Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Battlefield 1942

I just bought BF 1942 because I pretty much fell in love with the Multiplayerdemo. The demo was performing really, really well on my computer. I have a Pentium IV, 1500 MHZ, 256 MB Ram and a GeForce 2 MX400, so that should be enough to let the game run smoothly. Contrary to what I thought I got regarding gameperformance, the game runs like shit. Framerate drops with every step or mouseclick and the game takes forever to fully load.
This fucking sucks since the demo had a great performance and so I expected to see the same framerate with the full version, but somehow DICE and EA fucked up completely it appears.

Anyone else got problems with this game or perhaps a simple solution to my problem?

Disorder said:

Anyone else got problems with this game or perhaps a simple solution to my problem?

Yes, your video card... it's not enough. But since the demo ran fine, maybe they just changed something around and you need new drivers. Dunno, try the new ones nvidia made, I heard they're actually shit though, so if you already have them, try going back to some older ones.

Shaviro said:

Get a better Graphics card. GeForce IV TI4600s are cheap these days!

Maonth, I see your point.
But that doesn't really explain why the demo ran fine and the full version runs like shit :)

Disorder said:

Maonth, I see your point.
But that doesn't really explain why the demo ran fine and the full version runs like shit :)

Maybe you've played more detailed levels than the MP one :P

Disorder said:

I have a Pentium IV, 1500 MHZ and a GeForce 2 MX400

. . .

I'd rather recommend a GF4 Ti4200. They are very fast and a lot cheaper than the 4600.

Shaviro said:

Get a better Graphics card. GeForce IV TI4600s are cheap these days!

How much are those, in Euro's?

boris said:

. . .

I'd rather recommend a GF4 Ti4200. They are very fast and a lot cheaper than the 4600.

Will I be able to run Doom III fine with the system I already have + a GF4 Ti4200?

boris said:

. . .

True! Just don't get any MX cards...

Disorder said:

Will I be able to run Doom III fine with the system I already have + a GF4 Ti4200?

333, i think.

I'm still waiting for those assholes to make a kick ass video card that isn't 1 freaking foot long.

orion said:

I'm still waiting for those assholes to make a kick ass video card that isn't 1 freaking foot long.

heh Why? I have a Ti4600. Doesn't bother me :P

Shaviro said:

heh Why? I have a Ti4600. Doesn't bother me :P

Well when I got the damn thing a few months ago it wouldn't fit in my pc, the case was just too small for it.

orion said:

Well when I got the damn thing a few months ago it wouldn't fit in my pc, the case was just too small for it.

WHAT? You must have a really small housing!

Does anyone know how to increase the virtual memory on my pc?
After closing BF 1942 for the first time I saw a little icon in the bottomright-corner of my screen telling my that I didn't have enough of that stuff..

Disorder said:

After closing BF 1942 for the first time I saw a little icon in the bottomright-corner of my screen telling my that I didn't have enough of that stuff..

it's always a good idea to keep the desktop clean (no large files or background) But it won't do you much good. 256 is not enough these days :( I have to get some more myself.

Disorder said:

Restarting sure helps =]

Disorder said:

A GF4 Ti4200 is about 150 Euro in Germany, a Ti4600 is 300+ Euro.

The reason why the game runs like shit in your comp is plainly the RAM. 256, despite what the minimum specs say, is not enough. Lower down the textures, or force some DXTCx compression.

Another good way to improve performance is to set your Sound Quality slider to anything but High. BTW, Hardware Accelerated Sound might actually run like shit in your comp, depending in your card/drivers combo.

The GF2MX is enough polycount-wise, so you should be able to get respectable frames with the drawing range set to Highest.

orion said:

Yes, your video card... it's not enough. But since the demo ran fine, maybe they just changed something around and you need new drivers. Dunno, try the new ones nvidia made, I heard they're actually shit though, so if you already have them, try going back to some older ones.

I'm curious as to these issues about the drivers, I using version 3.0.8.2 for my Ti4600 and haven't had and problems yet. The UT2K3 demo runs perfectly. Are these issues with the newest driver (4.0.4.1)?

Zaldron said:

The reason why the game runs like shit in your comp is plainly the RAM. 256, despite what the minimum specs say, is not enough. Lower down the textures, or force some DXTCx compression.

Thanks for the tips. But what the hell does DXTCx compression mean?
And, most important, how do I force it to compress?

orion said:

Yeh,I was gunna get a better graphics card but the Damn thing wouldnt fit in my motherboard case so I had to Get a crappy 32mb card...but its better than a crappy 8mb 1...I guess...

..Bah, I havent even considered trying BF 1942..Despite my step-dad works for EA, I'd rather just stick with the good Ol' Vitamin Doom :)

Damnit, nothing seems to be helping.
I tried to tweak a few things here and there but it has little effect. I read on some Battlefield forums that there are a lot of people who have the same problems. Some say a memory leak caused all of this, anyone know what causes a memory leak?

Disorder: What are your drivers? I'd say, that if you are using the latest NVidia 40.xx drivers, that is the problem, I've seen many a people complain about how unstable those drivers, so downgrade to 30.xx first... but if you aren't using the 40.xx drivers, ignore this.

I'm using the 30.82 drivers, so that shouldn't be the problem.
But I've been looking for more info on other forums and I've seen many, many people complain about the same problem. They say the game has a bug in it, which causes the memory to leak.
I've even seen people with a PIV 2 Ghz, alotta Ram and a GeForce 4 TI 4600 complain about the same problem, so I guess we're gonna have to wait for a patch to come..