Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zokum

Doom 2 Map09 'slime trails' fixed. Bug found in BSP, DoomBSP, Zennode. Fixed in ZokumBSP 1.0.10-beta11.

Is it really possible that in 24 years no one ever noticed that node builders didn't properly update the "angle" field of a seg when splitting it?

58 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Is it really possible that in 24 years no one ever noticed that node builders didn't properly update the "angle" field of a seg when splitting it?

Yes. It seems both ZenNode, BSP and DoomBSP gets it wrong. ZokumBSP already has a fix in place, and since the "cat" is out of the bag, i'll release a public beta with the fix in place.

Here it is:

http://doom2.net/zokum/zokumbsp/releases/zokumbsp-1.0.10-beta11-win32-mingw.zip

Please note that the previous beta 10 had a minor bug in it, leftover from some testing I did. Beta 11 should work better :)

Edited by zokum

Here is an omgifol script to rebuild seg angles for all segs in a map. This is not particularly well tested.

from __future__ import print_function
from sys import argv
from omg import *
from omg.mapedit import *
import math

def newsegs(map):
    ed = MapEditor(map)
    for seg in ed.segs:
        seg.angle = angle((ed.vertexes[seg.vx_b].x - ed.vertexes[seg.vx_a].x),
                          (ed.vertexes[seg.vx_b].y - ed.vertexes[seg.vx_a].y))
    return ed.to_lumps()

def angle(dx, dy):
    w = math.atan2(dy, dx) * (65536/(math.pi*2))
    if (w < 0):
        w = 65536 + w
    return w

def main(args):
    if (len(args) < 2):
        print("    Omgifol script: recalculate seg angles\n")
        print("    Usage:")
        print("    newsegs.py input.wad output.wad [pattern]\n")
        print("    Recalculate seg angles on all maps or those whose name match the given pattern")
        print("    (eg E?M4 or MAP*).")
    else:
        print("Loading %s..." % args[0])
        inwad = WAD()
        outwad = WAD()
        inwad.from_file(args[0])
        pattern = "*"
        if (len(args) == 3):
            pattern = args[2]
        for name in inwad.maps.find(pattern):
            print("Rebuilding seg angles for %s" % name)
            outwad.maps[name] = newsegs(inwad.maps[name])
        print("Saving %s..." % args[1])
        outwad.to_file(args[1])

if __name__ == "__main__": main(argv[1:])

Woah, that seems like a huge revelation. I'm continually amazed by the new things people are still discovering about Doom nearly 25 years later.

Bravo! That's a huge cause for moving to ZokumBSP. Except the fact that GZDB-BF does not support this BSP...

@riderr3: It's supported in Doombuilder X. Besides, you can just rename zokumbsp.exe to zennode.exe and it should work just fine. It's backwards compatible.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

We should point out that this does not appear to fix the E1M1 slime trail.

Yeah, it only seems to fix one kind of slime trail. As a bonus, split segs (walls) should now be rendered more accuratly.

4 hours ago, zokum said:

Yes. It seems both ZenNode, BSP and DoomBSP gets it wrong. ZokumBSP already has a fix in place, and since the "cat" is out of the bag, i'll release a public beta with the fix in place.

Here it is:

http://doom2.net/zokum/zokumbsp/releases/zokumbsp-1.0.10-beta11-win32-mingw.zip

Please note that the previous beta 10 had a minor bug in it, leftover from some testing I did. Beta 11 should work better :)

Wow, great work! Doom's looking better and better!

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

We should point out that this does not appear to fix the E1M1 slime trail.

Maybe that slime trail is the fractional intercept issue, as it's the other half of the equation. The angle fix should bring the E1M1 issue into high relief, and make the math easier to investigate.

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

Wow, great work! Doom's looking better and better!

Maybe that slime trail is the fractional intercept issue, as it's the other half of the equation. The angle fix should bring the E1M1 issue into high relief, and make the math easier to investigate.

The e1m1 one is a true slime trail. The map09 is a different problem as far as I can tell. True slime trails manifest as strips of the floor or ceiling texture being rendered. The problem on map09 is caused by the angle being wrong and the seg being viewed almost parallell to the player's line of sight. Since the precomputed angle is wrong, the resulting texture rendering is also wrong. This type of error needs a new name, it's not a slime trail at all.

"Bad seg angle" might be an ok name for this map09 problem.

Edited by zokum

Good find. For a long time, I think, people have been using these tools, just assuming that they were doing the right thing. Thanks for questioning that assumption. We're really moving towards exorcising the remaining stubborn bugs in Doom, and it's only taken a quarter century :)

The next step is to fix the angles upon port map load, to make the "bad angle" issue disappear. I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect sync in any way - it's only used by the renderer.

Edited by kb1

Recomputing all the angles would probably be nice. A lot of the id-computed angles are off by 1 BAM. I haven't looked into what is mathematically correct, but 1 BAM is a fairly low error in any case. It might be something as simple as a higher precision algorithm is used today for computing the angles than what DoomBSP had in 1993.

I wonder how many other maps than map09 suffer from this error, and how many pwads. Maybe @Linguica could conjure up some stats and locations of the troublesome spots with his omgiflol script for doom.wad and doom2.wad. It shouldn't be that hard to output the sector and linedef # of an affected seg. Maybe someone could do some before and after screenshots of fixed rendering.

I think segs have to be really short for this to actually matter rendering wise in an easily noticable way. Wall rendering should change slightly on many walls though, would be interesting to see if there's a noticable difference.

What is most correct is, of course, what renders the best. I'm thinking about adding a couple cheats to my port: Recalc angles using round-to-zero, and recalc using round-to-nearest, and just trying it in various places. This function could also output statistics of the most-incorrect angle in the map, which could tell you where to look, and how widespread the issue is.

If this empirical testing provides some solid conclusions, the recalc could become a standard map loading task, which would be most convenient. It's pretty exciting to be crushing one more Doom rendering bug!

Round to nearest will give the best result. A two-sided linedef like on the star structure on map09 can be viewed from both sides. So if you were able to "hide" any imperfection better on one side, you will make it more obvious when viewed from the other side (180 degrees).

The precision on angles is quite good and this was only a problem on short lines. With a round to nearest int, the error is at most 0.5 / 65536. The error on the star structure were over 500 BAMs. That means the angle was off by over 1000 times the worst theoretical error when computed correctly.

With longer lines the deviation would naturally be smaller and lowering the chance of bad rendering. Over a certain length the problem most likely goes away even if the angle is slightly off.

A lot of lines in the game are off by 1 BAM, most likely due to rounding / different algorithms. This isn't noticable as far as I can tell, but might be on really long lines, I haven't checked. Just use lrint() with bsp's algorithm for computing angles. The one ZenNode used was a lot less readable.

Edited by zokum

What you don't want is that "accounting rounding" stuff (or whatever it's called) where 2.5 ~= 3, and 3.5 ~= 3 (odd rounds up, even rounds down), or I may have it backwards. Int(Value + 0.5) works for me. Wow, I didn't realize the star angle was that far off. I'd really like to know how it got that way. I don't really believe in HDD errors, though they do happen. More likely, some weird bug in DoomBSP shit the bed on the star. I wonder if a rebuild with DoomBSP would yield the same results.

Really, I want to know how prevalent the bug is: Is it a one in a million type thing, or does it occur everywhere? Is the bug limited to a single node builder, or every node builder derived for a certain bad node builder? But, the cat's out of the bag, now, huh?

ZenNode and BSP have similar errors. Most likely due to copying the behaviour of DoomBSP. The error is present on pretty much every map in the game, but whether it is noticable depends on a few factors. With a bit of tweaking, the omgiflol script in this thread can easily tell you how common this is. The error happens whenever a diagonal line is split and the intersection is not on an integer coordinate. This is a fairly  common occurence, but it will only cause problems when one ends up with short segs as the rounding error is generally bigger then.

Boom and MBF contain code to detect when a seg vertex is "off" a linedef, and to correct the position to be "on" the linedef.  For MBF, see the P_RemoveSlimeTrails() function in p_setup.c.

Interestingly, neither of them fix the angle.  Hence it is quite possible that if a node builder sets the "angle" to be exactly correct for a seg, then the code in Boom and MBF (and other ports that adopted it) will now be producing segs with a bad angle, and causing the same issue you were trying to fix.

As far as I understand, most ports do not use the angle field. When moving the vertex, it would be logical to assume the precomputed angle can no longer be counted on to be correct. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen so far, it seems to have been generally assumed that the angle fits the seg, not the parent linedef.