Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rocketman

Good Horror games

You know...

I like the survival horror action games with tension added like the first 3 RE games. Or the psychological horror that messes your head like the Silent Hill series (counting from 1-4). And there's the games that does jumpscares, which I must say, those are predictable and ok for a gameplay but, definitely, are not my favorite kind.

45 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

And there's the games that does jumpscares, which I must say, those are predictable and ok for a gameplay but, definitely, are not my favorite kind.

I don't think jump scares are fitting in a horror game, the moment you start running into them usually leads to a predictability of sorts which eliminates the tension and potential for further, bigger scares.

Psychological horror is imo the best kind of horror, nothing beats the feeling of something messing with your mind. Amnesia did a perfect job in this department. The only and greatest enemy is none other than you.

I don’t mind jump scares when they’re used properly. A perfect example is in Silent Hill 2 a game that is oozing with atmosphere and dread.  In the Toluca Prison when you enter one of the washrooms you can approach one of the stalls and James will knock on it to see if anyone is in there. There’s no response so you walk away and just before you leave there is a loud crash and a horrible scream. The first time that happened to me it nearly gave me a heart attack. I was playing SH2 after midnight with a good set of headphones.

- System Shock 1 & particularly 2.

- Doom 3 is also a good one, though many hate it due to being more of a horror game rather than a straight arcade shooter.

- Tokyo Dark, a point & click detective anime-style game with moral decisions & their consequences on your character's mental state that affect the endings you get. For an indie game, it's really good.

Not really a huge fan of the genre since they don't really scare me that much. System Shock games had me feel uneasy due to disturbing themes, Doom 3 legit scared me when I was younger & Tokyo Dark kept me playing due to interesting story-line & mysterious nature.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

I don't think jump scares are fitting in a horror game, the moment you start running into them usually leads to a predictability of sorts which eliminates the tension and potential for further, bigger scares.

Same reason I can't get into horror films. Last one I watched was Insidious 2 and I was too busy laughing at it to take it any kind of seriously because I called every single thing that happened.

Cabin in the Woods, on the other hand, did a great job playing with the various horror tropes. If it wasn't a parody, it would've made for a really good horror film.

But that's why I pointed out the Ghoul's Forest gets old really quickly. Once you know what it is and how to do it, it loses all of its scare.

12 hours ago, Chezza said:

Dead By Daylight, although it might be more Terror.

Muiltiplayer that gets all the sounds and mechanics right that truly makes you tense and intimidated. And it's multiplayer. Who would have thought?

Late game, as in you're 1337 it actually becomes victims bully Killer but that's a different story.

Dead by Daylight is super fun! I thought the fact that it's a multiplayer game would take away the scare factor for me but it's still rather unsettling; especially in the beginning of a match where you're all alone and have no idea what killer it is you're actually up against.

I also enjoyed playing Outlast. It could be pretty predictable and linear but it still managed to cause me to panic multiple times and it was the first time I've seen my friend actually jump. Good stuff.

Wow. I keep hearing people saying the Silent Hill games. I do in fact have SH2 for XB Original, but never played it. Thanks to everyone who replied!

I never beat that one. I got to the final boss, but couldn't beat him and never played again. I thought the ship made for a cooler setting because it was more along the lines of a dangerous survival horror type environment than the oil rig, which seemed really generic.