Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShoDemo

Doctor Who marathon

Ok, so I saw this the other day and I wanted to share.

Apparently, they are having a Classic Doctor Who marathon on Twitch, starting at May 29, 11 am PDT and I got really excited for it. I wouldn't mind seeing some William Hartnell again, even though I have seen his episodes in the past and I could definitely see some episodes from the next Doctors.

I guess, I might watch some days for an hour or two if I find the time. Will anybody else be watching?

Doctor Who? xD
I wonder how long that marathon will be :O

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

Doctor Who? xD
I wonder how long that marathon will be :O

Just read that it will last till July 23rd.  :D

I don't think I have ever seen a single episode of Doctor Who. I often hear about it, but never took the time to check it out! I wouldn't even know where to begin lol.

9 minutes ago, Ex Oblivione said:

I don't think I have ever seen a single episode of Doctor Who. I often hear about it, but never took the time to check it out! I wouldn't even know where to begin lol.

Begin with An Unearthly Child. The earlier episodes hold up fairly well, even though a lot of what happens in them (especially with the Daleks) will get retconned later on. 

16 minutes ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Yes, it can become really overwhelming, considering the number of episodes in both the new and the old series. I first started watching the newer series, that started around 2005, with Eccleston and Tennant (did that near 2011) and while I haven't seen all the episodes there, I got a good idea of what the show was supposed to be and it seemed pretty fun, while also having some really good alien designs, lovable characters, time travel, gadgets, e.t.c. 

Then it was easier for me to go backwards to classic Doctor Who. IIRC, the old series doesn't get episodes with color until the 3rd Doctor and the first Doctor has some episodes that are more historic than scifi, plus somewhat meh enemy designs (can't blame them with the budget and technology they had at the time), so it might be a bit harder to watch for someone new to the series, but it is definitely worth it! Like @Ajora said, if you want to watch the older series and get a good intro, Unearthy Child is what you are looking for.

I watched some Dr Who episodes here and there but I still don't really understand it. Is the Doctor a spiritual being that incarnates in several humanoid forms? But each Doctor seems to have quite a different character. Or is it that the Doctor is like a spirit who is "possessing" different humans, and then the current Doctor's character is like a mix of the "hosts" character and the spiritual being?

The Doctor is a rogue Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, whose people regenerate upon death, taking on different human-like forms. Fundamental personality traits  and memories remain constant through out regenerations. The Doctor, for example is always essentially a person who helps others, while The Master is always a psychopath who seeks domination. Other traits may alter drastically, such as voice, personna and physical apperance.