Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Command and Conquer: Rivals

An utter insult to anyone who is a long time Command and Conquer fan. Even the like/dislike ratio and the comments says it all.

What. The. Fuck? 

After Command & Conquer 4, and that piece of shit cash grab that is that Tiberium Alliance's browser game, I swore to myself to never buy or play anything made by Electronic Art's. I definitely will not buy this. 

5 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I definitely will not buy this. 

It's a free to play* mobile game.

*And then pay to win.

I like old CNC games like Tiberian Dawn and first Red Alert. But now game company are parasiting on old franchise name, making crap.

It seems they took so much effort on the trailer, which exceeds the labor costs for the game itself several times!

Edited by riderr3

If the downvote to upvote count has anything to say about this- and what happened during the ol' Lootbox drama a few months ago? Yeeeeaah

Haven't played any games in that series or know much about it in the first place, but holy hell what happened with the upvotes and downvotes of that trailer? At the time of writing this it sits at 1.1K likes and 25K dislikes rofl.

Good laugh :v .

I was watching the Snarkathon stream last night and Genna Bain actually said, "This sounds really morbid, but I'm so glad my husband isn't around to see this ..."

2 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Looks like it might be fun.

I hope you're joking on this. It's a casual, trashy tapping piece of garbage mobile game.

2 hours ago, scalliano said:

I was watching the Snarkathon stream last night and Genna Bain actually said, "This sounds really morbid, but I'm so glad my husband isn't around to see this ..."

Yeah, Genna did say that and somebody clipped what she said.

And from what I've heard, the pre-alpha is on the Android store to try out, so if you want to try it (in due time) and review bomb it, more power to you as a consumer and a fan of Command and Conquer. They already destroyed the franchise with CNC4: Tiberian Twilight, this is just parading the corpse around some more for microtransactions and other bullshit.

Somebody tell me there was a live reaction from the audience from people at their reveal of this..

Edited by Glaice

2 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

Looks like it might be fun.

If you trolley-bulley now that's not a good idea since there are a lot of GLA and NOD followers.

I had maxed reaction, like the trailer thought.

...I'm not sure about the game itself, it's hard to describe to me.

15 hours ago, Starkiller said:

What. The. Fuck? 

After Command & Conquer 4, and that piece of shit cash grab that is that Tiberium Alliance's browser game, I swore to myself to never buy or play anything made by Electronic Art's. I definitely will not buy this. 

It looks like it could be free, I'm not sure about you thought.

20 hours ago, Glaice said:

An utter insult to anyone who is a long time Command and Conquer fan. Even the like/dislike ratio and the comments says it all.

I'm new to Command and Conquer, so I don't know.

9 hours ago, Pegg said:

I feel bad for the poor people who developed this game, they have no idea what awaits them..

I hope this game will get into a day of light.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Haven't played any games in that series or know much about it in the first place, but holy hell what happened with the upvotes and downvotes of that trailer? At the time of writing this it sits at 1.1K likes and 25K dislikes rofl.

Good laugh :v .

If this video is all downvotes, then everyone that love this game will be ****** off.

And sorry for the triple comment.

As someone who's main genre was RTS and main game series was C & C until Red Alert 3 all this does is hurt

56 minutes ago, Pinchy said:

As someone who's main genre was RTS and main game series was C & C until Red Alert 3 all this does is hurt

Well, not really

12 hours ago, Pinchy said:

As someone who used to consider Command & Conquer his favorite RTS franchise, I've moved on. This trailer just kinda makes me laugh at EA.

The RTS genre has known better days anyway and since EA is EA and owns the franchise, I've simply accepted that if the RTS genre were ever to be revived, it wouldn't be with a Command & Conquer game.

Edited by dsm : misleading expression

TBH the only C&C game i've ever played was the original back in the day, it was kickass game and i have fond memories of it... but this... is just EA being EA, they did it with Dungeon Kepper, now they're doing it to C&C sadly

Might as well wash off the bad taste by listening to the original game kickass music instead of thinking of this garbage

Spoiler

I saw the trailer earlier today and started laughing. I'd understand it as a side-dish to a real game, kind of like Fallout Shelter... but this is all they've got, isn't it? The series is driven into the ground and after this it's a one-way trip behind the shed. That's what EA is best at!

Here's how Rivals works: it's an RTS in the sense that the action happens in real-time, but it plays out on a static map (you can't move the camera). There are three control points, two bases (one for each player) and Tiberium to harvest. By tapping on the screen you can spend resources to produce units, which you can then move about a hex grid by tapping again. The idea is to power up a missile silo by controlling territory, then firing off a missile to destroy the enemy base.

"There's nothing in the game that is locked behind a paywall," Martinez promised. "All of the content you will be able to get. Every player, without paying, will be able to get and earn all of that content. You progress and earn it over time. If we were to give you all of the content right away, that would actually be overwhelming. When you play the game right now there's a tutorial that ramps you onto it."

What you can pay for, however, is to accelerate your progression. Specifically, you can pay to unlock units faster and then level them up faster than you would otherwise.

First, you have to build a missile silo to destroy your opponent. It's a turtle game. No. That's boring.

Second, they say nothing is locked behind a paywall. That may be true, but look at the third point.

Third, you can pay to unlock units sooner and level them faster. Unless your opponent's much more competent than you, it's a pay to win scenario. No. Fuck you, EA.

C&C was build a large army and use it meticulously to smash your opponent, not hide in your little corner and hope like hell you get your "I win" button before your opponent. Unless you can destroy the enemy base without that stupid silo, it's pretty much just a turtle game with nearly no room for aggressive play.

one of my favorite parts of playing RTS games is having intense amounts of tension because of huge swaths of the map being shrouded in fog of war, with all enemy movements and base building completely unknown to you. Another fun part of RTS games that I love is efficient base building, from fun things like Protoss FE walls in Starcraft letting you slow down an enemy enough to fight them, or subtly placing houses to block persian douches in 1v1 arabia vs. Persians in AoE2. It's also fun to manage motion of your large armies, as your army expands well beyond what one sane man can actually move without unlimited select. Most RTS games also incorporate terrain as a mechanic. Use higher elevation in AoE2 to gain a damage bonus. Put your units in Starcraft at the top of a cliff, and they can fire down upon things below while the things below can't see up and are disadvantaged in attacking. 

None of these things exist here. You have one base, it has a completely unified health pool, the primary way to fight it is to control a super cannon that does exactly half its hp, presumably it can't be repaired, is there any base management at all? The map is empty, boring, with no elevation changes or cliffs or any fucking obstacles whatsoever, with no terrain whatsoever to make the whole thing any interesting. There is LOS, but there's not much to hide and the players had very strong visibility at all times. The playing field is uneven because all units can be boosted in persistent upgrades, which can be paid for.

I'm sorry, Mr. EA spokesperson, but I can go into this knowing full well it won't be any fun for me. heh. It's not like strat even needs to suck on mobile, there's been some convincing efforts over the years. But this is shitting on a very well known franchise and its not implemented in a particularly interesting manner. Controlling a super cannon is pretty fucking boring.

But but Doom Eternal got an entire forum category for it!

More seriously most of the games shown probably just aren't of interest to this community. On the other hand with a lot of oldschool gaming fans here, seeing someone shit on a beloved franchise this hard really gets people upset.

Amusingly, Elder Scrolls VI has barely even been mentioned at all.

But I'm with InsanityBringer, a lot of us were a little upset at this reveal, and especially what the devs said (quoted from eurogamer.net above).

And the free to play thing?

2018-06-06.jpg

All I can say is I wish EA would just go bankrupt so they can stop ruining this series, or other game series for that matter.