Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Rush

Man, what an embarrassing performance! Especially considering that I had played this before. :-\

2-2-12, final death was to my own rockets. -_-

EDIT: This is a category 2 run... I played this a few months back.

42ph_rush.zip

Edited by 42PercentHealth

The end of this video's URL says it all. Category 1. 2-2-2 because by the time I got to HNTR I kinda stopped giving a shit :P

Reality'd MAP01.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, dt_ said:

Am I late to the party: yes

Is this demo worth watching: No

Will I snatch my first win: see above

UV map02

HMP map06

Haven't had time to do this any earlier this month, and won't have time to submit an HNTR run

(category 1)

S A M E, word-in-word (except I won't do HMP). Dafuq.

Live fast, die young, meet an Archi (lol, was that @Archi himself?), burn fast (again and again; do I really love to incinerate Doomguy? Seems like YES PLEASE), become 11PercentHealth (and eat Berserk earlier for no reason), die young. 73 of 206 hellboys didn't see my "triumph".

But that was cool. I mean Rush is cool. Rather wanna UV-Max the entire. Not first-try-blind-single-segment, meh.

I kinda may do two DWIronmans in a row if will have enough passion tomorrow, will see.

Usual 4K render later.

dwirush.zip

Edited by Vince Vega

Category 2, MAP02, got over confident facing off against a few Arachnotrons. I should be used to fighting spiders by now.

I had a second attempt on HMP and got cornered at the beginning of MAP03, but the demo didn't record for some reason.

UrthRushUV.zip

11 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Honolulu is my favorite city on Earth.

That scoreboard won't update itself! ;)

2 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Honolulu is my favorite city on Earth.

still 30th here :)

and I'll post my stuff soon

First "official" attempt: (no demo)

died UV Map 02 - I streamed this earlier in the month and died to the super manc room while trying to go fast.

2nd attempt for fun on UV (count this as HMP):

Map 12  ( got there in 30 mins with safe strats) went well until blue key area then bad things happened.. didnt go for the line skip cause you can soft lock then took the "final fight" before the blue key slow which really back fired since all it did was make me take more damage then if i just rushed it probably.

3rd attempt on HNTR:

Survived map 12 without getting the bfg, was easier then expected but its also hntr :p

oh yeah this was Cat 3 run

Dubz-IM-June.zip

Edited by Bdubzzz

I think you highlighted your 'official' attempt (I remember watching it) but I'm not sure anymore. 

4 minutes ago, NaZa said:

I think you highlighted your 'official' attempt (I remember watching it) but I'm not sure anymore. 

Oh I think I did for the Iron Camel but not Rush, The vod was still there though so I just highlighted it and edited my post :p

Alright. My run of Rush is done. 

UV: Dead in map 08 by stupid decisions

HMP: Rekt in map 10 by crowd of hellspawn

HNTR: Flame boi burned me in map 11

This is category 3. Map 11 was blind though. The rest was prepared. I used GLBoom+

rushld85.zip

Category 1 - died on map02/map03/map03. There was a long gap between the HMP and HNTR attempts and I expected there to be WAY fewer revenants on map03 on HNTR, but no such luck. I basically asked to die with that level of slop.

rush_naked.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/38cje76x8takemc/SteveDGetsRushed.zip/file

Cat 3 run, as usual. My results were 02-03. Alas, I was so jammed for time I wasn't able to go for HNTR. My point of pride is that I survived the opening fight on Map03. Yeah, watch Grandpa go! And then watch him leap into a pit of Revvies. Why did he do something that stupid? Probably because he never got that far on his practice run, where the first batch of Archies got him every time. That battle was much easier on HMP.

My main hope was to beat all the BritBowlers, since I knew I'd never get past HexaDoken for the Keyboard Kup. Congratulations, Hex! As you can see, I failed in my quest to topple the esteemed Brits. My Map02 death was rather embarrassing, as Herr Cyb greeted me with a rocket as I tried to squeeze through that little door. So I almost made it, but close only counts in horseshoes and all-out thermonuclear war, as they say.

My favorite fight was the opener on Map03. On my UV practice run, I died on 10 out of 12 tries, but the times I won were sweet indeed. That was some intense Ring-Around-The Rosie. ;)

Overall, I very much enjoyed what I played, except for the Blue Door Camp-A-Thon in Map02. It was too dangerous for a player of my meager skill to Rambo, and it took 13 eons to whittle down the meat before I was ready to go in. The preceding Manc/Revvie room fight was my next least-favorite because the ground clutter was way too much, and I wasn't going to go in and toss rockets until all those Imps and Spectres were dead, so this fight was basically a speed-bump.

All that said, much fun was had, and much flop-sweat was shed. I knew I was going to die, and indeed, could get roasted at any moment, so that kept me fired up.

Edited by Steve D

Getting lost in the Hawaiian post is this extraordinary extra ordinary 2-4-12 performance by me, your dutiful master of ceremonies. There is really no need to click on this link and watch this performance; I can assure you it's bad. Once the heat is off thanks to some customarily stupid mistakes, I cruise to a foregone conclusion at the foothills of HNTR "victory," dying to a shit-ton of revenants and arch-viles.

Updating the OP at the thirteenth hour once again and there are a few little titbits to tidy up. @Fiendzy, I love the fresh look for your run but I'm going to have to play the harsh taskmaster and rule it out with the rocket box bug and all. I know it's a bit unfair considering it doesn't affect things much, here, but in the interest of holding fast to principles and not sliding down a slippery slope in future... make sure you've accounted for all potential balance quirks before you've fired up the run, next time! If you could write any notes in the post instead of in the video, that would be a big help, too. It saves me needing to watch most or the entirety of your run. Apologies, and I hope to see you next month :)

@Pegleg Was your first run a "prepared" one (cat 3) or an earnest attempt for the month? You'll win plenty of honor with this crowd in fessing up if it's the latter, though I'll have to omit it from the board. Sorry again for being so strict, here. I think it's necessary to keep the gig in check.

@WH-Wilou84 I'm having some issues playing back your UV run in pr/glboom+. I could be missing something basic (it wouldn't surprise me). Can you confirm it works on your end? It seems to desync when you come into contact with the... erm, Super Mancubus? Flabulous? O'besetubus?

EDIT: OP finalized, or near enough. Amazingly, a whopping 20 out of 34 people died on map02 UV, most of them to some combination of revenants and (super) mancs. I suspect Archi will be baffled.

Edited by Alfonzo : Trivia

Overall, it was a nice experience for a change in this wad. Now bring me the next one!!! ;)

July's challenge is coming in about 18 hours or so. This is probably going to happen more often than not from here out as about half of all participants don't submit their runs until the 11th hour, leaving me with a fair bit to sift through. That's no problem; it's to be expected.

Announce the challenge now, then finish updating the scoreboard for the previous month real fast while people do their first runs for the new one?

I kinda wanted to get the ironman out of the way today...

4 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

I'm having some issues playing back your UV run in pr/glboom+. I could be missing something basic (it wouldn't surprise me). Can you confirm it works on your end? It seems to desync when you come into contact with the... erm, Super Mancubus? Flabulous? O'besetubus?

Try adding "-apply_mbf_codepointers_to_any_complevel" to the PrBoom+ command line. The desync in latest PrBoom+ arises from the combination of an old version being used to record and the monster (called the hectebus in the dehacked patch) using A_RandomJump in its attack. This should do nothing when the engine is pretending to be Boom as it didn't exist until MBF, but prior to 2.5.1.2 it lacked the necessary checks.

Argh, sorry about the desync Alfonzo.
RjY, I admire you for your knowledge, didn't even know about that option :)

It just means Rush isn't truly Boom-compatible, but rather MBF-compatible (-complevel 11).
See, that's precisely why I haven't upgraded to the latest PrBoom-plus - I mean no disrespect to entryway and all, this port is particularly convenient for viewing demos, but playtesting only with PrBoom-plus may lull mappers into believing their wads are Boom-compatible while they maybe aren't.

As regards to me potentially winning, haha, well that's nice. Even if it seems I won because of my comrades' lack of will to retry on lower skills, I'll take it ! :)
Good luck to all for next month, the Darkening duo is mostly easy-ish from what I remember but we'll see...

14 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

@Pegleg Was your first run a "prepared" one (cat 3) or an earnest attempt for the month? You'll win plenty of honor with this crowd in fessing up if it's the latter, though I'll have to omit it from the board. Sorry again for being so strict, here. I think it's necessary to keep the gig in check.

I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I went back and read my post. As far as I can tell, you have an issue with me calling the UV run "blind" but it being my second recording. If the problem is something else, let me know. For now, I'll assume that the problem is what I described and explain myself.

This is what I posted:

UV: Dead on Map01, 28/107 (a sneaky imp coming out of a door on the other side of a hall took me down mere feet from a medkit--of course, I didn't yet know it was there, but that's beside the point)

HMP: Dead on Map01, 25/107 (another imp, this one decided to moon me as I lay dying, at least the other imp had the decency to look at me)

HNTR: Dead on Map01, 43/93 (taken down by a cacodemon--I can take some comfort in knowing that at least I hurt it first)

I then went on to say that I played through once, but succeeded in getting myself cornered in the opening room. I saw the part of the hallway right outside the door with all the boxes in it. I never saw any other part of the level. I never played through Rush before firing it up that night, either. I never looked at the levels in an editor. I knew nothing about Rush except that it was considered "entry-level slaughter."

My intention was to do a blind run, but being thoroughly unsatisfied with being cornered by demons because I was inspecting the switch on the wall, I recorded my second demo. I called it blind because I still didn't know anything about the level outside of the first room. I definitely didn't prepare, which, to me, meant it was Category 3. In the strict sense of the word, I can appreciate that it cannot be a Category 1 run, because I knew something about the level. I suppose you could call it Category 2.

The bottom line is that my submission (1-1-1) was my earnest attempt for the month. Whether it seems like it or not, I was actually trying during my run. If you have to omit it from the board, do so. If that's the case, sorry @Walter confetti, I wasn't able to keep you out of last place. If you want to reclassify it to whatever the appropriate Category is, do that and I'll happily take my place at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Whichever you do, just let me know what it is, and how to avoid it for next month, because, yes, I will be back.

The wording in my post was quite poor and I now realize that since this is in 1CC format your run wouldn't even be discounted, anyway. I'd just ignore the second UV attempt and skip straight to HMP. You'd still end up with 1-1-1. Whoops! My mistake.

But yes, just in case there's any confusion: there's only one circumstance in which starting a new game of the set selected for Ironman and not having it count as an official run is acceptable. That's if it's done knowingly as a prelude to a category 3 run, which is "prepared" i.e. you have practiced the set for the personally announced official run at some point later in the month. Unofficially I don't care much if you're just messing around with settings in the opening room or whathaveyou (also knowingly) and immediately restart the game afterwards, but I'd definitely rather no one do this.

Anyway, sorry about the mix-up. I was tired and dumb.

Edited by Alfonzo