Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Trooper

Accessing the secret level in Inferno

I got as far as Mt. Erebus in Doom, but had trouble knocking myself out with a rocket into that rectangle that I think holds the exit switch to the secret level? Every time I do I miss it? I know I'm directly across from it when I do. What am I doing wrong???

You can try straferunning towards it. I know it worked for me every time I played the map.

This shows three methods of reaching it. 

I'd be interested to know more what you mean by "keep missing it". Do you mean you don't reach it, or you go off at the side?

Edited by Bauul

Alternatively you can press the exit switch through the wall, which iirc was the first way I found the secret level.

Watching bauul's video I'll also note that the automap helps a lot with lining up yourself to the switch.

TBH, at least some visual info should be provided in order to actually solve the problem, but there's a video now , so it should be easy enough to learn.

You can straferun into the room, or jump into the water, press against the sidewalls of the secret container and spam the use key until you activate the switch.

You want to be facing south exactly. If you shoot even at a small angle, you're likely to miss.

I remember feeling proud when I did this rocket jump for the first time.

Also maybe I'm imagining things but I think rocket blast is two times weaker when playing on the lowest difficulty? Perhaps that's what is giving you trouble?

Lol didn't think about that third way, I love sideways switch abuse (don't remember the technical term). Otherwise strafe running is easily the hardest, since it's at such an awkward angle. The rocket is definitely clever, and advanced for the time to pull off.

I prefer doing the strafe running method, because I feel great when I do it right (usually I save before the jump). First time I did it, it took a lot of tries. The next one, it was kinda easier to achieve. Other than that, I would never do the rocket jump, because I hate losing health from my rockets accidentally or intentionally. The hacker-y method with the switch I haven't tried yet, but it seems effective, so why not?

Just now, ShoDemo said:

I would never do the rocket jump, because I hate losing health from my rockets accidentally or intentionally.

I usually save one of the invulnerability spheres for that.

38 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I usually save one of the invulnerability spheres for that.

That, I didn't think of doing. But I can't keep an invulnerability for the end of a level.  :)

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

automap

Probably I worded that poorly. I mean the OP should at least get some screenies in to actually know what's going on. Otherwise, it feels like "my computer is broken, how can I fix it?" without telling you what actually happened.

I usually just do the rocket jump. Obviously it's the safest with the invuln, but I don't mind taking the damage. Plenty of health on the secret map.

Reminds me of the first time of me putting on IDDQD for the rocket jump while playing on UV. It works! (even without IDDQD if you have a large amount of health)

putting on IDDQD

During those times, I was being selfish with powerups, and I won't save them up for later use, I would've used up all the invuls in the map before finding the secret exit.

50 minutes ago, TFK said:

During those times, I was being selfish with powerups, and I won't save them up for later use, I would've used up all the invuls in the map before finding the secret exit.

Is that the definition of selfishness though? You were screwing yourself over at the end of the day :P