Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Idea for a Boss Fight

Recommended Posts

Just a little idea I thought of.

 

You start with a full array of weapons (very limited cells and rockets) plus a megasphere. 

 

Boss is a demon with 2500 (HMP). More on harder, less on easier.

 

Attacks with exploding fireballs that do 80 + 5-30 per hit and a bite that hits for 120-150.

 

There are monster spawners in the arena. The boss cannot, however, be telefragged by them.

 

Boss does not do infighting nor will anyone attack it intentionally.

 

Only attacks by spawned monsters can hurt him. Players weapons are completely useless and are for clearing the crowd only.

 

This idea is similar (but a bit different) from my map30 fight for WOOO 2.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Just a little idea I thought of.

 

You start with a full array of weapons (very limited cells and rockets) plus a megasphere. 

 

Boss is a demon with 2500 (HMP). More on harder, less on easier.

 

Attacks with exploding fireballs that do 80 + 5-30 per hit and a bite that hits for 120-150.

 

There are monster spawners in the arena. The boss cannot, however, be telefragged by them.

 

Boss does not do infighting nor will anyone attack it intentionally.

 

Only attacks by spawned monsters can hurt him. Players weapons are completely useless and are for clearing the crowd only.

 

This idea is similar (but a bit different) from my map30 fight for WOOO 2.

What would the splash damage be for the boss's fireballs (assuming there would be splash damage)?

 

I assume that the player could be telefragged by the monster spawners. How many spawners would there be?

 

So, the only way to hurt the boss would be to get another monster to shoot at you (or bite at you) while standing near the boss?

 

I would think you'd want to have some sort of ammo spawn (perhaps more limited than the number of monster spawners, perhaps the same) so that the player wouldn't run out of ammo and be reduced to trying to dodge monsters while getting them to accidentally hit the boss. Then again, maybe that's what you want.

Share this post


Link to post

The 5-30 constitutes splash damage, which because of the density of monsters, is a likely scenario.

 

Yep, spawners telefrag. Adds to the challenge! The number of spawners depends on the size of the arena, of course. Smaller arenas might have just one or two, while bigger ones could have as many as four to six. Speed of Doom itself has 20!

 

Yep. Only way to kill it is through other monsters projectiles. Just like the archvile, other monsters will not attack the boss. No infighting amongst the boss.

 

Ammo spawn sounds like a good idea. But at the same time, I do think too much ammo would cause people to abuse the BFG. The big threats (aside from the boss) are Archviles (very rare), and Pain Elementals (not as rare - but at least as dangerous). Health would definitely be needed, and armor - maybe every two minutes the player regenerates 15 health and 15 armor? 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Ammo spawn sounds like a good idea. But at the same time, I do think too much ammo would cause people to abuse the BFG. The big threats (aside from the boss) are Archviles (very rare), and Pain Elementals (not as rare - but at least as dangerous). Health would definitely be needed, and armor - maybe every two minutes the player regenerates 15 health and 15 armor? 

I don't understand why you would care if people abuse the BFG. They can't hurt the boss with it and they would only be killing the very monsters they need to stop the boss. I suppose your concern may be that the players may just hasten to get rid of the monsters they think they can't use against the boss.

 

As for a health, you'd have to work it out. Perhaps there could be some sort of health regeneration, where the players can go to a place and regenerate their health at a faster rate--the only catch would be they would have to stand still long enough to regenerate, which would expose them to all sorts of enemy attacks. You could have a slower automatic regeneration at regular intervals or a health spawn (maybe a stimpack and some armor bonuses) periodically, too.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I don't understand why you would care if people abuse the BFG. They can't hurt the boss with it and they would only be killing the very monsters they need to stop the boss. I suppose your concern may be that the players may just hasten to get rid of the monsters they think they can't use against the boss.

 

Bingo. The BFG would be there - but players would not be able to totally spam it. And even monsters they could use vs the boss - when there are 3 mancubi, 2 knights, and 5 imps on the map, I don't think they will all be able to hurt the boss. More likely than not - the mancubi and the knights will infight. The intent is to be able to use the BFG for emergencies give a couple extra shots.

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

 

As for a health, you'd have to work it out. Perhaps there could be some sort of health regeneration, where the players can go to a place and regenerate their health at a faster rate--the only catch would be they would have to stand still long enough to regenerate, which would expose them to all sorts of enemy attacks. You could have a slower automatic regeneration at regular intervals or a health spawn (maybe a stimpack and some armor bonuses) periodically, too.

 

Good idea.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×