Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

/newstuff late once again

I'm sure Liam's working on his latest literary masterpiece...or maybe he's just busy...worth waiting for though.:)

I quit.

For the record I didn't quit because I harbor a grudge against DW or Ling or the community in general (I don't), I didn't quit because I've lost interest in Doom (I haven't), and I didn't quit because of the backlash I often get for slamming a shit map because people want me to judge on a 'could be fun on a rainy day' basis (although it tempted me).

I quit because I can't guarantee t/nc on schedule or rather even close to on schedule anymore. Too much shit has been going down over here in this damp jizz-smelling corner of my shithole room to spend time every weekend playing every doom map that comes through /newstuff. For the record I didn't even want to just up and quit, especially after such a short term, but I know for sure I won't be able to guarantee reviews every weekend or even every week and I'd rather leave the position to someone who deals with deadlines a bit better than I do.

I'm aware I developed a fanbase of like 5 or so people with my snide review tactics and I'd like to say this will not be the end of my written contribution to the doom community. If Liam's fat sexy ass drives you just insane, email me a wad or two. You'll see =)

I apologize for the abrupt resignation and I apologize to everyone who's maps will not see (immediate) /newstuff reviews because of it.

Signing off, a stupid teenager who you all put up with for some stupid reason.

Ct_red_pants said:

I can't say I blame you. are you just quitting reviewing or doomworld as a whole?

Maybe if you weren't too lazy to read the second paragraph, you could find out yourself.

Ichor said:

Who will take over, if anyone?

...I wonder the same thing...

Use3D said:

D:

...My sentements exactly...

Ct_red_pants said:

I can't say I blame you. are you just quitting reviewing or doomworld as a whole?

Omg U can't be that lazy can you?

Ultraviolet said:

Dude. Nostalgia. Notice the last POTD to ever be displayed on DW...

http://www.doomworld.com/newstuff/

And ur point is...

It is certainly possible for DW to find a new /newstuff person, but I think there's a more economical way of doing this that DW news people may be interested in. Simply create a news item each week listing the news WADs available, and people freely post reviews or opinions on whatever they want.

You could argue that people can normally do this in the WADs and mods forum, but making it a regular news activity encourages debate and sparks up curiosity (we have seen how /newstuff threads are very popular, a disorganized thing wouldn't work out as well.) In addition, the forums are for spontaneous talk about WADs while the fact that there's new WADs up at idgames is certainly DOOM-related news.

This idea could save anyone from having to work through all the WADs every week (and bearing sole blame if his previews are disliked,) would remove the problem of having to depend on a single person to do all that work, and would keep the chronicles alive.

I propose this as: a) I'm aware the chronicles have their dose of popularity, b) I like to participate when inspired, c) see it may be of interest to DW and it attracts people, d) addon makers get some instant feedback.

myk said:

It is certainly possible for DW to find a new /newstuff person, but I think there's a more economical way of doing this that DW news people may be interested in. Simply create a news item each week listing the news WADs available, and people freely post reviews or opinions on whatever they want.

You could argue that people can normally do this in the WADs and mods forum, but making it a regular news activity encourages debate and sparks up curiosity (we have seen how /newstuff threads are very popular, a disorganized thing wouldn't work out as well.) In addition, the forums are for spontaneous talk about WADs while the fact that there's new WADs up at idgames is certainly DOOM-related news.

This idea could save anyone from having to work through all the WADs every week (and bearing sole blame if his previews are disliked,) would remove the problem of having to depend on a single person to do all that work, and would keep the chronicles alive.

I propose this as: a) I'm aware the chronicles have their dose of popularity, b) I like to participate when inspired, c) see it may be of interest to DW and it attracts people, d) addon makers get some instant feedback.

This sounds Intriguing to me, but there might be one drawback, the only possible problem that i see is some of the people that post their opinions and jazz about the wads might get a little carried away with it or go completley incompetent and be a total Jackass, I'm doubting this will happen but hey, ya never kno, Im just saying, dont take any of this seriously..

The other problem I see is if someone reviews his own maps. It's almost guaranteed that he'll be biased in favor of his maps.

Ichor said:

The other problem I see is if someone reviews his own maps. It's almost guaranteed that he'll be biased in favor of his maps.

Perhaps, unlike Me :) I insult my maps all the time, and thats probly cause i've only spent 2 months on my first 5½ maps, and I just started it so its okay for me to harshly burn my own maps, right? Right??

Those two problems you guys point out already exist in the normal /newstuff chronicles... Think about it as the usual chronicles, but instead of having someone start the news with descriptions of all the WADs these are left empty and anyone willing gives their opinion. If you guys have participated in the threads in the past, then your "newstuff" work has already started. Naturally, people will tend to give longer views of things that interest them in particuar. Up to this day, has anything stopped people from posting about their own maps? No... they usually do so to help out, give thanks, or something, and I don't see why someone would want to "review" his own maps. The point in discussing newstuff isn't whether something gets "good ratings" or not, it is to present new maps and exchange opinions and insights about them.

An example: One sunday mewse opens the /newstuff chronicles #96, telling us this WAD, that WAD and that other WAD are up at /newstuff and asking us to give opinions, previews, reviews, etc. We start posting. It doesn't mean every WAD will be covered extensively, but most probably will to some degree... if for some reason it doesn't work out, well, Linguica can choose another "official" /newstuff guy... or not.

myk said:

Dammit, I was going to suggest this. Beaten to it! Anyway i think, in the absence of a reviewer, this a great idea and should be started THIS weekend. After all it'd only a minute or two to see whats in newstuff and list them on DW.

:( Well first and foremost I think we all owe Liam a massive thank-you for his time and effort, yay! Many people may not have entirely agreed with his style or view-point at times, myself included, but he was certainly provocative and whipped people into response. As we can see also, many people looked forward to his reviews with positive anticipation, again myself included. It's a shame to hear 'too much shit has been going down in that damp jizz-smelling corner of a shithole room', I hope you can sort it Liam, good luck.:)

Ichor said:

Ok, here's the obvious question:

Who will take over, if anyone?

My votes goes to Maonth, Fredrik, Nightmare, or AndrewB.

The only trouble is that whoever takes over will have to have access to the DW server in order to put up the screenshots. Which rules most of us out.

(I wouldn't mind having a go, as I always check newstuff and play all the wads, but I'd probably get slated for bias towards tech maps - but, although they're my favourite style, I still like the other styles, too)

I've been reading all these threads discussing review methods and I think the way to do it is to focus on the positives (but at the same time from a neutral point of view), with the only criticisms being constructive, and only where appropriate, as I know what it feels like to get a bad review of your own wads.

And I also agree - credit to Liam for doing a great job these past few months, despite the flamewars.

myk said:

Those two problems you guys point out already exist in the normal /newstuff chronicles... Think about it as the usual chronicles, but instead of having someone start the news with descriptions of all the WADs these are left empty and anyone willing gives their opinion. If you guys have participated in the threads in the past, then your "newstuff" work has already started. Naturally, people will tend to give longer views of things that interest them in particuar. Up to this day, has anything stopped people from posting about their own maps? No... they usually do so to help out, give thanks, or something, and I don't see why someone would want to "review" his own maps. The point in discussing newstuff isn't whether something gets "good ratings" or not, it is to present new maps and exchange opinions and insights about them.

An example: One sunday mewse opens the /newstuff chronicles #96, telling us this WAD, that WAD and that other WAD are up at /newstuff and asking us to give opinions, previews, reviews, etc. We start posting. It doesn't mean every WAD will be covered extensively, but most probably will to some degree... if for some reason it doesn't work out, well, Linguica can choose another "official" /newstuff guy... or not.

Indeed, nevertheless, I'd rarely post my opinion cause I dont want other people to take my opinion and find it incorrect, then again its just my opinion so it doesnt matter :) Also my opinion doesnt matter, im different :P

Aww... although I didn't agree with everything you had to say Liam, you'll still be missed. You gave me that good, complimentary review on Telekenesis... I expected it to be worse... have a happy life.

Ultimate DooMer said:

The only trouble is that whoever takes over will have to have access to the DW server in order to put up the screenshots. Which rules most of us out.

Pretty irrelevant to me... I almost never checked the screenies myself. Anyone really wanting to post shots can do so on a separate temp page (geocities or whatever), giving a link.

What I posted is in vain lest the DW news people decide to post the "idgames news" or Linguica decides to choose another "reviewer."

It's also silly to say "hey let's be kinder to the reviewer" just out of fear that he might leave. If his posts inspire disagreement or even indignation, that might as well be voiced.

What I'll do personally as the time approaches next week is mail the news people about this... not that they haven't probably seen this thread, but if they get mail requesting the news they will most likely post it, as usual.

---

999cop: I doubt any of those people, busy already with life and their own projects, would be willing to check all the new maps each week. They might want to contribute to what I proposed though.

Well, I do feel bad for shitting all over Liam that last time. I mean, atleast the guy was getting off his ass and doing something for the community unlike myself. :p

Mustafa Saed: How about YOU write t/nc for a month or so, on time EVERY time, being fair, constructive, and yet still giving us an idea what might be worth our time to download? I mean, you OBVIOUSLY know your shit.