Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is this an alarmist thread title? (yes)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180525/10072939912/forget-gdpr-eus-new-copyright-proposal-will-be-complete-utter-disaster-internet.shtml

"merely linking to a news site may require paying money (link tax)"

"Any kind of forum site would be at serious risk. Reddit, Pinterest, Twitch, Imgur, Wordpress, Medium, Vimeo. This would create massive liability for all of those sites, making it nearly impossible for many of them to function in the EU."

Wow, and people thought the US losing net neutrality was a big deal. Well never mind them, the EU wants to literally just kill the entire free internet. Unless you are a big corporation you're just fucked. Why isn't this being talked about more?

EDIT: Oh, and it appears they also want to create a universal "content filter" for ALL CONTENT UPLOADED ON THE INTERNET.

EDIT: Already there are protest sites up: https://saveyourinternet.eu/

I am seriously worried about what this could mean for Doomworld. This could legit kill the site.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

I don't know much, but reading over that article makes me wonder how they intend to get away with passing a law that breaks other laws.

Also, I'm perplexed as to how they would enforce it, given that the internet is available literally everywhere on Earth and they can't enforce their laws in other nations.

On top of that, what's to stop companies from servicing EU nations if this happens? This could have farther reaching consequences than it looks on the surface.

Assuming, of course, that this is all true, which, given the state of the world, would be unsurprising.

I don't think you understand how serious this is. If this becomes real, it would actually become illegal to publish Doom mods in the EU unless you get written permission from Id software/Bethesda first, and not just once but for every single wad/mod. Not only that, but others would then have to pay a tax before they could download your mod. It appears that the EU is trying to get rid of all small content creators so that only the big companies can have influence. They basically want to turn back the clock back to the pre-internet era where only large corporations dominated content creation. This is crony capitalism at it's finest.

So, these old, crazy and lost touch with reality eu politicians are at it again. My blood boils so much, knowing that most europeans are weak and refuse to fight against this nonsense. Not just creating sites, but go in the streets and such. 

i'm not an expert, but isn't the doom source re-released under the GNU GPL?

20 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think you understand how serious this is. If this becomes real, it would actually become illegal to publish Doom mods in the EU unless you get written permission from Id software/Bethesda first, and not just once but for every single wad/mod.

I expect a citation for this claim.

Can't America just like bomb and take over Europe to prevent this sort of world wide dictatorship?

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I expect a citation for this claim.

https://saveyourinternet.eu/about-this-campaign/

"Article 13 is a provision in the proposed EU Copyright Directive mandating that all content uploaded to the internet be monitored and potentially deleted if a likeness to existing copyrighted content is detected. This provision will be voted on by the end of 2018."

"If you are a creator or independent business, the content that you upload to share with your audience might be deleted without your consent. Creators include but are not limited to artists –such as cartoonists, gamers, illustrators, photographers, documentary filmmakers, animators, musicians, DJs, and dancers,– bloggers, journalists, and technologists."

"Online platforms will be required to implement complex and expensive filtering systems and will be held liable for copyright infringement, potentially incurring fines that threaten their economic viability."

In other words if this happens it would literally destroy video game modding.

1 minute ago, geo said:

Can't America just like bomb and take over Europe to prevent this sort of world wide dictatorship?

I'm sure the pentagon is on it. Rest assured.

9 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

In other words if this happens it would literally destroy video game modding.

Nothing about what you just quoted as anything to do with game modding. That's EULA territory, not copyright. Unless your mod is using copyrighted material of someone else's content, you are the copyright holder of your mod. Your mods could already be taken down despite of these changes anyway for violating said EULA, such as selling your mod without licenser approval.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Nothing about what you just quoted as anything to do with game modding. That's EULA territory, not copyright. Unless your mod is using copyrighted material of someone else's content, you are the copyright holder of your mod.

That isn't how things will work if this law becomes reality. They want to make it so that written permission will be needed for ALL content that you post or link to. Not only that, but even if you DO have ownership of what you made others still won't be able to share it with others unless you give all of them written permission to do so. It isn't difficult to see what the EU is trying to do. They want to ruin alternative media so that traditional media can retake control over the flow of information. Perhaps you people should actually take a bit if time reading about what these terrible laws would do before concluding that what I am saying is scaremongering.

No one said you were scaremongering, but if this law is that horrible then why would it get passed? If it's the end of all content creators then guess what? A lot of companies stand to lose a lot of money, and no one is okay with losing money.

4 minutes ago, R4L said:

No one said you were scaremongering, but if this law is that horrible then why would it get passed? If it's the end of all content creators then guess what? A lot of companies stand to lose a lot of money, and no one is okay with losing money.

1. The EU is infamous for being undemocratic and not giving a shit what others think.

2. While countless small companies stand to lose a lot of money the big powerful ones stand to gain a lot since they would basically get a monopoly over the internet since only they would be able to afford posting/sharing content.

3. The legacy media would love this since this would mean only they could control the news. Small alternative media such as youtube and blogs would be destroyed by this.

3 minutes ago, Pegg said:

article with click bait title and sensational writing? No thanks.

i do agree that there is a lot of click bait but sometimes - things are as serious as they seem.

therefore, i plead ignorance and will not remain on any sides. but with net neutrality and now this - we have every reason to be on alert.

5 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Doomworld isn't in the EU.

As far as I know its an entire planet.

5 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Doomworld isn't in the EU.

Well be as that may be, if this happens in the EU don't you think your corporate overlords won't want to emulate this?

1 minute ago, Pegg said:

article with click bait title and sensational writing? No thanks.

This is not clickbait. The elites are getting scared at the people and want to take away our freedom to share information with each other on the internet.

It isn't as crazy as taking away net neutrality, don't get me wrong it isn't a good directive but equating it with controlling the internet completely (And no idea what is gdpr doing in this, doesn't it just force companies to share cutsomer info with the customer?) is pretty much clickbait imo.

5 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

This is not clickbait. The elites are getting scared at the people and want to take away our freedom to share information with each other on the internet.

The... elites? I've never heard of these elites or any of this supposed "death of modding" from anybody in my circles. Considering the type of games I deal with and who own them, I'd have heard something by now if any of what you were saying was remotely true.

Hence why we think all you're doing is "scaremongering", because you are the first person to bring this up, and a lot of us have better industry contacts.

To be honest for this...particular issue, I have the benefit of the doubt. Better be reserved into this and let the time talks.

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

To be honest for this...particular issue, I have the benefit of the doubt. Better be reserved into this and let the time talks.

sometimes, i think it's best to fight but at the same time don't freak out or panic too much. too much stress is not good for ones mental health. believe me, i know all too well.

2 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

sometimes, i think it's best to fight but at the same time don't freak out or panic too much. too much stress is not good for ones mental health. believe me, i know all too well.

I'm not scared or afraid or freaking at all. In fact, at this moment, I have zero fucks about it. I only cares what happens in the present and tomorrow. And now, I have better things to do. Still I appreciate the concern :D

And sorry for the derail too hahahahaha

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I'm not scared or afraid or freaking at all. In fact, at this moment, I have zero fucks about it. I only cares what happens in the present and tomorrow. And now, I have better things to do. Still I appreciate the concern :D

And sorry for the derail too hahahahaha

this is the least of my concerns. but seeing this thread kind of does trigger the shit i do have to be concerned about. and there is plenty.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I only cares what happens in the present and tomorrow. And now, I have better things to do.

Well then don't cry too hard if you wake up one day and discover you don't have any liberties anymore.

Um.....does it counts that here in Chile (and it's the first country in the world to do that btw) we have net neutrality approved by law 8 years ago?

And I have no problem not been in the net, like before I discovered that when I was a kid. Better reformulate your opinions instead of leaping into the void.

17 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Well then don't cry too hard if you wake up one day and discover you don't have any liberties anymore.

mate i think you're taking this way too seriously