Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Blood is on sale @ GOG

Blood 2 has a 7.4/10 on GameSpot, 6.2/10 on IGN, 6/10 on Steam, and 72% on Metacritic. Hell, GOG gives it a 3.7/5.

And I can see here it is also two dollars, so while I haven't played it, I would suggest getting it. If it turns out to be bad, well, it only cost two dollars.

Amusingly, I'm so broke at the moment I can't even afford one of them, otherwise I'd so get the first.

4 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Blood 2 has a 7.4/10 on GameSpot, 6.2/10 on IGN, 6/10 on Steam, and 72% on Metacritic. Hell, GOG gives it a 3.7/5.

And I can see here it is also two dollars, so while I haven't played it, I would suggest getting it. If it turns out to be bad, well, it only cost two dollars.

Amusingly, I'm so broke at the moment I can't even afford one of them, otherwise I'd so get the first.

You're prolly right... I'm prolly overthinking this. :-P

Compared to the original, Blood 2 is pretty mediocre. But, for two bucks, you can totally have some fun with it.

Blood 2 is great for the dark humour, environment and music. Not good at balanced gameplay and has some pretty silly bugs. Play it on easy and enjoy some Caleb quotes.

What do you mean "Is it worth it?" ??!!...

Referring to the first one, obviously. Second one is garbage.

Edited by DooM_RO

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

EDIT: Blood 2 is also on sale... is it worth getting? Anyone who knows? 

While Blood is a masterpiece, Blood2 - The Chosen is not. What made Blood fun to play is just not there in its sequel.  That said, Blood2 does have its moments and set pieces to remember.

The main cons? The enemy roster has annoying elements, such as cussing humans and an abundance of annoying imp-like spitting monsters that for some reasons spin like a carousel for their melee attack. The armor system does not seem to protect you from harm at all, often evaporating from fulll to zero in a single big hit. And the weapon loadout is tricky: it's too easy to pick up the 'wrong' weapons which will make combat pretty tedious / impossible in the later levels. Some monsters can only be dispatched easily with a certain weapon. And some levels are re-used, in an attempt to revisit areas that would be much better served using things such as a hub system. The level design itself is not up to the same level as the original Blood, although it sometimes has its moments.  Music is top notch, though.

44 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

an abundance of annoying imp-like spitting monsters that for some reasons spin like a carousel for their melee attack.

This happens only on Homicide and higher, I think they were suppose to pin themselves to you as a ponce attack but it wasn't programmed correctly or the feature was cut.

Blood II is very flawed, but what with the resurgence in old school FPS like DUSK it looks pretty nice and it's fun if you play it on Genocide as it's a total straightforward and fast paced blast fest due to weakened enemies and nerfed attacks. Go no higher than Homicide if you want to actually be challenged, but it will expose further flaws of the ridiculous enemy reaction time, bullet spongy monsters and the insane damage received from the most mild looking attacks. Save your game often, and use bullet weapons (especially akimbo MAC-10) on humans and save your shotgun shells for creatures. It's not a particularly long game either, so you can probably complete it in a single day if you just gun for it. The expansion is terrible however and very short.

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

Blood 2 is great for the dark humour, environment and music. Not good at balanced gameplay and has some pretty silly bugs. Play it on easy and enjoy some Caleb quotes.

Pretty much this, but for the love of Satan do not launch it out of the box, use dgVoodoo to fix most problems, and a hires patch in order to switch to resolutions over 1000 pixels in height. A crash once in a while is 'normal' and unavoidable.

Blood 2 is like playing a shitty game's alpha, save your money and don't get it. Better use that time to replay blood 1 on extra crispy -the hardest difficulty- if you want to see it in all its glory. 

Blood is a great game, one of my all-time favorite classics. I play it on the Crossmatching version. Easily the best Build Engine FPS. 

On the other hand, Blood 2 is some of the worst garbage I've played. Even though I only played the demo, that told me all I needed to know about the game. The difficulties are the worst imbalanced I've ever played, the weapons are mediocre and with no feel of power behind them, glitches out the ass, enraging to fight enemies like the Shikari, and just feels like a crappier beta version. It is so buggy that a traffic cone exploded out blood when I knifed it. Just a pathetic waste. 

The only thing I liked in Blood 2 was Caleb's new lines and you can have a command to taunt, I thought that was a nice touch to his dark humorous self. 

Just echoing the general view that Blood 1 is probably better than Blood 2; can't really add any more to what has already been said as to why.

Nah I'd say blood 1 is 100% better than the shitty sequel, unless you like beta testing a game where the devs never update and fix anything you reported!

Blood doesn't really need to be praised any more than it already is, its fantastic. 

Blood 2.. I actually enjoyed, its crap but enjoyable crap on the lowest difficulty setting and for 2 dollars its probably worth a bash for a few hours.

14 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Blood 2 is also on sale... is it worth getting?

No.

Hey, thanks for the feedback y'all! I decided to go with the "how bad can it be for $2" crowd. So, I will be streaming both Blood games at some undetermined time in the future. :-)

I still can't get Blood 2 to work reliably on Windows 7. But then again, I couldn't get it to run reliably on XP or Vista either. I had some fun with it, but it's virtually unplayable on modern operating systems.

And yes, I looked at every damn fix for the crashing that I could find, and none of them worked. Some worked better than others, but by the third level change it was crashing.

Blood 1 however; buy it. It's my favorite Build game by far. The atmosphere, the weapons, the level design (well, by E3 they got kind of lazy), the enemies, Caleb's awesome cackle. It's a great game.

Back away vampires!

And if you can, try to find the two expansion packs for Blood (Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage). Both are quite good, though I myself prefer Cryptic Passage.

As much as it is worth it I really wouldn't want to give Atari my money after how they refuse to release the source code.

13 hours ago, Jello said:

And yes, I looked at every damn fix for the crashing that I could find, and none of them worked. Some worked better than others, but by the third level change it was crashing.

That's because the shitty game causes them and not the OS\System.

17 hours ago, Ichor said:

And if you can, try to find the two expansion packs for Blood (Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage). Both are quite good, though I myself prefer Cryptic Passage.

The version GOG sells is "One Unit Whole Blood" so I'm pretty sure those are both included?

5 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

The version GOG sells is "One Unit Whole Blood" so I'm pretty sure those are both included?

I bought that one many years ago. They are indeed included.

6 hours ago, Ichor said:

I bought that one many years ago. They are indeed included.

Does it also include wizard works unlock the secrets add-on, like the disc version of one whole unit?

23 minutes ago, Vermil said:

Does it also include wizard works unlock the secrets add-on, like the disc version of one whole unit?

That I don't know for certain. What I bought all those years ago was the disc version from a computer show, so I wouldn't know if the GOG one has it too. I would imagine it does.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Avoozl said:

As much as it is worth it I really wouldn't want to give Atari my money after how they refuse to release the source code.

I was under the impression it was lost, rather than withheld.