Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ResidentEvilGod

So, what kind of music do you guys like?

I'm a huge music fan (mostly metal) and love it just as much as I love DooM. So my question is, what do you guys listen to? What's your favorite band/artist? Favorite album? 

favorite genre: Black metal (I also love Death, Thrash, Grindcore, Punk, and trad metal) 

favorite band: I don't have a definitive one, but at the moment it's Taake 

Favorite album: Can't decide, so I'll put my 5 picks instead: 

5)De Mysterious Dom Sathanas by Mayhem 

4)Filosofem by Burzum 

3) Under the Sign of the Black Mark by Bathory 

2) Stronghold by Summoning 

1) Griseus by Aquilus

As far as genres go, my favorites are industrial, gothic rock, and trance.  But I also listen to a lot of old video game music.

Favorite bands: Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Clan of Xymox, Kraftwerk, KMFDM, Alstroemeria Records

Albums: lol too many

Edited by YukiRaven

Hmm, difficult question to answer. I like several genres, but I'd have to say my favorite is probably Epic, that is, an amalgamation of genres including Neo-Classical.

Favorite artist would have to be Thomas Bergersen.

Favorite album would be Orion, which, somewhat ironically, was made by Michał Cielecki for Two Steps From Hell.

2 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

As far as genres go, my favorites are industrial, gothic rock, and trance.  But I also listen to a lot of old video game music.

Favorite bands: Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, Clan of Xymox, Kraftwerk, Alstroemeria Records

Albums: lol too many

YES industrial is great! NIN is one of my all time favorite bands and I'm pretty sure a lot of the guys at Id Software were fans of them to lol.

Genre: Dubstep, Classical, Pop.

Band: One Direction, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Disturbed, Linkin Park.

Album: A lot of 'em. Cant decide.

Genres: extreme metal as a whole, classical music, rap, JPop, jazz, 80s pop, classic rock, some other random stuff. I'm fine with almost everything besides nu metal, honestly. 

Bands: Iron Maiden, Sodom, The Doors, Emperor, Motorhead, Destroyer 666, Dissection, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Dismember, Grave, Destruction, Tankard, Blind Guardian, Black Sabbath, Carcass, Death, Bathory, Satyricon, Iced Earth, Slaughter, Agent Steel, Cacophony, Behexen, Inquisition, Ghoul, The Who, Perturbator, ABBA, Blondie, Huey Lewis & the News, Pet Shop Boys, A Flock of Seagulls, Soft Cell, Wu-Tang Clan

3 minutes ago, ResidentEvilGod said:

YES industrial is great! NIN is one of my all time favorite bands and I'm pretty sure a lot of the guys at Id Software were fans of them to lol.

NIN isn't too bad, but I rarely listen to them.  I'm pretty sure the Id people were fans as well since Trent Reznor helped out on Quake and the NIN logo appears in both Doom and Quake.

I forgot to mention KMFDM and Suicide Commando.  I love them both <3

2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Hmm, difficult question to answer. I like several genres, but I'd have to say my favorite is probably Epic, that is, an amalgamation of genres including Neo-Classical.

Favorite artist would have to be Thomas Bergersen.

Favorite album would be Orion, which, somewhat ironically, was made by Michał Cielecki for Two Steps From Hell.

I haven't listened to too much neo classical. The only album I've really heard is In the Realm of the Dying Sun by Dead Can dance (which is Neo Classical Darkwave) but it's awesome. Also Griseus by Aquilus combines Atmospheric Black metal with neoclassical music and it's beautiful believe it or not.

Music I enjoy listening to is Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, The Electric Hellfire Club, Arcturus, Gojira, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, The Cure, Joy Division.

Just now, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Ever listened to Pirate Metal? Alestorm does that one.

I'm not a fan of metal, usually, but Alestorm is ultra cool.

Yeah I have. They're alright from what I've heard. Not really my cup of tea.

5 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Genres: extreme metal as a whole, classical music, rap, JPop, jazz, 80s pop, classic rock, some other random stuff. I'm fine with almost everything besides nu metal, honestly. 

Bands: Iron Maiden, Sodom, The Doors, Emperor, Motorhead, Destroyer 666, Dissection, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Dismember, Grave, Destruction, Tankard, Blind Guardian, Black Sabbath, Carcass, Death, Bathory, Satyricon, Iced Earth, Slaughter, Agent Steel, Cacophony, Behexen, Inquisition, Ghoul, The Who, Perturbator, ABBA, Blondie, Huey Lewis & the News, Pet Shop Boys, A Flock of Seagulls, Soft Cell, Wu-Tang Clan

Holy shit I thought I was the only one who loves extreme metal and 80s pop music lol.

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I like basically everything save for the "Taylor Swift types of genres".

Even this?

I like mostly different things under the very vague umbrella of "rock." Some of it is very mainstream. Some of it is not at all. 

Some of it is radio friendly alternative-ish stuff like Breaking Benjamin or Red or Staind, though not many bands that I didn't listen to already 10-15 years ago

Some of it is (pop) punk, like Alkaline Trio or Blink-182 or New Found Glory. Again, not a lot of new bands lately.

Some of it is heavier post hardcore or metalcore, like Coldrain or Beartooth or While She Sleeps.

Some of it is more "proper" metal (I don't get into all the subgenres), often European, like Dreamshade and Scar Symmetry.

And I also like mainstream country from about late 90s to 2010. I'm afraid more recently it's gotten a little too influenced by hip hop and R&B for my liking.

Almost everything I listen to is from this millennium. My oldest album is Weezer's Blue Album.

My favorite genre is something like melodic metalcore when it's kinda thrashy and still fairly technical and has a roughly even mix of clean and unclean vocals, preferably somewhat unpredictably interspersed. Favorite band? Too hard to say, but the ones listed above tend to top out their respective categories, at least.

I like classic rock, old rock & roll, rhythm and blues, funk, gospel, boogie, soul, motown... that family of music. I also have some classical and folk music I like. You'd be hard-pressed to find a song produced after 1980 that I like. :-\

And I'm only 27... who woulda thought!

@HAK3180 Obviously a Scar Symmetry fan with an avatar like that :)

I like heavy music and interesting music (vague I know)

Favourite genres and bands

Progressive metal: Dream Theater, Symphony X, Porcupine Tree

Melodic death metal: Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Insomnium, Mors Prinsipium Est

Progressive extreme/death metal: Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Ihsahn, Native Construct, Persefone, Gojira

Doom Metal: Swallow the Sun, In Mourning, Barren Earth, Paradise Lost

Avante-garde/just plain weird metal: Unexpect, Arcturus, Diablo Swing Orchestra

Heavy rock/metal-lite: Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin

Gothic/Symphonic Metal: Epica, Nightwish, After Forever

Uh, you may be detecting a theme of metal in all shapes and sizes.

Favourite albums (might as well be the favourite bands list too)

1) Dream Theater Train of Thought

2) Symphony X: Iconoclast/Paradise Lost

3) In Mourning: Monolith/The Weight of Oceans

4) Dark Tranquility: Damage Done

5) Insomnium: Above the Weeping World

6) Opeth: Watershed/Blackwater Park

7) Sevendust: Animosity/Alpha

Train of Thought always sits at the top for me, it's been my favourite album since it came out in 2004. The rest kind of move around depending on mood but those 7 will always be in a top 10 list. Most of the time. Probably. Tough decisions will need to be made. I keep looking at the list and thinking "what about this band?! They're awesome" but listing ALL of the bands that I like will not be true to this thread topic. And it'll take several days. I'm out

There were a few other topics on this subject already, but either way, my favorite genre is metal, primarily black, followed by death, doom and thrash, but I also like dark (ritual) ambient, epic music, country, synthwave, neoclassical, and jazz, even if not to the same degree, but that's irrelevant.

As for the list:

Favorite genre: Black Metal, very closely followed by death, and the others I previously mentioned.

Favorite band: Not possible to have only one for me, but some of my favorite include Antaeus, Limbonic Art, old Carcass, Gorefest, Funebrarum, Bathory, Immortal, Mystifier, Craft, Nekromantheion, Blood Incantation, Dead Congregation, Lord Belial, Merciless, Nocturnus, Odraza, Nunslaughter, Armagedda, Nifelheim, Abigor, Asphyx, Baphomet, Bloodstone, Grotesque, Carbonized, Timeghoul, and Beherit.

Favorite album: Again, not possible to have only one, but here's 5 I love (not in order):

1) Enthroned - XES Haereticum.

2) Adramelech - Pure Blood Doom.

3) Luciferion - Demonication (The Manifest)

4) Bathory - The Return....

5) Abigor - Apokalypse (EP).

I can't list specific songs/albums or genres so I'll just name off a bunch of my favorite artists and bands.

Broken up into groups of three to save space but not in any order:

Lana Del Rey, Grimes, Nicole Dollanganger
Nine Inch Nails, The Residents, David Bowie
Happy Rhodes, Emilie Autumn, Kate Bush
Red Velvet, The Pretty Reckless, Marilyn Manson
Petite Meller, Sneaker Pimps (and by extension Kelli Ali), Stream of Passion
Milla Jovovich, Regina Spektor, Kidneythieves
Sarah McLachlan, Joanna Newsom, Gem and the Deadheads
Vanity, Amy Winehouse, FKA Twigs
In This Moment, Karen O, Garbage
Bjork, Sóley, Angelspit

These days I mostly listen to newretrowawe/synthwawe and its subgenres. I used listen metal so much and I still appreciate it and listen it, but with smaller doses. I guess, I just don't have much angst against the world anymore these days. Also game soundtracks.

My favourite synthwawe artists: Pertubator, Dan Terminus, Lazerhawk, Carpenter Brut, Mega Drive, Dance with the Dead, Dynatron... and much, much more.
Metal stuff: Godflesh, Gojira, Pantera, Iron Maiden, old Metallica, Slayer, Fear Factory, Venom, old Ministry...

Edited by Myst.Haruko

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

These days I mostly listen to newretrowawe/synthwawe and its subgenres. I used listen metal so much and I still appreciate it and listen it, but with smaller doses. I guess, I just don't have much angst against the world anymore these days. Also game soundtracks.

My favourite synthwawe artists: Pertubator, Dan Terminus, Lazerhawk, Carpente Brut, Mega Drive, Dance with the Dead, Dynatron... and much, much more.
Metal stuff: Godflesh, Gojira, Pantera, Iron Maiden, old Metallica, Slayer, Fear Factory, Venom, old Ministry...

I have this same problem with heavy metal now in my adulthood. I listened to TONS of Metal in my youth but the older I get, I can barely tolerate it and only in small dosages where I can listen for like 10 minutes and then have to turn it off. I've never been able to listen to modern Metal with cookie monster screaming, machine gun sounding drums and detuned guitars. I've been replacing Metal in my music catalog with new wave dance records for almost ten years now. Probably the greatest decision I ever made as a musician was moving away from playing Metal style on guitar and venturing off in other styles where I eventually found my calling with glam rock and blues. 

Love synth wave. Great artists you mentioned there. I would add Trevor Something, he truly is a gift to us. 

My music styles I greatly prefer are classic glam rock (Bowie and Marc Bolan) along with blues/r&b based rock (Rolling Stones and Chicago) and I am a total synth nerd at heart with new wave. Love Gary Numan, John Foxx (Ultravox), Depeche Mode, New Order and Italo-Disco/High NRG style from Giorgio Moroder and Dave Rodgers (Aleph). Love 70's style R&B and Funk too. Ohio Players, Parliament-Funkadelic, Stevie Wonder etc. 

Favorite genres: progressive metal, synthwave, psytrance, Japanese folk music, video game music

Favorite bands/artists: Haken, Gojira, Leprous, Devin Townsend, Steven Wilson, Celldweller, Machine Head, Lamb of God

Favorite albums: Toehider - "GOOD", Gojira - The Way of All Flesh, Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2, Haken - The Mountain, Machine Head - The Blackening, Celldweller - End of an Empire, Stam1na - SLK, Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

To mention a select few.

45 minutes ago, DeadAstronaut said:

I've never been able to listen to modern Metal with cookie monster screaming, machine gun sounding drums and detuned guitars.

You've always got to wipe their spit out of the speakers when you listen to it, too.

Genres suck. I can't even define a lot of the artists I listen to by a single genre because they switch up their styles so often. Sometimes on the same album. I'll just sum it up and say I like dark and gloomy music with a sprinkle of good feelings. Like a grey world with an occasional rainbow.

My new (and still growing) playlists so far contain the following artists:

3TEETH / Alice Glass / Atmosphere / Birthday Massacre / Blanck Mass / BONES

Bring Me The Horizon / cat soup / Chelsea Wolfe / Chris Travis / CHVRCHES / Craig Xen

Crim3s / Crosses / Crystal Castles / Cypress Hill / Cure / Danny Brown

Dan Terminus / Denzel Curry / Death Grips / Deftones / Dir En Grey / Drew The Architect

drip-133 / Emma Ruth Rundle / Enter Shikari / Front Line Assembly / ghost/\/ghoul / Ghostemane

Grimes / Have A Nice Life / HEALTH / Ho99o9 / Home / How To Destroy Angels

KMFDM / Lil Ugly Mane / Low Roar / M83 / Mac DeMarco / Machine Girl

Marilyn Manson / Mindless Self Indulgence / Method Man / Nine Inch Nails / oOoOO / Purturbator

Ramirez / Sidewalks & Skeletons / Slipknot / Smashing Pumpkins / Soundgarden / Stepdad

Street Sects / $uicideBoy$ / System of a Down / Trevor Something / ToyTree / Type O Negative

Whitewoods / Wu-Tang Clan / Xavier Wulf / Earl Sweatshirt / Vince Staples / monomer

Gost / Highly Suspect / Fuck Buttons / Vulturehead / Crossfaith / Emmure

Suicide Silence / Black Dahlia Murder / Job for a Cowboy / Oceano / Del The Funky Homosapien / Aesop Rock

Video Games music. , particularly ambiant ones.

I can't really answer the questions , I listen maybe to VGM 95% of the time.

3 hours ago, DeadAstronaut said:

I've never been able to listen to modern Metal with...machine gun sounding drums...

What if you thought of it as more of a chaingun?

Rock music - expect grunge, alt.rock, 90% indie I ever heard.

Metal music - expect symphonic/gothic metal, melodic power metal, most of SMDM, nu-metal/alternative/"visual pop" and metalcore.

Favorite genres: stoner, psychedelic rock, heavy psych, kraut, jam bands e t.c. stuff, hard rock from 70s, all of this stuff power/heavy/speed from 80s, thrash metal, dirty blues, southern shit, some classic death metal, drone some dark folk, guitar music.

From Led Zeppelin to Meshuggah and Carcass, from The Rolling Stones to Electric Wizard, Clutch and Slayer, from David Bowie to Type O Negative and Nine Inch Nails e t.c.

Favourite genres: classic heavy metal (practically anything from the 80s and 90s era I like), thrash metal, some symphonic metal here and there, a bit of electronic (mainly Moroder and Daft Punk), a bit of disco (my mood has to be really special for that), random older rock or pop songs (example: Enola Gay, Everything's coming up roses, Don't fear the Reaper, Take on me, Enjoy the silence, Hold the line, e.t.c.) and the newest addition to the list is prog rock.

Favourite bands/artists: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, anything with Dio or Ozzy, Megadeth, Metallica

Also, I like Omen, Grim Reaper, Saxon, Giorgio Moroder, Camel, e.t.c.

Favourite albums: I can't even choose an album from Iron Maiden alone, so I will just post some albums I like from each band (no particular order).

Iron Maiden: Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time

Judas Priest: Painkiller, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Angel of Retribution

Dio: Rising, Holy Diver, Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Magica, Heaven and Hell

Ozzy: Blizzard of Ozz, Paranoid, Master of Reality

Megadeth: Killing is my business, Countdown to Extinction, Rust in Peace, Cryptic Writings

Metallica: Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Black album, And Justice for all