Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Music Recommendations: Ambient with Backbeat

Given the wide variety in the "What are you listening to?" thread, I have a question for this community: namely, I am looking for music I would describe as "ambient electronic music but with some rhythm and/or backbeat -- stuff that isn't in-your-face techno/trance but is more than random sounds or chords."  Ideally I'm looking for a group or album as opposed to individual songs, but I'll take what I can get.

Here are some representative examples:

Aes Dana - "Gatewick"

Carbon-Based Lifeforms - "MOS 6581"

Khetzal - "Glaciales Lacrimae"

Thanks in advance, folks.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Like this?

Not bad at all (it reminds me a bit of Sefiros) -- but not necessarily what I'm looking for, either...

Your first track reminds me of Global Communication

You probably already know of Solar Fields, but I'll list him anyway. He did the soundtrack for Mirror's Edge

This might be a really obvious recommendation but if you haven't listened to Aphex Twin, some of his albums might be what you're looking for, notably 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92' and 'Selected Ambient Works Volume 2'.

16 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Your first track reminds me of Global Communication

You probably already know of Solar Fields, but I'll list him anyway. He did the soundtrack for Mirror's Edge

I am familiar with both -- I own several SF albums -- but I'll have to check out GC a little closer.  Also, it's quite possible that you have the best profile name in the history of the world.

Unfortunately I don't think GC made a whole lot.

These ones might stray away a little bit, but both Tipper and Ulrich Schnauss feel like they're worth mentioning.

I think this has got to be one of the best examples of the stuff you're talking about.

EDIT: Ahh, wait. Someone already mentioned it. I really need to actually look at the damn thread before I post.

Edited by Grimosaur

1 hour ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Unfortunately I don't think GC made a whole lot.

These ones might stray away a little bit, but both Tipper and Ulrich Schnauss feel like they're worth mentioning.

Tipper is new for me (thanks!), and "Far Away Trains Passing By" sees pretty heavy rotation on my iPod.

Also, @Joshy / @Grimosaur -- thanks for the tip on Aphex Twin; I have at least one of his albums, but I'm very much enjoying the link above.

If you're into CBL, try Hol Baumann - [Human]

And if you're fine with something a bit slower, I like Asura - 360

Your first example reminds me of Banco de Gaia, tho you're surely old enough to remember him from the 90's. :)