Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MattGuy1990

Knights and Barons' death animations confuses me :/

I mean, I suppose the intent was to show the torso and downer body detaching from eachother, but because the dead sprite doesn't rotate it feels more like the upper part completely vanishes. Plus the way the part detaches isn't made much clear from the animation.

I think someone should fix this, as in making a new animation where both body halves are being showned, instead of one hidden away.

2 minutes ago, MattGuy1990 said:

I think someone should fix this.

That someone could be you. "But I don't know how" I hear you cry - fear not, practice makes perfect. It's the same way anyone else got the skills to make these kinds of edits!

But a more serious answer - Look out for some alternate death animation packs. I know I've come across a few in the past, and wouldn't be surprised if one makes the kind of changes you're requesting.

Probably play some WAD that alters death animation. There are plenty of those, but I don't know whether these can fix your problem...

^Dang, got intercepted by Dragonfly.

38 minutes ago, MattGuy1990 said:

I think someone should fix this

Do it. Man. Make Romero proud of you.

44 minutes ago, CWolf said:

Do it. Man. Make Romero proud of you.

Wouldn't you be making Adrian Carmack proud?

31 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Wouldn't you be making Adrian Carmack proud?

No. Not interested in re-doing somewhat that seems if not perfect then at least really good.

Besides, I'm a person of my own style of things, sorry.

44 minutes ago, CWolf said:

No. Not interested in re-doing somewhat that seems if not perfect then at least really good.

Besides, I'm a person of my own style of things, sorry.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the death animation for the barons and knights. I think they're fine.

I guess my point was that @MattGuy1990 would be making Adrian Carmack proud.

But maybe you're right. Maybe Carmack really likes that death animation and wouldn't like it fixed, in which case he'd be making someone else proud, and Romero is as good a person as any. Or Petersen.

Perhaps MattGuy's thoughts could be added into the sprite fixing project (if they're not already there, I only skimmed through the most recent few pages, which only extends to March):

When Doom originally came out, the death animation sprites and gibs were state of the art. A lot of people bring up the gore as wowing people, but we had not seen anything like this before in a previous game. It was one of many things that made Doom stand out from everything else at the time. 

Lol, I think I should've explain it better ^^' : I know that there are fan-made alternate deaths animations of Knights and Barons (hell, if you played BD or PB you should've see them already). What I mean is a new animation that substitutes the vanilla one, but without being too different from it; just enough defferent to show both halves of the Knight/Baron dead body.

Though an alternative would be having rotantig dead sprites for the two demons, but then people would wonder why the others don't have those as well.

Perhaps MattGuy's thoughts could be added into the sprite fixing project (if they're not already there, I only skimmed through the most recent few pages, which only extends to March):

This looks promising :)

This wouldn't really be appropriate for the sprite fixing project, it's intended only for minor fixes (individual pixels being wrong, misaligned offsets, etc.)

21 minutes ago, fraggle said:

This wouldn't really be appropriate for the sprite fixing project, it's intended only for minor fixes (individual pixels being wrong, misaligned offsets, etc.)

I know that the sprite fixing project title included the word minor, and from the front page the fixes did seem quite small. However, there did seem to be some mention about adding more rotations to some of the sprites (chaingunners, specifically). I'm not a graphically-inclined person, but adding rotations didn't seem minor to me, so I included a link to that thread in this one.

32 minutes ago, MattGuy1990 said:

Lol, I think I should've explain it better ^^' : I know that there are fan-made alternate deaths animations of Knights and Barons (hell, if you played BD or PB you should've see them already). What I mean is a new animation that substitutes the vanilla one, but without being too different from it; just enough defferent to show both halves of the Knight/Baron dead body.

Though an alternative would be having rotantig dead sprites for the two demons, but then people would wonder why the others don't have those as well.

Step 1: find or make some pixely pics for the death animation

Step 2: open slade, rename new pics with names of old ones you want replaced

Step 3: put markers around the new sprites

Step 4: play wad; enjoy new death animations

I have confidence that you can do it

Re: the d2msfp, if I'm correct their goal isnt to do anything along the lines of what this is asking for; their goal is to fix 1-pixel mistakes in existing sprites, not to make the next project broodles.

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That someone could be you. "But I don't know how" I hear you cry - fear not, practice makes perfect. It's the same way anyone else got the skills to make these kinds of edits!

Maybe he/she's too lazy to do that :P

56 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Maybe he/she's too lazy to do that :P

Lol, more like "I have no idea how to do that xD. I wanna learn how to mod Doom, but right now I only know how to make a map with Doom Builder.

I someone would do tht for me, I would be thankful to him/her ^^. I'm even gonna pay for it, if it's an incemptive...

3 hours ago, MattGuy1990 said:

I someone would do tht for me, I would be thankful to him/her ^^. I'm even gonna pay for it, if it's an incemptive...

You don't need to pay for help!Just read up stuff on the zdoom wiki for coding and all that and if you have any questions just ask us here on DW :D

7 hours ago, Fonze said:

Step 1: find or make some pixely pics for the death animation

Step 2: open slade, rename new pics with names of old ones you want replaced

Step 3: put markers around the new sprites

Step 4: play wad; enjoy new death animations

I have confidence that you can do it

Re: the d2msfp, if I'm correct their goal isnt to do anything along the lines of what this is asking for; their goal is to fix 1-pixel mistakes in existing sprites, not to make the next project broodles.

Step 5: Release your new WAD - I'm always ready for some new gibs.

They're getting blown in half, and the torso is falling backward.

I never really understood what I was looking at when the baron would die. I just figured it was somehow collapsing in on itself into a pile of pulverized baron.

Stomach blows up with intestines coming all over, that's how I thought about it.

(sorry if you feel this comment as violent/offensive)

Just now, TFK said:

(sorry if you feel this comment as violent/offensive)

We play a game about slaughtering thousands of demons in violent and explosive ways. I really can't fathom why you need to apologise for potentially offending someone.

Just now, Dragonfly said:

We play a game about slaughtering thousands of demons in violent and explosive ways. I really can't fathom why you need to apologise for potentially offending someone.

Thing is, I rarely say dark stuff like this in the forums.

@MattGuy1990

It turns out you haven't been the only one to wonder about this. In looking for a different topic about Barons, I came across this thread:

On 5/25/2018 at 11:22 AM, DeadAstronaut said:

When Doom originally came out, the death animation sprites and gibs were state of the art. A lot of people bring up the gore as wowing people, but we had not seen anything like this before in a previous game. It was one of many things that made Doom stand out from everything else at the time. 

I don't know, the Hitler death animation on Wolf 3D was pretty gruesome too, and it even had a death cam to let you appreciate it all the more.