Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Starkiller

Your thoughts on the Unreal franchise

If there is ever a game franchise that is close to my heart and right up there with Doom, it would have to be the Unreal/Unreal Tournament franchise. Obviously known for having one of the most widely-used game engines of the same name, there is so much about the games that have an amazing amount of uniqueness which makes them stand out compared to it's sister series Quake, and other games as well. From single-player to an Arena tournament universe, along with great gunplay and badass soundtracks, it's no wonder why the world of Unreal sucks me in and has that immersive charm. Since it had it's 20th anniversary a week before, I figured I would make this thread. 

What are your thoughts on the Unreal series? Do you think a couple of the games hold up well? Your favorite and least favorite of the series? Any hope for future installments? Anything on your mind is here. 

The first Unreal game I ever played was Unreal Tournament 3. It sucks. It turned me off of playing any other games in the series for awhile.

When I played Unreal Tournament 99 however, I fell in love with it and it instantly killed Quake 3 for me. I used to love Quake 3 up until that point, but ever since I played Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 has felt kind of boring ever since. It's the arena first-person shooter that all arena first-person shooters should be measured to and easily one of the best multiplayer games of all time.

I played a little bit of the recent Unreal Tournament and thought it was just okay. Doesn't look like it will ever get finished. 

Unreal is beautiful looking, well designed, well balanced, and doesn't have any major issues that I can think of. It's just an overall amazing game. 

I'm playing the original Unreal these days. I must say, graphically is still pretty to look at, thanks to the awesome light design they used for every level, and enemy I.A. it's of a kind I never saw in later shooters ver since (not counting the bots from arena multyplayr). It's a game that deserves to be taken more for inspiration as much as Doom, Quake or HL together.

3 hours ago, Clonehunter said:

It was okay. The 2004 Tournament with the Third Person melee combat was kind of weird, though. 

That's probably Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict, or as I like to call it, Unreal Kombat, since it was published by Midway. Haven't played it, but I want to so bad. Need to dig around for a classic Xbox. 

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

The first Unreal game I ever played was Unreal Tournament 3. It sucks. It turned me off of playing any other games in the series for awhile.

When I played Unreal Tournament 99 however, I fell in love with it and it instantly killed Quake 3 for me. I used to love Quake 3 up until that point, but ever since I played Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 has felt kind of boring ever since. It's the arena first-person shooter that all arena first-person shooters should be measured to and easily one of the best multiplayer games of all time.

I played a little bit of the recent Unreal Tournament and thought it was just okay. Doesn't look like it will ever get finished. 

Unreal is beautiful looking, well designed, well balanced, and doesn't have any major issues that I can think of. It's just an overall amazing game. 

Unreal Tournament 3 definitely sucks. My least favorite of the entire series. Honestly, it's the shitty Gear's of War brownish artstyle that turns me off compared to the others, which were colorful and a beauty to look at. 

Unreal Tournament '99 is awesome, always will be a fun classic. Facing World's is the best map ever. 

Haven't played the recent Unreal Tournament, not too hyped on it yet.

Unreal is indeed beautiful, well-balanced, and nicely designed. One of the best FPS games ever made, and the first Unreal game I've played as a youngin, so I have some soft nostalgia for it. 

Have you played Unreal Tournament 2004? I'm curious about your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, MattGuy1990 said:

I'm playing the original Unreal these days. I must say, graphically is still pretty to look at, thanks to the awesome light design they used for every level, and enemy I.A. it's of a kind I never saw in later shooters ver since (not counting the bots from arena multyplayr). It's a game that deserves to be taken more for inspiration as much as Doom, Quake or HL together.

Unreal is something special. It has that unique vibe that sets it apart from the rest. Something about surviving on a planet entirely by the player themselves feels fascinating. It definitely should be an inspiration alongside Doom, Quake, and Half-Life for a retro game designer.

I haven't played 2003/2004 and don't really have any interest to play it. I will say that the intro is hilarious.

That intro always cracks me up. It just has that WWE mood that feels ridiculous and cheesy and the same time. 

If only most sports shows were like that type of feeling. 

First Unreal has a lovely atmosphere & soundtrack. It really puts you into a lone mood exploring the alien planet, seeing the inhabitants being enslaved by another alien race & it really makes you play more. The level design is kind of confusing for me but I can handle it.

Weapons look & behave quite unique, nothing as seen before at the time.

Unreal Tournament 1999 is of the best games I've played with great action & atmosphere. Love the multiple gameplay modes & the campaign is sick!

Haven't played the multiplayer besides 1v1 with a friend of mine.

I've never played through Unreal, but UT 99 on Dreamcast was the first time I witnessed online console gaming.

It was amazing at the time.  The maps were so much different from Q3A and the tone and all else.  It was a good game.  I'd stay at a freind's house during school and play the hell out of it.  You knew instantly when you were up against a person with the DC keyboard and mouse.  You just couldn't compete if you had a controller.  Same with Q3A for the Dreamcast if you connected to a pc server. 

I think Face and the sniper rifle are my fondest memories of UT 99.  Shit was amazing for the time.

I love the first Unreal and have some very fond memories with it.  One in particular was when I designed a level for a high school project (it was a psychology class and we needed to plan out a prison), which ended up being very well received by my teacher.

UT99 is still probably my favorite multiplayer FPS after all these years.  UT2k3 was alright, and I honestly liked it better than 2k4, but not quite as well as UT99.

Unreal 2 and UT3 were both literally forgettable for me.  I know I played them, but I remember nothing about them.  I think that says something about them...

I played the original Unreal for the first time in 2011, I believe. It wasn't actually my first experience with the Unreal franchise - I'd played some of the UT games prior - but to me, the original Unreal is the entry in the franchise that I had the best experience with. It's really grown on me. In fact, I dare call it one of my all-time favorite FPS games.

Unreal 2 was a minor disappointment. That's as much as I'm willing to say about it.

Out of the Tournament games, I've played the original, 2k3, 2k4 and 3. I'm surprisingly hard-pressed to name a favorite out of them - they're all fun on their own merits as far as I'm concerned.

I'm gonna say it right here; someone should really ask Epic games for permission, and kistarting an Unreal remake using the UE IV. God, please make that happen!

Unreal Tournament 1999 is of the best games I've played with great action & atmosphere. Love the multiple gameplay modes & the campaign is sick!

Haven't played the multiplayer besides 1v1 with a friend of mine.

Uhm, what campain? I don't recall one in UT orginal :/

3 hours ago, MattGuy1990 said:

Uhm, what campain? I don't recall one in UT orginal :/

There is a campaign in the style of progressing through the tournament ladder, and you can create your own avatar right at the start, but there is not much of an immersive story unless you enjoy reading text exposition on character and map descriptions.

Oh, that xD. Don't consider it much of a campaign thoough, more of a single player mode with progression in levels

Up next: Your Thoughts On "Your Thoughts On" Threads

When I think of Unreal, I think of the engine. Unreal games are kind of my gaming blind spot and I don't think I've ever played any of them.  Have I missed out on anything?

Well, only one of definers of multyplayer arena shooters a we know them today, as well as one of the most enjoyable gunplays from old school

UT99 was rather cool, I must admit I never played it online due to family/dial up/no else can use the phone etc etc but played the SP for ages and really enjoyed it, I never bothered with Q3, for the same reasons.

The original Unreal, well I bought it when it first came out (had no sound as it required a SB card or something), played it fair bit but never completed it till years later. It looked amazing and some of the weapons were very cool to use, however it just didn't tick the box that quake 2 did for me. 

Also at the time it was heavier on my PC than Q2, however if memory serves me correctly I had a P1 166MHZ with a voodoo 1 GFX card, so I was behind the times slightly anyway.

Recently I have played Unreal again and the castle tech demo still put a massive grin on my face like it did all those years ago.

1 hour ago, DoomUK said:

Up next: Your Thoughts On "Your Thoughts On" Threads

When I think of Unreal, I think of the engine. Unreal games are kind of my gaming blind spot and I don't think I've ever played any of them.  Have I missed out on anything?

Looking at a technical standpoint, Unreal has led to the rise of large, open-ended level design and great effects that weren't anything like it. Unreal Tournament '99 had defined the fun potential and replayability of Arena-based multiplayer.

On gameplay levels, Unreal has a long single-player campaign that has a plot that is pieced together through message logs. Gunplay feels lighter and more maneuverable than Quake's, but feel of the weapons can be a "take it or leave it" type. Unreal Tournament is similar, but with more improved weapons and multiplayer.

To put it, both Unreal and Unreal Tournament are the highest of the franchise, having set the foundation for other games to improve on, including the other Unreal titles.  I recommend the two of them for their large strides in the FPS genre.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Unreal is one of the coolest single-player FPS campaigns ever.  Great enemy and level design.  Stuff like Temple of Vandora and The Sunspire and The Darkening is so incredibly memorable.  I've also spent entirely too much time in UT99, 2K4, and UT4's alpha.  So much fun, and I've always liked the feel of those games more than Q3A/Q4/QC.

the original Unreal and UT99 are among my favorite games of all time. I have limited experience with later games, but UT2004 was fun, the little I did play it.

• Unreal 1 is pretty good, possibly guilty of atmosphere over substance, but hey.
  • UT99 is great. Good times.
  • Unreal 2 was dull and had nothing particular in common with the first game.
  • UT2003 seemed silly so I gave it a miss.

I hear other games exist, also.

Never played any of the games in the series. Since Unreal Gold was given away recently, this is bound to change rather soon. As for the multiplayer titles... I heard they are a blast, but the art style just doesn't draw me in. I know it's an incredibly silly complaint, but in that regard QIII won my affection by a landslide.

My favorite is the first Unreal due to its great single player, second to it would have to be UT '99 because it's in the same industrial sci-fi style as the original game. I think these games hold up extremely well, are very polished and still look great out of the box considering the time they came out. Least favorite is easily Unreal II, with what little time I spent playing it and everything I've seen pertaining to it looks bland and uninspired. I'm really hoping we'll see another single player oriented Unreal again, in the style of the first game, but with a greatly expanded upon world of Na Pali and even larger and more beautiful levels. Just imagining a modern Unreal 1 on UE4 is making me antsy. The Skaarj are among my favorite enemies in FPS, and I long to sweat it out against them again.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

My favorite is the first Unreal due to its great single player, second to it would have to be UT '99 because it's in the same industrial sci-fi style as the original game. I think these games hold up extremely well, are very polished and still look great out of the box considering the time they came out. Least favorite is easily Unreal II, with what little time I spent playing it and everything I've seen pertaining to it looks bland and uninspired. I'm really hoping we'll see another single player oriented Unreal again, in the style of the first game, but with a greatly expanded upon world of Na Pali and even larger and more beautiful levels. Just imagining a modern Unreal 1 on UE4 is making me antsy. The Skaarj are among my favorite enemies in FPS, and I long to sweat it out against them again.

I think Unreal is more in a science-fantasy style with sci-fi elements than straight up sci-fi. It's more comparable to Dune in that style, but with Na Pali in place of Arrakis, and corporations in place of feudal families. Unreal Tournament definitely has an industrial sci-fi feel. They definitely aged extremely well, considering they are 20 years old, with UT2004 at 14. 

I would die for an Unreal remake, with the same gameplay and art-style, but the graphics maxed out to jaw dropping levels. And the music needs that Alexander Brandon & Michel Van Den Bos charm. 

The Skaarj are also some of my favorite FPS enemies. The first time you fight one in the dark still makes me sweat!   

From a single player standpoint, it'd be the original Unreal by default for me. Unreal 2 just doesn't feel anything like the original game and honestly shouldn't have had the name attached to it. It doesn't help that it's a boring slog and just isn't very much fun to play.

For the Tournament series, I'm going to be the odd one out and say UT3 is my favorite. I've played all of them and all are excellent in my eyes, but I've spent the most solo time with UT3, mainly in deathmatch. For this mode its maps are well designed, its weapons are well balanced, its movement speed is to my liking, and the music and visuals hold up really well, 11 years later. I still rock the soundtrack from time to time.. Good stuff.

UT99 is obviously a seminal game in the franchise and for competitive multiplayer gaming in general, and I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but deathmatch and 1v1 has always been my preferred gameplay style and I felt Quake III was more refined in that department. Back in the day, Q3A was the game I went to for serious DM and 1v1 play, while UT was the game I played with friends at LAN parties.

Never payed much attention to the original Unreal games, although I really enjoy standard deathmatch in Unreal Tournament 3. Epic knows their craft and provides an appealing alternative to Doom. 

On 6/3/2018 at 3:08 PM, MattGuy1990 said:

I'm gonna say it right here; someone should really ask Epic games for permission, and kistarting an Unreal remake using the UE IV. God, please make that happen!

I'm not so sure I'd want an Unreal remake, but a game in the style of Unreal - especially in regards to its atmosphere - would certainly be nice to see.

UT99 was one of my formative experiences with games. I memorably bought the Game of the Year edition (packaged with an assortment of strange mods, I seem to remember) it for £10 from Toys R Us. I never played it online but I still probably know Turbine, Deck 16 II and Facing Worlds like the back of my hand. While I enjoyed UT2003 and 2004 and did play the latter online, they always seemed a bit like pale imitations to me.

Unreal itself was a huge blindspot in my otherwise fairly exhaustive knowledge of '90s FPS games - I only played a portion of it a few years ago, when I picked it up in a GOG sale. To be honest I found it a little boring, so I'll have to revisit it especially because of its notable anniversary.

As for Unreal II... I played that when it was fairly new. It had some interesting ideas, like the radically different environments on each planet, but it felt very rigid and slow. To me it's filed alongside the likes of Doom 3 as a shooter that was made to feel very antiquated indeed by the release of Half-Life 2, which was like the meteorite that did for the dinosaurs. It seemed like HL2 had taken a long time to develop, but I've always felt it had taken other developers just as long to catch up with HL1!

EDIT: Incidentally, I've just noticed that various Unreal games are heavily discounted in the current GOG sale. I'll pick up UT99 later.

Edited by Rook : Adding mention of GOG sale

The original Unreal is a generally underrated game in the history of the genre - it's not quite up there with Doom but it was an important release and a great engine. Klingon Honour Guard and other very good titles that might have slipped under the radar were built with that engine. IIRC, it had issues running on multiple core processors and so I haven't tried either KHG or Unreal in years but I would like to again at some point and will either find a way to do it or run them on some old hardware.

Unreal 2 was disappointing by comparison, very generic and I didn't like the slow and clumsy player movement or weapons / gameplay much at all. Half-Life 2 came along not much later and blew it - and a few other stale offerings from the early 00s, out of the water.

I'm kind of tempted by unreal 2, my computer couldn't run it back in the day so I missed out.

Talking of unreal engine games... Clive Barker's undying is really tempting me.