Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leithold

GZDOOM Freezing

I was able to run gzdoom in Win 7 but, suddenly it is not working anymore. It is freezing at startup and doesn't present the game screen. I'm using a doom II wad and tested also with doom wad without success. What can it be the problem??

I have a nvidia graphics running in a win 7 machine with core i7. It started to freeze this afternoon without a specific reason.

I have a similar issue as this post:

Log started: Sun Jul 30 23:06:56 2006 adding C:/UNZIPPED/GZDOOM-BIN-1-0-18/gzdoom.pk3 adding ./doom2.wad (2997 lumps) CPU Speed: 1694.889848 MHz CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700MHz 4 CPU 1700MHz Family 15, Model 0, Stepping 10 Features: MMX SSE SSE2 I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD Setting DirectSound output succeeded Setting driver 0 succeeded Initialization succeeded GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation GL_RENDERER: GeForce3/PCI/SSE2 GL_VERSION: 1.5.5 GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control Occlusion query enabled. Resolution: 640 x 480 Init DOOM refresh subsystem. Init miscellaneous info. Init Playloop state. Setting up sound. S_Init Checking network game status. player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)

At the last line, the gzdoom crashes...

Does your CPU have an integrated Intel graphics chip? If so, making sure GZDoom is running the nVidia card may fix it.

Aside from that, I can't imagine a thing to do, so @Rachael and/or @Graf Zahl will be able to help you, I'm sure.

Also, @Gez has been able to answer any PC question I've had, so he could probably help, too.

Hm, according to that log it looks like the opengl version on the gpu that gzdoom is trying to use is only 1.5.5, maybe a recent gzdoom update made it require opengl 2.0 or higher, that might be the problem. Is that the version on the integrated graphics or the Nvidia card? Either way maybe you can see if you have an update for the gpu drivers that can push it over 2.0 then try again.

At any rate though I suspect gzdoom will probably run like crap even if it does wind up working given that it seems like you have pretty low specs (1.7ghz cpu and a gpu with only ogl1.5 is probably really old and not very good as well)

Edit: actually looking more carefully at the log I can see it is indeed trying to use the Nvidia card, which is a geforce 3 series card, which is definitely a really old series of GPUs. Maybe you will need to buy a new one if you want to use the newest gzdoom versions if a driver update isn't available

15 hours ago, Leithold said:

Log started: Sun Jul 30 23:06:56 2006

I don't think this is a modern log, though, because this line suggests this log was made twelve years ago, so I've no idea where to start.

He also said it was similar to this log, but not if it was or wasn't this one specifically.

What version of GZDoom are you using?

GZDoom 1.0.18? I don't think that has much in common with the current 3.3 versions anymore.

We definitely need more info about the actual system this happens on, the GZDoom version you used and the output that creates. This ancient log is really of no help at all.