Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ajora

The Ontario provincial election

I'm surprised how much traction this is gaining internationally right now. I'm old enough to have seen this story play out before back when Mike Harris was premier. Trickle down economics, and cutting funds for healthcare and education demonstrably don't improve the economy. I'm perfectly fine with Doug Ford as a person, but I've always resented the idea of people voting for politicians based on how much they like them, rather than their platform.

People really dislike Kathleen Wynne, even though she's done a pretty good job in regards to managing the economy. She's rebuked all of the baseless accusations that she hasn't created jobs, and has created a fairly impressive budget surplus. Selling Hydro One was a bad idea, but people have really blown that out of proportion. 

Doug Ford was projected to win the majority, but few of us would have imagined it to be this massive. There was a lot of support for the NDP party from young people, but barely anyone in the younger age categories bothered to go out and vote. Voting in a democratic election is an incredible privilege, and it's a shame that so many people take their power to vote for granted. 

On 6/7/2018 at 9:00 PM, Ajora said:

I've always resented the idea of people voting for politicians based on how much they like them, rather than their platform.

Frankly, I don't think "the people" altogether are voting with their brains. Exceptions may confirm the rule, though, but I am fairly confident people vote with their guts above all things.

9 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Frankly, I don't think "the people" altogether are voting with their brains. Exceptions may confirm the rule, though, but I am fairly confident people vote with their guts above all things.

Usually, that is the case.