Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Your thoughts on Detroit: Become Human.

This game could be one step above Telltale in terms of the story, gameplay and stuff. 

I don't have a PS4, so I do not have any first-hand experience of the game. But after seeing gameplay of it, it just, seems to me that QuanticDream might get the chance to outrule Telltale's story-driven gameplay.

I don't have a PS4, so I'm currently watching Christopher Odd's playthrough. He's great.

So far I'm enjoying it. I'm quite a few hours in and I think they've more or less nailed the single most important thing with a story like this; The androids.

It's a story about "becoming human" and the line between machines and men. When does one become the other? With subject matter like this there is a sweet spot you generally want to be in. You want to identify the androids as not being humans, but you want to sympathize with them because they're not all that different. This is essential if you want the themes of the story to come to fruition.

It's a hard line to walk, but so far Detroid does this. Contrary to something like West World where there really is no discernable difference between robots and humans except when they malfunction or all of a sudden when the script demands a completely unearned and poorly written twist. Detroid stays far away from this (so far) and just delivers some competently written scenarios where these characters can unfold and juxtapose purpose vs. desire.

Sure, the game has its problems and it can't, for instance, quite figure out whether these bots feel pain or not. I don't see this as state of the art storytelling for the medium, but so far I think it's well above and beyond the current "standard"....whatever that may be ;)

I played the demo, it's something that I have to be in the right mood to play, but it certainly wetted my appetite. I don't have a lot to say about the game per se, but I quite liked Beyond Two Souls, despite how devisive it was. This is definitely something that I'll check out sometime.

I simply cannot take it seriously at all, heh. It's simply far too politicalized for my tastes, and I get a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the fact that it was being billed as not a political game in publicity info. I don't have a PS4 so I was watching Jerma985's streams. I'd figure, he's the kinda guy to not give a shit about the politics involved and he's usually calm, which I enjoy. Even then I just found myself unable to take it seriously at all.

David Cage is a hack writer who props up half-baked ideas with the talents of workers that his studio treats like garbage. Hard pass.

If you're looking for a well-written narrative game exploring what it means to be AI and what it means to be human, I would be remiss not to mention the recently-released Subserial Network, with a self-promo disclaimer that I worked on it.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, TFK said:

This game could be one step above Telltale in terms of the story, gameplay and stuff.

Telltale are that bad??

I like story games but I dunno... David Cage games always seemed really pretentious and meh

Also SHHHHHHHAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUN

People tend to shit on Storybased interactive movie type of games, but the story in Detroit: Become Human is actually pretty compelling and well worth it's price IMO, now this is from someone who watched an LP but even then I would have no problem recommending it to people who like a good story. It was like a Good TV/Netfilx series and It kept me engaged without actually having a controller in myInsert other media hand.

Guest Unregistered account

I enjoyed watching Jerma's stream and the art is utterly incredible, close to photorealism but from the sounds of it something's up with David Cage? If it's true that the other developers and artists are mistreated to that's gonna make me sad because there's some real talent put into this.