Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
der_einzige

How to make levels (not maps)

57 minutes ago, der_einzige said:

By levels I mean the different stages that you progress throughout the game. The original DOOM 2 has 32 of them.

you mean like maps

Yeah, those are pretty much synonyms, as far as Doom as concerned. Check the editing tutorials section to get started.

3 hours ago, der_einzige said:

I know how to make maps, but how can I make levels?

It seems like OP is asking how to combine multiple maps that are in separate files into a single wad. Maybe, maybe not, but it's the only interpretation where the question has a point, so I'll answer it. 

First off, make sure to have copies of your wads, in case you misunderstand me and something gets screwed up. (You should have copies anyway.)

- Open the map you want to be map02.

- In GZDB (or similar), go to Map Options (F2 by default).

- Change the level name to MAP02.

- Go to 'File' and 'Save Map Into', and save it into the wad with map01.

- Repeat, changing maps to the proper slot and saving them into the wad with the first map, until all the maps are in a single wad. 

Alternatively to rd's method you can open the different maps in SLADE, and rename the "map markers" in it to MAP01, MAP02, MAP03 etc. When done you can simply copy the whole map into another WAD of your choosing by selecting all the relevant entries. This method might be more prone to mistakes, because it requires you to pay attention to how parts of data are "placed", but if you know what you're doing it's both quick and reliable.

Find out what works best.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

It seems like OP is asking how to combine multiple maps that are in separate files into a single wad.

Wow, I would have never guessed that this was what the OP meant by what he said.

21 hours ago, der_einzige said:

how can I enter them (for an example, through using a switch)

It seems like the OP may also be asking how you move between one level and the next level.

If this is what you're asking, you have to designate a linedef to trigger the end of the level. For a switch (such as in most of the Earth-based levels), you give it Linedef Type 11 and for a walkover line (such as is common in the Hell levels), you give it Linedef Type 52. There is no need to apply a tag because the exit lines act the same way normal doors do and perform the action (in this case, ending the level) when you use the switch or walkover the line.

You will automatically end the level and go to the tally screen, where it will show you your kills, items, and secrets percentages and your time.

To get to the secret levels in Doom 2, you have to use Linedef Type 51 for a switch that leads to a secret level and Linedef Type 124 for a walkover line that leads to the secret level. The secret level locations are hardcoded into the source code (for example, see here), so they can only be properly reached if the secret exit lines are used in the proper levels.

It may be possible to change this, but someone with far more knowledge of the source code than me will have to explain this.

Damn, OP's only wondering how to create an iterative sequence of maps. I was looking forwad to this being some in depth discussion on the difference between a "map" and a "level". It's actually a fair question, if you like hair splitting.

35 minutes ago, Soundblock said:

Damn, OP's only wondering how to create an iterative sequence of maps. I was looking forwad to this being some in depth discussion on the difference between a "map" and a "level". It's actually a fair question, if you like hair splitting.

You could pose that question in a separate thread, so we don't derail this one with something that the OP isn't interested in.

I'd be interested to see what sort of responses you got.

16 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

You could pose that question in a separate thread, so we don't derail this one with something that the OP isn't interested in.

I'd be interested to see what sort of responses you got.

Think OP got the answer he was looking for? I'd postulate a sandbox vs origami approach if I was to do that I guess.

2 hours ago, Soundblock said:

Think OP got the answer he was looking for? I'd postulate a sandbox vs origami approach if I was to do that I guess.

@der_einzige

The only person who can answer whether the OP got what he was looking for is the OP. He got at least three different questions answered. Whether one of them was what he was interested in is something else altogether.

Who cares if any of the answers are right, just keep on offering new answers. Here's mine: uhh the OP is asking how to add new levels e.g. a MAP33 or MAP69 or whatever and wants to know how to control flow from one to the next. So to do that you use https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAPINFO

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM, der_einzige said:

I know how to make maps, but how can I make levels?

XbYPtPy_d.jpg.a3e5ccf79d0373cc5a7b7b61763c2e6a.jpg