Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ferk

Tweaking Freedoom guy's face

Greyscale? That is weird, have you tried to set the palette to Doom? I had no problems with SLADE. I should mention that there are many options to use in SLADE to help know what you are putting in a WAD, like aspect ratio correction, resolution, color depth, etc.

lZUcN4J.png

I haven't seen too many sacrifices in detail when converting the sprites to 8bpp Doom graphics, so overall it looks good in-game. As for compatibility, I haven't really noticed any problems with that.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:38 PM, GuyNamedErick said:

Greyscale? That is weird, have you tried to set the palette to Doom? I had no problems with SLADE. I should mention that there are many options to use in SLADE to help know what you are putting in a WAD, like aspect ratio correction, resolution, color depth, etc.

lZUcN4J.png

I haven't seen too many sacrifices in detail when converting the sprites to 8bpp Doom graphics, so overall it looks good in-game. As for compatibility, I haven't really noticed any problems with that.

OK, I see. I made my own wad and it works in Chocolate Doom. Nice.

I uploaded my sprites to the github, or at least I think I did. I hope you guys see it on your end.

A bit off topic, I've been trying to mod the enemies and weapons. I don't know what I did wrong. I dumped the pngs into Slade, copied the offsets from the original sprites, and converted the pngs to Doom gfx. I loaded the wad up in Chocolate, but the modified frames are simply missing. However, the same process works for the HUD face.

Is there something special I have to do for weapons and enemies?

1 hour ago, Haaslok said:

I uploaded my sprites to the github, or at least I think I did. I hope you guys see it on your end.

A bit off topic, I've been trying to mod the enemies and weapons. I don't know what I did wrong. I dumped the pngs into Slade, copied the offsets from the original sprites, and converted the pngs to Doom gfx. I loaded the wad up in Chocolate, but the modified frames are simply missing. However, the same process works for the HUD face.

Is there something special I have to do for weapons and enemies?

Have you made a repository and uploaded the files online? There should be a commit with 42 changed files, which should be all the head sprites. You could link your fork here, though if the files uploaded successfully, you can make a pull request to the official Freedoom repository and try to merge that commit.

About those weapons and monsters, have you added some start and end marks? To add these marks, there should something to add a new entry on the top of the window, from there it'll prompt up a window to type a name for the lump. For sprites, it would be SS_START and SS_END. All sprites should go between those marks. You can use the up and down arrows to move these marks to where you want them to be. You would also need to use the -merge parameter since they are sprites in a PWAD.

24 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Have you made a repository and uploaded the files online? There should be a commit with 42 changed files, which should be all the head sprites. You could link your fork here, though if the files uploaded successfully, you can make a pull request to the official Freedoom repository and try to merge that commit. 

I made a fork, uploaded the files, and made a pull request. Here's the link

I believe that should do it. I was afraid of overwriting anything I shouldn't have.

28 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

About those weapons and monsters, have you added some start and end marks? To add these marks, there should something to add a new entry on the top of the window, from there it'll prompt up a window to type a name for the lump. For sprites, it would be SS_START and SS_END. All sprites should go between those marks. You can use the up and down arrows to move these marks to where you want them to be. You would also need to use the -merge parameter since they are sprites in a PWAD. 

OK, I am am not familiar with this. Is there a resource that elaborates on this further?

33 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

I made a fork, uploaded the files, and made a pull request. Here's the link

You uploaded them to the root directory.

They should not be there, but in "/graphics/", replacing the existing ones: https://github.com/Haaslok/freedoom/tree/Haaslok-HUDface/graphics

Remove that branch and create a new one with the files in the right place.

Also I don't think you created the pull request, it should be showing up here with the other pull requests: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pulls

In your branch there should be a "Create pull request" button, you need to press there, then write some short description and finally submit it.

Edited by Ferk

38 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

OK, I am am not familiar with this. Is there a resource that elaborates on this further?

Ferk responded to the Pull Request part so I don't have anything to add there. With SLADE, there is an "Online Documentation" under the Help tab (or you can go here), though you could mess around with SLADE to know your options. Now about those marks, you'll need them so that source ports can display the sprites in-game. It should look something like this.

WSKJb4d.png

There are icons above obviously, one of them is to add a new entry and pop up a window to type in the name, that way you can add those marks.

I was uploading the sprites through my web browser.

Should I commit them through the desktop app instead from now on? I was initially going to do that, but I was worried about messing with other's work.

github_commit.jpg.5dca9501f13bee7facc6616b80c523e0.jpg

15 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Ferk responded to the Pull Request part so I don't have anything to add there. With SLADE, there is an "Online Documentation" under the Help tab (or you can go here), though you could mess around with SLADE to know your options. Now about those marks, you'll need them so that source ports can know they are monster and weapon sprites. It should look something like this.

WSKJb4d.png

There are icons above obviously, one of them is to add a new entry and pop up a window to type in the name, that way you can add those marks.

Thanks. The documentation was right there, I should have been more observant.

Alternatively, if you don't mind the tinkering and you are gonna keep contributing, you can follow this guide:

That way you can build the freedoom.wad from the sources and you could just change the PNG files directly and rebuild the entire wad which should automatically take care of the start-end marks, offsets, etc. That's what I was doing... although that's also why I didn't provide a smaller wad.

EDIT: ow.. I think we posted almost at the same time... I didn't see you had just commented about that

You are not gonna mess up other people's work just by using the Github app.

Honestly using the web browser probably would be fine. But I think it would be preferable to use the desktop app if you plan to continue following the project, because that way you can update your fork (ie. you can "pull" from the main upstream version of freedoom), so your version is up to date before you make further changes to it in case there are conflicting changes. I don't think you can do that from the web (someone correct me if wrong), so your fork will remain in the version it was when you forked.

Edited by Ferk

35 minutes ago, Haaslok said:

I was uploading the sprites through my web browser.

Should I commit them through the desktop app instead from now on? I was initially going to do that, but I was worried about messing with other's work.

Ferk already explained quite a bit, but one thing I should mention is that the Github desktop app would show if you are replacing files rather than adding (which you'll be doing to replace the current head). From what I can see in the image, you added them to the sprites folder but didn't replace the the current head on the graphics folder (which is where it should be). It'll be important to know what files you'll be replacing and where they would be found. It'll look something like this.

c78slT5.png

Best to start a new branch over as mentioned and have the commit you need to make a pull request.