manage to pull it off, word will spread quickly on the internet and it will soon lose its effect. That's why I think that horror games are not exactly viable. 

The best horror would be the kind that you stumble upon it, having no idea what the game is about. You get tricked into a sense of security after which things start to gradually happen. It would work better in a pre-internet world. 

Apparently there is a silly little anime dating Sim that does that. I'm sure someone on this forum would know the name

Edited by Chezza

Outlast 1, Whistleblower, and Outlast 2.

Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The Evil Within 1 & 2.

Among the Sleep.

Friday the 13th.

Alien Isolation.

Dying Light.

Finally, my time has arrived.

Resident Evil series, especially the RE1 remake, 4 and 7. I like them all though, but not all of them are scary.

Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3. We don't talk about the others. 2 is a masterpiece.

Siren. Obscure classic. Really scary in that SH1 kind of way. I don't know that you can play 2 without emulation. Has a remake called Blood Curse.

Thief, especially the 1st and 3rd. Not horror games in and of themselves, but have strong horror elements and dedicated scary missions. Thief 2014 is a distant sequel loosely connected with its predecessors, and is also a discount Dishonored.

System Shock 1 and 2. Especially 2, which serves as inspiration for Bioshock 1, Dead Space, Alien: Isolation.

Afraid of Monsters: probably the single scariest Half-Life mod you'll ever play, not bad for what was originally made entirely by a 14 year old. Get the Director's Cut version.

Cry of Fear: Silent Hill, Stockholm Edition. Stand-alone and free, from the Afraid of Monsters Director's Cut team.

Lone Survivor: Like a 2D Silent Hill.

Alien: Isolation. An exercise in tension, and proof that you don't need to be unarmed to be a wuss hiding in a closet.

SOMA: Like Amnesia, only good.

Dead Space: In terms of pacing it's a lot like Doom 3, in that you'll be dealing with a mix of quiet moments, jump scares and sudden mass swarms of enemies, but the plot is pretty darn spoopy. 2 and 3 are more actionized, but 3 is really darn spoopy. Has quite a lot of supplemental material that greatly expands on the universe, but the only things you'll ever need are the original 2008 Dead Space comic and Extraction, and the Wii version includes a motion comic version of the 2008 comic. DS2's DLC is a sequel to Extraction.

FEAR: 1 is amazing. The expansions are great. 2 is my favorite. We don't talk about 3.

Condemned: It's a real shame they never finished this series, leaving it on a cliffhanger. It's another real shame that 2 is really silly. 1 is a classic of the era, however.

Duskers: Simple premise, engaging gameplay, definitely a love letter to Alien-style sci-horror.

Dying Light: What Dead Island should have been.

The Evil Within: Ultimately very silly for all its vintage-00s edgelord vibe, but a solid game nonetheless and the DLC has one of the most mundanely sinister villains I've ever seen in a game.

Bloodborne: Just because it's a fast-paced Dark Souls spiritual sequel doesn't mean it ain't scary as fuck.

Prey 2017: You'll never trust a coffee mug again.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy: Ultimately, they're ARMA-style milsims with monsters. But good games nonetheless.

Until Dawn: Like Bloodborne, PS4 exclusive. Has a bit of a similar vibe as old-school surhors, but very much more of an adventure game. There's some shooting stuff but it's all QTEs. Still really good in its own right, though.

The suffering 1 and 2. Great mood, and the beast that you can be. Love it!

Resident Evil 1-4 and maybe some of the first spin-offs (not survivor xD)
Silent Hill 1-4 (yes i like SH4,fite me)

9 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Silent Hill 1-4 (yes i like SH4,fite me)

SH4 is probably the most disturbing IMO. It makes me so uneasy. Like, 1-3 do the same, but not in the same way as 4...

Plus, the intro video:

7 hours ago, Starkiller said:

F.3.A.R (such a stupid name)

But, 3 luks liek E its su kuul!

Joking aside, original FEAR was a good one.

1 hour ago, Teder said:

The suffering 1 and 2.

I didn't play the second, but the first was really cool.

Thought of another while reading the comments: Nightmare House 1 and 2 for Half Life 2 Episode 2. It wasn't quite what it could've been, but it was pretty crazy once you got to 2.

+1 for Dead Space, but only the first one. I didn't like the third or play the second.

+1 for Amnesia. Only saw a playthrough of it, but it's cool nonetheless.

There was one game I remember watching Markiplier play through I can't remember the name of, but in it you actually played four separate horror games, one set in the arctic, another in a prehistoric forest, another on the sea, and the fourth in a rusted out old bunker.

In that same video we saw Spaghet, a different game. It's sillier than it is scary, but it's worth a look because of how ridiculous it is.