Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

DOOM 2016 won't start, enters infinite black screen

Hi

So I just installed DOOM 2016 again, after 4 months and tried to start the game and it went into an infinite black screen and when looking at DOOMx64.exe after ctrl+alt+del it just says "no answer".

I checked various forums and tried to install it again, deleted some files suggested and tried different cmd parameters in the start to skip videos and +renderAPI 1 like suggested at Bethesda forums and still nothing. Just jamming in the black screen. Was there some update in the last four months during the time when I had it uninstalled which might have wrecked it because it worked fine in January when I last played it?

Anyone here have any tips on that? :)

Thanks

I was curious when this will appear here.

So, the official state is:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/199115/black-screen-error-with-latest-patch-march-2018

and reinstal

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

But, it didn't work for me.

Problem is realy in MVC++ cause my Doom works fine on wednesday, but stop worinkg on saturday. I installed and reinstalled MVC++ few version, tried command lines. Nothing helped. But I remembered that I installed battlefront 1 with other version of MVC++ on wednesday. I rollback my windows to time before install battlefront and doom now running properly, but my battlefront was kicked off from hdd by windows. So for sure if I install it back or something else problem will come back.

I tried installing also the MVC++ and it complained that it's unable to complete installation due to some error even I had removed any previous versions. Still looking at the add/remove programs options, it installed that version of MVC++.

I have the same problem with Quake Champions, it won't even start.. Nothing happens when I press play at Steam :D

After removing most of MVC++ my Origin program gone down. 

Ha, yesterday I installed Uplay, and Doom again doesn't work. Quake champions runs fine :/

EDIT: these are mine MVC++ installed, and today I installed latest nv drivers and Doom is running.

Untitled.jpg.20de46ad9ac0950804f4d2ec8bbeb889.jpg

As you see there are no 2015 rds

Edited by Teder

6 hours ago, Teder said:

After removing most of MVC++ my Origin program gone down. 

Ha, yesterday I installed Uplay, and Doom again doesn't work. Quake champions runs fine :/

EDIT: these are mine MVC++ installed, and today I installed latest nv drivers and Doom is running.

As you see there are no 2015 rds

Interesting. Currently I have only that one that id software/bethseda suggested to have. Gonna try install those too and see what happens :D

As you see 2015 version can't be installed. I didn't instal geforce experience neither.

5 minutes ago, Teder said:

As you see 2015 version can't be installed. I didn't instal geforce experience neither.

Got the same bug in the install complaining some unknown error when installing 2017... but it appeared in the installed programs list anyway after I deleted the 2015 version :D weird stuff. Time to try if DOOM works now, fingers crossed x)

Just now, Kristian Nebula said:

Got the same bug in the install complaining some unknown error when installing 2017... but it appeared in the installed programs list anyway after I deleted the 2015 version :D weird stuff. Time to try if DOOM works now, fingers crossed x)

:D yeah good luck!

:(

What gfx do u have?

For now I got 397.64 nvidia.

And about Quake champions? Still dead?

EDIT: yes, I found info that one guy deleted geforce experience and that helped.

7 minutes ago, Teder said:

:(

What gfx do u have?

For now I got 397.64 nvidia.

And about Quake champions? Still dead?

EDIT: yes, I found info that one guy deleted geforce experience and that helped.

I have Geforce GTX970 4GB Mini for Micro ATX motherboards... It has worked fine before and same drivers as you have. Quake Champions has been dead since I bought it in January :D I asked around Bethesda forums and they couldn't help me with it. Nothing they suggested worked.

Yesterday I tried to update my Windows 7 and it said the update isn't possible because some system file problem. Maybe I should wipe the sheet clean and install Windows again since the beginning but that would require so much work related to my music studio that it would take a couple of days and I just don't have the time to install everything again right now for the sake of one game :D

EDIT: At least Wolfensteins are working fine.. They just tend to get boring quite fast! :D

I reinstalled os 19 days ago. Doom was a first game I installed and worked fine until I installed battlefront, and yesterday uplay game.

EDIT: devs really have users in a deep...

I got QC since second beta.

Just now, Teder said:

I reinstalled os 19 days ago. Doom was a first game I installed and worked fine until I installed battlefront, and yesterday uplay game.

Ok. I will consider to reinstall os during my summer vacation if I can manage to do it in the middle of my summer tour as a music artist. :)

Bad is that I don't really now what helped to my doom. I unistalled almost all MVC++ than I installed 2013 and 2017 (2015 didn't want to install). And after all I reinstalled nv. One thing that I found is that some guy on steam forum turn off power management mode for optimal for Doom program settings.

I read almost all 15 pages https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/1696043263502515818/

It seems I might be onto the source of the problem... A key windows file Trustedinstaller.exe was missing which I replaced with another one from my laptop that I use for my gigs. Now Windows Update works again, and the Visual C++ Redistributables install errors stopped and the install completed itself properly. Downloading DOOM, fingers crossed x)

EDIT: Got it working now, wohoo! :D I suspect that Quake Champions will also work now, reinstalling it tomorrow!

Edited by Kristian Nebula

So, I am super duper late to this party, but I've been trying for a year to figure out this problem. It worked until I got a new mobo, cpu and gfx card and then it wouldn't load.  Googlefu wasn't cutting it for a while until I found a rabbit hole that finally answered the riddle!

So you need to download DDU (display driver uninstaller) and then download the newest display drivers.

Reboot your PC in safe mode (hold shift while restarting your pc via start menu).

Run DDU under the "highly reccomended" setting, which I believe said just uninstall and restart.

Wait til your PC restarts in normal mode.

Install the newest graphics drivers.

Annnnnnddddddddd Bob's your uncle! Worked the first time I tried it with zero issues.  Apparently it has something to do with OpenGL and Doom2016 Vulkan.  Not really 100% sure, but it worked and I wanted to share the love.  Good luck!