Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Do0t

Asylum of the damned

This is a map i did some time ago but never published anywhere besides a
youtube comment on Vertigo channel, he never played my map and there's
isn't too much i can do with this map, so i will just publish here.

Overall the map is just myself messing up with Gzdoom features, most
everything is done by voodoo doll.

Difficulty made; Ultra-violence
Gameplay time; 20 minutes
Jump and crouch need.
Freelook optional.
OpenGl.

Download; https://nofile.io/f/dWN9W773knp/The+asylum2.wad

old version; https://nofile.io/f/kqVS2ngsf1O/The+asylum.wad

Spoiler

gd70d1a.pngX5Uq549.pngcM3lZ9O.png

Edited by Do0t

On 6/9/2018 at 11:45 PM, Do0t said:

Overall the map is just myself messing up with Gzdoom features

Considering that, the map came out pretty nicely I think.

15 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Considering that, the map came out pretty nicely I think.

Thanks! Did you finish my map ? found any problem ? Any feedback/criticism would be nice :)

11 minutes ago, Do0t said:

Thanks! Did you finish my map ? found any problem ? Any feedback/criticism would be nice :)

Yes, I finished it. I'm not the best at giving criticism, but I'll do my best:

• I feel like the chaingunners in the main hall aren't doing much besides being an annoyance. Hitscanners can be good for limiting player movement in a bigger firefight, but in this case the player can just camp in the entrance without too much of a problem.
  • The Mastermind at the end wasn't threatening at all, since the player can easily kill the imps. Some thougher enemies would've forced the player to move out of cover.
  • I went to the second floor to face the Cyberdemon, making the imps completely irrelevant.
  • This isn't inherently bad, but the map has too much ammo IMO.
  • The map did feel like a tech demo at times, although it was to be expected considering your description of it.
  • The switches that need the keys can be pressed more than once. Is there any good reason for this? It was a bit confusing.

It isn't mandatory, but a lot of the areas felt very "barren" and could use some more detailing. The final area looks great though!

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:
  • I feel like the chaingunners in the main hall aren't doing much besides being an annoyance. Hitscanners can be good for limiting player movement in a bigger firefight, but in this case the player can just camp in the entrance without too much of a problem.

I haven't played your level, but seeing this comment, I wanted to chime in with my two cents. If you intend the chaingunners to be an annoyance to the player and not much of a threat, then they're fine in this manner.

Otherwise, you have to make sure that the player can't just leave the room (either by locking the door or by putting other monsters in the hallway outside the room) and then arrange the hitscanners in one of the following ways:

• A large mob of hitscanners (there are more elegant approaches to hitscanners, in my opinion)
  • Hitscanners that surround the player, whether through the use of monster closets or teleport traps
  • Hitscanners that are spread out around the room, so that you can't just shoot multiple hitscanners at the same time and have to focus on one and then move to the others, which gives the others time to inflict damage

Just finished a map and have a video posted below the spoiler where I say my thoughts at different points (I am not really the best speaker). My thoughts on the map:

• There is potential for the rooms to be touched on and look visually appealing, with some touch of lights and perhaps custom textures even, they could look really nice.
  • I like the use of the ghost monsters, though it would have been nice to have them appear in other parts of the map as seeing them only at the start and the outdoor courtyard (or so I think it is) is kind of disappointing.
  • Ammo is inconsistent. Around the start you have to manage your ammo a bit, but after that, you have plenty of bullets and shotgun shells to use that you never run out.
  • Hitscanners could be used more effectively, as they are more or less a pushover even when locked inside some rooms.
  • The ambushes with the Yellow Skull Key and circular indoor room could of had tougher and a more varied amount of enemies, but given their large space and what not, they are rather easy to overcome.
  • The use of jumping and crouching is nice to see, I like exploration in maps that make use of that, especially secret hunting.
  • Health and armor could be more consistent, as in some rooms they're abundant (including the final room).
  • Is being able to press the three switches a bug to the map?
  • The final room against the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind is underwhelming. With only Imps spawning indefinitely, I had no problem taking out the Mastermind since Imps are easy to kill with a blast of the Super Shotgun. As mentioned by KVELLER's post, tougher enemies could have helped to get the player to move around than stay in one spot. The Imps also don't seem to get on the second floor, meaning you can take out the Cyberdemon from the other ledge and dodge rockets with ease.
  • The whole map could be something great with polish and many changes to improve the map's quality. While it may a map made by playing around with GZDoom features, what is there does have something to build more from.

Overall, I did enjoyed the map, it is nice to see ZDoom features being made use of, playing the map with OpenGL lights helps make some rooms pop out a bit.

Spoiler

My voice isn't exactly good.

2 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

Woah! Thanks for the video and feedback.

And about your points;

Difficulty
Yeah, watching your video make the map look way easy then it's supposed to be and there's 2 reasons;
first, the map is build in a way to be able to finish without secrets, and you used every secret, making the map way easier, two, that's not your first playthrough, so you already know every ambush. 

That's not the first version of my map, i actually did some changes to make easier so everyone would be able to finish without secrets, more ammo/health and less monsters, of course, i could make a turn back! 

Visual
You are playing without slopes and lights which affect not only the visual but also the gameplay, so not sure what to say about that

I only used doom 2 textures because i wanted to know how far i could push the visual of the map without custom textures

The switch is a sloped floor texture, the actual switch you activate is a invisible wall around this "switch floor" and i forgotten the flag "repeatable action" on but it don't do anything harmful.

I'll try to clarify a couple things and maybe look back at what I previously stated.

Difficulty: True, finding the secrets did made the map easier, and I can understand making a map possible to complete without finding any secrets. However, some maps remain fairly difficult even when you find secrets since finding the secrets, and while they do give an advantage, it doesn't necessarily mean the map would have to become easy just because you know the secrets. I just find the ambushes rather underwhelming, with the rooms being so large but there isn't much of a threat even if you don't find the secrets. Not saying all maps have to be hard or anything, but it could be more entertaining.

Visuals: In the video I disabled lights for the sake of performance while recording. The first time I played the map, I enabled lights and they sure helped the level look appealing in that regard. While lights don't exactly contribute to gameplay entirely, I am aware it can add some eye candy. As for textures, I do appreciate what you tried to do with the stock Doom 2 textures and some of it does look decent in the end. Might be a personal preference of mine with custom textures and all. Although adding more to the rooms so they don't appear so "barren" might help since the Doom 2 textures can show their "ugliness", if that's how to put it.

I'm aware the switches aren't harmful to the map, I was kind of wondering as to why that is. You don't have to listen to everything I pointed out since some as I mentioned are more personal preferences, but you're more than welcome to do any changes or improvements to how they fit you, finding your own style helps!

Update!

I did a harder version, tight ammo, more monsters and small changes in the map, changed secrets localization, new small room secret