Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Can't run Unreal and UT99 offline

This would be long to explain and I'm typing on mobile so I'll try to make it brief but with all the details.

I had this problem a while back where Unreal Gold and UT99 would refuse to run if not connected to the internet. Basically rundll32.exe started by Games Explorer in Windows 7 was the problem, stalling the Unreal.exe from launching because it's trying to connect to a web address to retrieve info on the game.

I was able to bypass this by changing the "ServiceLocation" of GameUX to a dead end local path in regedit. It worked just fine, until I tried today.

I recently cloned my failing drive which had these games on it an I suspect this may be the root cause of this no longer working. The dead end path I set was leading to this drive (i.e. D:\fuckyou\). I had booted without this drive in before I cloned it. I checked the ServiceLocation and somehow it reverted to the web address, probably due to booting with the drive taken out.

So I put the dead end path back but it's not working at all now! It doesn't even care if the Games key is missing entirely. This is some bullshit and I am very confused.

Before you ask why I'm posting this here, the Steam discussions as well as reddit were nothing but unhelpful dumbasses, if I even got a reply at all.

Shit.

It was working perfectly with 227i with no problems before I had to replace my hard drive it's installed to.

I can try some more things but it looks like it's unfixed for good for some reason. I'll just have to ask on Oldunreal to actually get the answer I'm looking for I guess.

Is there any simple mod/port that I just run properly my UT99 without reading tons of thread how to run that game? I installed 227i without problems, but game doesn't run smooth, it's lagging randomly, and crashing.

EDIT:

no matter:

Untitled.jpg.48fdd1dafe511d7de4e0f6f65463cee6.jpg

You just need:

https://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html

OMP-UT patch, 227i, opengl, and framerate desired, and...

...MULTIKILLLL!

Edited by Teder

Ok suddenly it works again. I connected to the internet and launched both, then disconnected and tried again and it's working now. I'm sure it will fuck up again but at least now we know it can be re-fixed.

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

Ok suddenly it works again. I connected to the internet and launched both, then disconnected and tried again and it's working now. I'm sure it will fuck up again but at least now we know it can be re-fixed.

If I may ask, why can't you just remain connected to the internet? Is it metered?

On 5/27/2018 at 3:58 PM, R4L said:

If I may ask, why can't you just remain connected to the internet? Is it metered?

I can, but I choose not to. There's no reason to constantly have an internet connection, I hardly ever do things online anymore. I also don't like the security risk of having an always connected computer, which leaves me open to attacks through my modem and switch that supplies connections to other devices. In a nutshell, I'm paranoid about security and a disconnected computer is more secure.

22 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I can, but I choose not to. There's no reason to constantly have an internet connection, I hardly ever do things online anymore. I also don't like the security risk of having an always connected computer, which leaves me open to attacks through my modem and switch that supplies connections to other devices. In a nutshell, I'm paranoid about security and a disconnected computer is more secure.

Fair enough. Glad it's working now!