Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nexxtic

Changing the location of pickup messages

Question

Hey all,

I was wondering how I can change the position of the pickup messages. You know, those messages you see at the top left corner after picking up an item?

I'm quite familiar with the file structure of Doom, yet I fail to find a way to change the location

Kind regards

9 answers to this question

On 5/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Message

Unless you're looking to enforce a specific location for messages in a given mod.

I know JohnnyFive did it in Cold as Hell, but I can't figure out how.

If he did it there, open his mod in SLADE and see how he achieved it.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:50 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I know JohnnyFive did it in Cold as Hell, but I can't figure out how.

It doesn't actually, they were replaced with a scripted solution. The game messages are either blanked or hidden.

@Nexxtic There is no moddable way to move the game message location. All source ports (as far as I know) either have it static or as a user option, and is not modifiable. So other than the over-engineered approach Cold as Hell had, the simple answer is "you don't".

On 5/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, Nexxtic said:

Anyone else knows how to achieve this?

Yea there's a hacky way that I'm not sure is worth the trouble but nevertheless...

Write ACS scripts per pickup that do both SetHudSize and HudMessage with the string from LANGUAGE and then compile the library and then add the script execute to every item's pickup state for each individual item script.

Make the id parameter the same on all of them so you don't get overlapping messages. Use any message mode you like (fade in out, type on, plain, etc.).

Also make sure to log the messages to the console so players can always see every item they get in a big group.

I'm not able to make an example WAD right now but that's how it could be done.

The Eternity Engine supports this. See the EDF basics. You can use layout and a small selection of colours. The screenshot shows a pickup line that's adjusted a few lines to the middle, centered, and using a brick colour for the 'red' word.

[Edit] Keep in mind that this is still a "pickup" message. Meaning, the next item(s) you pick up will either drown out this line, or be displayed below it awkwardly. Or possibly both, haven't tested this myself.

etrn07.png

Standard game messages with position other than left corner is silly and pretty annoying.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:38 AM, Mordeth said:

The Eternity Engine supports this. See the EDF basics. You can use layout and a small selection of colours. The screenshot shows a pickup line that's adjusted a few lines to the middle, centered, and using a brick colour for the 'red' word.

[Edit] Keep in mind that this is still a "pickup" message. Meaning, the next item(s) you pick up will either drown out this line, or be displayed below it awkwardly. Or possibly both, haven't tested this myself.

etrn07.png

can you change the position in settings?