Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

Forest Swords (a limit removing project from Doomer Boards)

is this named for the artist Forest Swords? i like his music. anyway will probably be checking this out

Cool.
I dig the Koultex texture set used here, I'll make sure to check it out soon. :)
Nice natural landscapes, too.

Monuments of Mars was great, but it was over way too soon for my tastes. I hope this one has some more meat on its bones.

Btw, do any one of you want me to create a demo thread? Seeing that there are already three of these DBPs now.

Those screenshots remind me of Whispers of Satan's MAP16-20, probably one of my favourite visual styles that I've seen in Doom - will have to play this set.

Really dig the texture scheme and forest aesthetic here. Doom could use some more natural forest themed wads like this.

I like those landscapes. The sky is perfectly fit the colors. Personally, I use curve mode to make huge rocky/stone outside areas.

These guys are indeed quite productive, and more importantly - they consistently deliver, all these recent projects, albeit short, offer some quality doomin', skillful and varied enough to keep things entertaining throughout. 40oz must've found his purpose after all.

Speaking of 40oz himself though - I find it kind of troubling that ever since Absolute Dishonor he pretty much abandoned elaborate and well-developed maps in favor of functional "vignettes" that mostly seem to be speedmapped, so him spearheading and contributing to Mutiny seem to be his last "big" splash. When it comes to his recent maps, it's evident that he knows all the tenets of good map design and is well aware of how things should be arranged for the map to be fun and well thought-out, but for some reason neglects expanding on these notions, leaving us small chunks that barely pass thanks to the reasons described above, and it's really sad. Will we ever see anything more grand from him? That is the question.

Finally finished this. Good stuff.

My ranking from favorite to least favorite is below. Space is relevant.

MAP02: Canyon Crawl by 40oz

MAP05: The Valley by TheMisterCat

MAP07: It Doesn't Have A Name by anonimvio

MAP06: Crisis Center by 40oz

MAP03: Guerilla Skeletons by 40oz

MAP04: Forest Fort by 40oz

MAP01: Rocky Start by glenzinho

MAP08: The Chapel by valkiriforce

11 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

MAP08: The Chapel by valkiriforce

Definitely one of the lesser maps I've made in a while imo; it just didn't feel salvageable as it was and the spaciousness of the map reduced the threats significantly.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

the spaciousness of the map reduced the threats significantly.

Yeah, pretty much. But I did kinda like the sense of progression. It had a Mt. Pain feel to it, which (call me crazy) I actually like.