Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboticmehdi2

Why Eternity

Why Eternity is a separate section on doomworld forum? (under "special interest")

I mean it sure is not the most popular source port out there, is it? I believe gzdoom/zdoom is the most popular and most doom mods are for gzdoom/zdoom. Am I right?

I have gzdoom on my computer with tons of excellent mods. I tried a couple of other source ports but found nothing superior to gzdoom and it's community/mods. What makes Eternity so special that it is a separate section here?

Am I missing something?

Should only the most popular source ports be allowed to have their own subforum?

The existence of more popular source ports will not make this subforum go away.

No, of course not. Don't get me wrong, I am not against of Eternity, I don't say that more popular ones must be here instead of it. I am not criticizing. Just curious and want to know why eternity. Thought maybe there's more to it that I don't know of.

So basically it has a separate subforum here because of it's hosting history on doomworld, ok.

Would turning the Eternity forum into a team make it less visible than it already is?

3 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Would turning the Eternity forum into a team make it less visible than it already is?

Also my concern.

I rely on Discord for all team communication, as chatting is better than the delayed nature of forums, which on the other hand are useful for announcing major updates and reporting bugs/issues.

I dislike giant monolithic threads. They're hard to browse and tend to lose information, as they burden the thread owner to keep track of questions, which may be forgotten. If this forum didn't exist, I'd rather have individual threads with tags to classify by port, such as [Eternity], [Doomsday] etc.

I prefer having bugs and feature requests on GitHub, but this forum is also an excellent place to post them. If they were added on a huge thread, they might be ignored as random questions.

Actual releases are on GitHub too, but @Quasar may also post them on eternity.mancubus.net, where he has access. As said above, they're announced here on Doomworld.

Edited by printz

On 5/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, Altazimuth said:

If there was a menu item on the home page for "Teams", that'd help. Otherwise, you have to know that "/Teams" exists (which may be the point??). Honestly, I'd like to see a Ports top level, with all the current sticky port threads (Chocolate, Retro, Crispy, PrBoom+, and also Eternity) moved into it. That would unclutter those other sections, and be a one-stop shop, with good visibility, for participating ports. Don't know how difficult that is, though. Just a thought.

14 hours ago, Gez said:

Not really. The Source Ports forum has lots of threads not specific to a single source port, but it also has stickies. It's a question of organization. A new top-level, with a new secondary level for each port would allow each port to have multiple topics. My goals would be:

• Visibility
  • Multiple topics per port
  • A general place for source-portish things not necessarily related to a single port

The way it is now, there's the sticky threads that grow to many many pages, and eat up half the screen real estate. And, Eternity is this different thing, and so is Teams, which is more or less hidden. Anything that makes things more consistent, and prevents sticky threads from piling up is a good thing, IMHO.

Personally I would be OK with if the Eternity subforum was to Source Ports what Editing Tutorials is to Doom Editing. I dunno how it'd affect how much traffic the subforum receives though.

2 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Personally I would be OK with if the Eternity subforum was to Source Ports what Editing Tutorials is to Doom Editing. I dunno how it'd affect how much traffic the subforum receives though.

I believe the traffic would increase (or not decrease at least), because the subforum would become a part of the "Classic Doom" group of subforums and would therefore be far far more visible. The "Special Interest" category that Eternity is in currently hosts only the really niche stuff IMO

15 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Yes, I was thinking exactly something like that. This would allow for general source port threads, as well as multiple port-specific threads, in a tidy presentation, with home-page visibility, without taking up much vertical screen real-estate.

The only downside is that you don't get to see the latest thread title on the home page - you'd have to click Source Ports first.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, roboticmehdi2 said:

Why Eternity is a separate section on doomworld forum? (under "special interest")

Eternity is a special interest because Quasar is a lobbyist.

Simple, really.

10 hours ago, Giomancer said:

Eternity is a special interest because Quasar is a lobbyist.

Simple, really.

Wut? :P

I still think putting it under Source Ports is best, and potentially giving other source ports without forums their own subforum if they request it. So not GZDoom, Zandronum, Doomsday, EDGE, Odamex, or ZDaemon, something more like Doom Retro since it's been growing in features for a while now and could use more than a single sticky topic. (Anyone watching the GitHub updates would know the leaps and bounds towards Heretic support it's gone through lately)

You mean like subforums under Source Ports, one for Eternity and another for Doom Retro?

On 7/13/2018 at 4:46 AM, printz said:

You mean like subforums under Source Ports, one for Eternity and another for Doom Retro?

Yeah, exactly. I also think the subforum should be renamed from just 'Eternity' to 'Eternity Engine' to give people who have no idea what it is a slight indication.