Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

The Dune computer game appreciation thread

I've never heard the Dune adventure/strategy games being bought up even though they had a huge influence on the video game industry. I'm not the only one who has played the games, right? 

For those who do not know, the Dune computer games are licensed adaptions of the classic sci-fi novel and series by Frank Herbert. I believe there are 6 games developed under the license by different developers (Cryo Interactive, Westwood Studios, Intelligent Games). So I made this thread about your thoughts on the games, especially since I enjoyed the two of the games (as well as reading Dune). 

Here is my thoughts: 

- I've never played the first Dune game mad by Cryo, but the soundtrack is... something you need to listen to at least once in your life. Stephane Picq's work is some of the most majestic pieces of music I've ever listened to. 

- I've played Dune II, and I liked almost everything about it. The three houses, Arrakis, the units, the kickass Midi soundtrack by Frank Klepacki (at 17 years old! Must have been amazing to live in the 90's back then), the spice, pretty much everything. While archaic by today's standards, Dune II is a great game, and definitely deserves all of the honor of it revolutionizing the RTS genre. 

- Dune 2000 is the first Dune game I've played, and my favorite in the series. I feel that Dune 2000 is underrated, as it fixes some of the issues Dune II had and balancing it more. The story is fleshed out more, the good old cheesy FMV cutscenes are keeps you intrigued, a decent single-player campaign, and especially Klepacki's soundtrack, redone from Midi into an epic tracks taking motives from '84 movie. 

- Emperor: Battle for Dune is another great game. It is almost unknown, it is honestly sad. It was ahead of it's time back then in 2001. It had true RTS 3D graphics for the first time, a well-made single-player campaign using a non-linear map system for the three houses for attacking different territories and defending your captured territories, the balanced and versatile units, the deliciously campy, yet engaging FMV cutscenes, the three houses characterized by their actions, and once again, the badass soundtrack composed not just by Frank Klepacki, but David Arkenstone and Jarrid Mendelson for House Atreides, Harkonnen, and Ordos respectively. It still holds up well despite being 17 years old. Now I can see why people are begging for this game to be released on GOG.COM. 

- I've never played Frank Herbert's Dune, by Cryo, but from what I heard, it is hugely lukeworm, so I'm going to stay away from that as possible.

So I ask you, what are your thoughts on the Dune computer games? Do you think they still hold up well? Your favorite? Work as an alternate universe from Frank Herbert's classic? I am open for any responses. 

dunehouses.png.650ee8e10dff61be1502a3cd5fd4a945.png

II, 2000, and Emperor were all great and kinda advanced for their time. It's very difficult to pick a favorite. I think Emperor had a bigger influence on me because it had a darker and more cinematic aesthetic. I believe I was 10 years old or less when I played it and some cutscenes (this one in particular) seemed rather disturbing to me. But I played Dune 2000 more often as I found it more intuitive somehow. I think the absence of 3D camera made it feel simpler and also it had less visual clutter. Dune II is super cool too, but just like you I discovered it only after Dune 2000 so I always found it slightly underwhelming. So I guess 2000 is my favorite too.

I still listen to the soundtracks from time to time, they are truly fantastic, especially the badass Harkonnen stuff.

Dune was neat, but I found it kinda slow. Dune 2 was an important game but it's clunky and cumbersome to play now. Dune 2000 is like the remaster of Dune 2 and it's pretty fun, beat it a couple times. Sadly, never got to play much of Emperor.

Unfortunately, being licensed titles, the likelihood of being sold again through a store like GOG is low. Much like Westwood's other licensed title Blade Runner.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

II, 2000, and Emperor were all great and kinda advanced for their time. It's very difficult to pick a favorite. I think Emperor had a bigger influence on me because it had a darker and more cinematic aesthetic. I believe I was 10 years old or less when I played it and some cutscenes (this one in particular) seemed rather disturbing to me. But I played Dune 2000 more often as I found it more intuitive somehow. I think the absence of 3D camera made it feel simpler and also it had less visual clutter. Dune II is super cool too, but just like you I discovered it only after Dune 2000 so I always found it slightly underwhelming. So I guess 2000 is my favorite too.

I still listen to the soundtracks from time to time, they are truly fantastic, especially the badass Harkonnen stuff.

It's even creepier if the player is on Copec's side. Gunseng being tortured is just frightening. 

The Harkonnen soundtrack is definitely awesome. Here is some of my favorites: 

You can't blame me for playing a couple of these tracks in Doom. It's really that awesome. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Dune was neat, but I found it kinda slow. Dune 2 was an important game but it's clunky and cumbersome to play now. Dune 2000 is like the remaster of Dune 2 and it's pretty fun, beat it a couple times. Sadly, never got to play much of Emperor.

Unfortunately, being licensed titles, the likelihood of being sold again through a store like GOG is low. Much like Westwood's other licensed title Blade Runner.

Dune 2 definitely clunky to play now. Only controlling one unit at a time is a chore. Dune 2000 has aged like fine wine, although some missions were hard as hell. A shame you didn't get to play much of Emperor, there is something about it that makes it a fun game for me. 

It definitely sucks that we won't see some genuinely good licensed games re-released. Most licensed games are flat out terrible. 

Edited by Starkiller

Dune 2000 had such a great soundtrack. I sank so much time into it as a kid, it really brings me back. Incredibly memorable. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

6 hours ago, MarsHappyNation said:

Dune 2000 had such a great soundtrack. I sank so much time into it as a kid, it really brings me back. Incredibly memorable. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

I played Dune 2000 for the first time last year, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The soundtrack is great indeed. Still play both Dune 2000 and Emperor from time to time. It's replies like your's that makes me feel great that I make these threads. 

Wow, I had no idea a computer game existed for this classic book. So glad I seen this now and learned something new today! 

I've played a lot of Dune on Sega Megadrive back in the time.

5 hours ago, DeadAstronaut said:

Wow, I had no idea a computer game existed for this classic book. So glad I seen this now and learned something new today! 

Glad to hear. You know, it always scares me and still does that I can be missing something that is really good out. Truly an experience. 

On 5/18/2018 at 7:44 PM, Memfis said:

That music is excellent. Thanks. I played the dune rpg and dune 2, but not dune 2000 and emperor, so I missed this music completely. Listening now to it. The bad guys have the best music.

11 minutes ago, Pirx said:

That music is excellent. Thanks. I played the dune rpg and dune 2, but not dune 2000 and emperor, so I missed this music completely. Listening now to it. The bad guys have the best music.

Why do the evil factions in RTS games have the best music? The Soviets, Yuri, Nod, and the Harkonnen have a lot of fans (myself being a Yuri follower), because they are that badass. 

I will say though, the Atreides and Ordos soundtracks in Emperor isn't half bad. Still awesome enough for the good guys and other bad guys.