Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Is Split-Screen Multiplayer Dying?

53 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Never cared for it.

Me neither, not even when I had the possibility.

Not much else to say on this topic...

I always loved split-screen, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I prefer it over online MP. I'm a fan of both more or less equally.

Gotta admit, though, I do miss split-screen.

9 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

I haven't demanded a thing, I'm just curious what's happened?

10 hours ago, Flesh420 said:

What the fuck is going on here?  How is this acceptable?

yeah this totally isn't demanding it of the pretense of not doing so being blasphemy, sure

32 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

yeah this totally isn't demanding it of the pretense of not doing so being blasphemy, sure

You don't know what they meant, do you?

I played games with split-screen with my brother or cousin. Yes, it was fun at that moment but now it's like "Yeah, it's all online now...better move on" sort of thought on me. Better get used to the idea that this online type of gameplay is the standard gameplay for now. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I played games with split-screen with my brother or cousin. Yes, it was fun at that moment but now it's like "Yeah, it's all online now...better move on" sort of thought on me. Better get used to the idea that this online type of gameplay is the standard gameplay for now. Simple as that.

Well then have fun experiencing lag, being teabagged, quickscopers, server issues, and of course servers going down.

31 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Well then have fun experiencing lag, being teabagged, quickscopers, server issues, and of course servers going down.

Like I said, move on and deal with it. That's how it is. 
BUT, there should be some games that still uses split-screen for specific gameplay mods...racing games can be one of them...

I hate the "just get a second/third/fourth console or computer!" argument too, I have to say - mainly because I find it to be representative of a wasteful mentality. Costs far more money to buy, uses 2X - 4X the power depending on how many friends you want to play with, requires 2 - 4 televisions/monitors on top of the duplicate consoles/computers... and where do you think all that shit ends up down the line? In a fucking landfill.

I'm also not to keen on the "well I don't need it so no one should have it" stance because it's absurdly self-centered. This is more directed towards the players who needlessly pipe up against it moreso than developers, just to be clear.

Again I think devs should do as they please but there's more 'grossness' to this trend than a person realizes at first glance. It represents wastefulness, I can't think of any other way to slice it - Then again, this is the modern era and we're all wasteful slobs so I suppose it's only right.

I mean, I'd say most people don't actually have people to play local multiplayer but like to play multiplayer anyway, so providing a poor netcode for them to play with other people or even long distance friends is far, far, far less acceptable to the general population than skipping out on a feature a smidgen of buyers are going to use.

Look, I'm just going to be blunt here, this is incredibly off-base. No one said "I want splitscreen at the expensive of decent online play/good netcode", you strawmanned that shit to Hell and back. I also think the assumption that only a "smidgen" of people who play games also have social lives/like having friends over is entirely baseless. I'd venture that the reason more young gamers aren't clamoring for splitscreen support is because they aren't aware that it represented the norm from the 4th gen through to the 6th gen. They've come to accept the "welp just buy another console and TV to hog more power and toss in the trash a few years from now" way without question and who can blame them in the upside-down era where local multiplayer is somehow seen as an antiquated concept.

It seems pretty damn selfish, y'know, to not only demand that development time is taken away from the parts that most people find far more vital to their enjoyment of a game, but also claim not doing so is some abomination against the true nature of gaming or whatever.

Point one is something that no one asked for, so you're responding to no one. Point two is an extreme exaggeration coupled with downplaying the aforementioned benefits of in-built local multiplayer capability. I don't see why responses like yours always come up when people mention the numerous benefits of splitscreen. I feel that such responses to the idea are what kill it's appeal in the eyes of many developers despite, as far as I can tell, representing a loud minority of players. People who have friends and invite them into their home must surely represent the majority of players. It's just that those types of players are also less likely to be piping up in online forums that developers may see.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I get the feeling you're seeing shades of yourself in someone far more fanatical and thus claiming I'm talking about a strawman, when really it's a real breathing dude that's standing right in front of you and doing that shit where you can see it with no issue.

I think you're reaching to put it lightly, but let's just agree to leave it at that. We've each spoken our minds.

Don't you think it has faded away a long time ago? I ALMOST RARELY play ANY SplitScreen multiplayer game these days, I only play it if I HAVE TO. 

Guess the only split screen multiplayer I've ever played was for NFS Undercover, With my little brother on a PS2!

16 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Dude you can get teabagged and quick scoped in offline multiplayer too, also I dont see why it even matters if you get teabagged in a game.

I think that Split Screen is dying just because no console comes with 2 controllers anymore. Imagine buying another giant-ass Wii U controller just to play split screen on Mario Kart with your friend.

4 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

I think that Split Screen is dying just because no console comes with 2 controllers anymore. Imagine buying another giant-ass Wii U controller just to play split screen on Mario Kart with your friend.

Huh? Consoles very rarely came with two controllers. And you didn't buy WiiU pads, you bought Wiimotes or the pro controllers.

Honestly I wish it wasn't dying. I'm sure quite a few people here have fond memories of split screen Mario Kart or something like that. Split screen is always fun and it's a shame it's going away.

On 5/19/2018 at 1:08 AM, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Cheat? I play with AI bots because I like it.

The question was: Why do you need to see the bots view? Cause that gives you information that you don't usually get. Nothing wrong with bots, but you don't need split-screen for bots.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:46 AM, Doominator2 said:

Dude you can get teabagged and quick scoped in offline multiplayer too, also I dont see why it even matters if you get teabagged in a game.

Not to you maybe. I personally don't want to experience that, thank you.

I prefer split screen to be available where possible. I don't get together with friends for couch multiplayer that often, but when we do we always focus on the split screen games. A few weeks back some friends came over and we ended up spending a ton of time with the 360 version of DOOM II via split screen, as well as the Halo: Master Chief Collection. We had a blast.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, Ex Oblivione said:

I never cared for split screen multiplayer.

Oh, alright then man. That's your opinion.

Personally I'd like to see a comeback of it. And I'd like to see more PC (shooters especially) games have it. I mean there's USB controllers and lots of them but they pretty much go to waste without splitscreen. (Only ever use them for emulators.)

1 hour ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Oh, alright then man. That's your opinion.

Personally I'd like to see a comeback of it. And I'd like to see more PC (shooters especially) games have it. I mean there's USB controllers and lots of them but they pretty much go to waste without splitscreen. (Only ever use them for emulators.)

I didn't mean to offend you. :(

Seems pretty alive to me:

Gjlir7b.jpg