Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Eternal is a game, that exists

14 hours ago, Poncho said:

Wait, I don't get it - is this a proper sequel to Doom 2016?

It is a sequel, yes. Not sure how long after DOOM 2016 this takes place.

1 minute ago, Caffeine Freak said:

It is a sequel, yes. Not sure how long after DOOM 2016 this takes place.

If I had to guess not long, maybe a couple months. I'm sure this is a result of Hayden taking the sword back to the planet. How exactly he caused hell on earth we can only speculate.

14 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I hope we're getting it this Christmas.

That won't happen. Not to dash your hopes, but no way.

They released the first teaser for DOOM back in late Sping of 2014, a full two years before the game came out. Granted, they have a solid foundational base to build their game on now, and a dev team that probably largely worked on the first game, but still. They aren't going to release the first teaser a mere six months before releasing the game. They need time to gauge initial reactions to whatever new content and features they're introducing. I'd say the earliest possible release date is late Spring or early Summer 2019.

Honestly though, I'm fine with waiting another year or two before playibg this, as unbelievable as it looks. I want time for aniticipation to build, (because that makes it all the more rewarding when you finally play) and for them to deliver as polished of a game as possible.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

I liked Doom2016. I thought it was more like old school doom gameplay than doom3 was, even though it was Bethesda and only a little taste of ID. The shame of it is, I wonder how much of the ID team are really doing anything with this newest build? Theres only a little bit of Doom feel in any of these "newer" Doom games, but they are cool games despite this. I'm sure I'll buy it, but not until the new release price drops.

@Caffeine Freak

I think they were still figuring out how to make the game in 2014. AFAIK, the reboot had started in 2013.

Now that they have a solid foundation, it shouldn't take that long anymore as they have a much clearer vision.

I wouldn't be surprised various monster models were already created and even partially animated during 2016 development but had to be put on the back burner for time restraints.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

@Caffeine Freak

I think they were still figuring out how to make the game in 2014. AFAIK, the reboot had started in 2013.

Now that they have a solid foundation, it shouldn't take that long anymore as they have a much clearer vision.

It's only been two years since they released the last game. In that time, they've been working on DLC for DOOM 2016, Doom VFR, RAGE, Quake Champions, and DOOM Eternal. And even *if* you assume they started work on the sequel the minute that DOOM 2016 was out the door, again, they still need time to gauge the reception to whatever new features they're putting in the game.

You're crazy if you honestly think there's a chance in hell of this game being released in 2018, in the mere four months time after they debut the gameplay at Quakecon in August.

6 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

It's only been two years since they released the last game. In that time, they've been working on DLC for DOOM 2016, Doom VFR, RAGE, Quake Champions, and DOOM Eternal. And even *if* you assume they started work on the sequel the minute that DOOM 2016 was out the door, again, they still need time to gauge the reception to whatever new features they're putting in the game.

You're crazy if you honestly think there's a chance in hell of this game being released in 2018, in the mere four months time after they debut the gameplay at Quakecon in August.

The DLC was probably in the works before the game came out. I don't think the whole team worked on VFR. For example, artists probably worked on Eternal. Avalanche is the primary developer of RAGE 2, it's not even using Id Tech. Quake Champions is primarily developed by Sabre Interactive.

12 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

The DLC was probably in the works before the game came out. I don't think the whole team worked on VFR. For example, artists probably worked on Eternal. Avalanche is the primary developer of RAGE 2, it's not even using Id Tech. Quake Champions is primarily developed by Sabre Interactive.

The point is, they've been busy with a lot of projects in the last two years. Every new project they work on is additional drainage on the finite resources they have. 

And even though their groundwork and foundation is more laid out for them with this installment, that doesn't mean they're just going to do what amounts to a new level pack. They know what direction to pursue here, but you can bet that there'll be some significant additions and changes to the mix. That's part of making a proper sequel. Can you name a single AAA title id has done that's been released within six months after debuting gameplay to the public at large? 

EDIT: even if I assumed they started work on Doom Eternal right after releasing Doom 2016 and immediately knew the *exact* direction they were taking with every single aspect of the game, I still wouldn't believe a 2018 release was possible. 2 1/2 years simply isn't enough time to pump out a proper AAA title with as much content as they probably want to put in a Doom game. 

Edited by Caffeine Freak

Yeah, even if not all of these games such as RAGE 2 and (apparently?) Quake Champions are handled primarily by id, they most certainly do have enough on their plate right now, without counting the work they did on D2016 post-launch as well.

I am definitely not expecting Eternal to arrive in 2018 either. Even if the groundwork is laid out, Summer/Fall 2019 sounds much more reasonable. D2016 didn't arrive in the same year the gameplay footage was shown either.

Edited by Agent6

My very first thought was: are they going to do a Terminator-2 skull stomp?

Yeah they went with the skull-stomp.

I really hope to see a more traditional fighting approach this time around, like in our ever so adored Classic Doom games, and not the entirety of the game being nothing more than an Arena-style shooter similar to Doom 2016.

1 hour ago, Rosh Fragger said:

I really hope to see a more traditional fighting approach this time around, like in our ever so adored Classic Doom games, and not the entirety of the game being nothing more than an Arena-style shooter similar to Doom 2016.

Hopefully if we all keep saying this it'll happen :D

They got engine, assets they should make only new maps and little additions and shoot Doom game every year. I would be happy.

I really liked the dead marines shown in the beginning of the teaser, they resemble a mix between the marines from Aliens and Doom 3.  Hopefully those are the marines you fight in this game (wasn't a massive fan of the zombies from Doom 2016).

Oh yes, welcome back from my 2 year hiatus!

Edited by STILES

As excited as this teaser makes me, I am a little concerned about Doom Eternal being announced this soon. A lot of people consider Wolfenstein 2: TNC to be a bit of a letdown and it seems to me that this is more a result of time pressure and pushing it out too quickly (though there's apparently a lot of forced political bullshit in it too, which any idiot who won a Leadership position in the lotto could have forced in there). Even the smartest, most highly disciplined people can make some right weird mistakes and insane judgment calls when under too much pressure.

If Doom: Eternal comes out in 2019 and it proves to be awesome, then great, but I'd happily wait another 3 years (or even 5) if it means a more polished product. I know Id's track record is to release solid games, but there have been cases where their game came out buggy at release (Quake 2 had a slew of post-release patches and Rage was reportedly unplayable for a lot of PC players until the first patch).

I don't care about the argument that Doom 2016 was developed over a mere 3 years after Doom 4.0 got scrapped and still turned out excellent - a lot of gameplay design that ended up in Doom 2016 was an evolution of ideas from Doom 4.0 (which had nearly a decade worth of design work put into it) and while Doom: Eternal technically just needs to polish what was already in Doom 2016, the same could be said for Wolfenstein 2 and look how that turned out: not terrible but not awesome either. (Watch the NoClip Documentary on Doom 2016's development and its design if you need a source to back up my claim).

I'm rather leaning towards having Doom: Eternal be great rather than merely "ok" and the last thing I want for it is to have rushed design that ends up being partially broken because they were too eager to add new features without the necessary time to test them properly.

I waited over a decade for Doom 3 (and boy did it feel like a loooong time back then!). I managed to weather yet another decade before Doom 2016 came out. I think I can handle another 3-5 years no problem.

Does it have a new design for the suit? I've read some posts and I think I've also seen an image, but I'm not sure where. If someone has can you post it ?

18 minutes ago, dsm said:

Quake 2 had a slew of post-release patches

You're citing the production of Quake 2? A game released in 1997 by a team of like 15?

I might add that Id's track record back then was pretty solid as well so I fail to see what's wrong with "citing the production of a 1997 game by a team of like 15".

Games were less complex to make back then so you could get away with a smaller team. What was your point again?

My point is that worrying that Doom Eternal has too short of a development cycle, and citing Quake 2 as evidence, is just a non sequitur. What id was in 1997 and what id is today are not comparable at all.

I honestly think the difference between the development of Doom 2016 and the development of Doom Eternal is night and day. 

During Doom 2016’s development, you can tell they were kind of struggling with ideas and how they would better mesh with what Doom represents, especially after the project got restarted from scratch. According to some alpha leaks, there were apparently things that never made it into the final product, such as an upgradable BFG, Hell Knights with laser swords, and the Cyberdemon being a recurring foe rather than a one-time enemy. Plus, it’s evidenced further in the level design and disappearing corpses, where the former starts to have more linear levels, whereas the latter seems to have been a last-minute implementation due to struggles with the physics system. 

All in all, it appears that they were trying to find their footing after a disastrous development cycle involving Doom 4 1.0. 

With Doom Eternal, it appears that not only have they found the right groove to tune things to, they found out exactly how to build upon the Doom formula and present it, the latter coming from the teaser alone. The color palette and city visuals are strikingly similar to Doom II, the demons look easily recognizable and updated, and it appears that even the old dogs have new tricks. This is best evidenced by that interview with Hugo Martin, where he mentioned something about new game mechanics, but kind of winked and nodded when asked about them. 

It certainly helps that Machinegames improved upon the physics and gore of their product, evidenced by both corpses and gibs being virtually permanent, showing how one can improve upon id Tech 6. 

That being said, I fully expect the release date to be late 2019/early 2020. 

11 hours ago, Chezza said:

I wouldn't be surprised various monster models were already created and even partially animated during 2016 development but had to be put on the back burner for time restraints.

There are a couple if you have seen the art book.  The gremlin was one of them I think.

1 hour ago, rekko said:

Does it have a new design for the suit? I've read some posts and I think I've also seen an image, but I'm not sure where. If someone has can you post it ?

The new theory is that the Doom slayer loses his armor and gets normal marine armor in this game.  Is he now the Doom guy?

Edited by Zemini

@Zemini

Who knows, perhaps you can use the Crucible only if you are wearing the Praetor Suit. They might be linked, which means Samuel took it for himself so he can use it,