Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Eternal is a game, that exists

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the city in the teaser or on the artwork found on the official site (check out this thread for the clean version) really doesn't seem to match the technological level seen in DOOM4.

I know that you can make arguments that maybe not all Earth is high tech or maybe that's an older part of the city or something. But just look at it. Check out the cars for instance. Those are not some fancy cars you'd expect from 2100s but regular cars you'd find today. You can even see a modern day tank there on the right. The traffic lights also don't look out of the ordinary.

I honestly expected more cyberpunk style cities in whatever year is in DOOM4 but this, even though it's destroyed and ruined, doesn't look futuristic at all. It's all contemporary. You'd think that unlimited power provided by the Argent Tower would allow them to advance their Earth technology further than that.

So yeah, just an observation. Somehow I'm expecting some kind of time-traveling to be involved or just garbage multiverse plot where we visit a different Earth invaded long ago or something.

If you want to see some real tech, check out some the MP maps.  UAC apparently has massive star ships that can travel outside our solar system.  Is that real lore?  I would say so.  So maybe Earth is a shit hole reserved for poor the less privileged while the powerful have colonies in other places.

41 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the city in the teaser or on the artwork found on the official site (check out this thread for the clean version) really doesn't seem to match the technological level seen in DOOM4.

I know that you can make arguments that maybe not all Earth is high tech or maybe that's an older part of the city or something. But just look at it. Check out the cars for instance. Those are not some fancy cars you'd expect from 2100s but regular cars you'd find today. You can even see a modern day tank there on the right. The traffic lights also don't look out of the ordinary.

I honestly expected more cyberpunk style cities in whatever year is in DOOM4 but this, even though it's destroyed and ruined, doesn't look futuristic at all. It's all contemporary. You'd think that unlimited power provided by the Argent Tower would allow them to advance their Earth technology further than that.

So yeah, just an observation. Somehow I'm expecting some kind of time-traveling to be involved or just garbage multiverse plot where we visit a different Earth invaded long ago or something.

I didn't notice that, but I'm kinda disappointed. It looks worst than Halo.

Everything is literally destroyed. Can't even tell if its futuristic or not because it just looks like hell...

6 hours ago, Touchdown said:

From the info that's been given, it sounds like this is a direct sequel to the last game, so I don't see any of these possibilities being likely.

That being said, exploring earth opens the game and Doom universe up to all kinds of possibilities that they never really had staying on Mars. Imagine all the backstory and cultural aspects they could explore in a 22nd century earth, even if it's been destroyed. That's something that they've never had much of an opportunity to do in the Doom franchise.

Based on what’s been observed in the version of Earth shown in the teaser, I have two (even three) possible theories:

1. The game description mentions traveling across dimensions (not necessarily across time). This could imply that the Earth that was invaded was actually a version of modern-day or near-future Earth that never had the Doomslayer to begin with, and was merely swept away by Hell’s forces. 

2. This is in fact the Earth that belongs in the Doom 2016 timeline, and this version of Earth is something akin to Blade Runner or Elysium where the bottom 99% are basically left to rot on a dying and overcrowded planet while the more futuristic stuff and cities are basically on off-world colonies, hence why everything doesn’t look quite cyberpunk amidst the rubble. I do remember reading in the Codex that Earth in this timeline is not only energy-starved before Argent energy, but has a severe overpopulation problem. 

3. A more out-there version of theory #1 where this version of Earth happens to be the same Earth Ranger hails from. I didn’t think of it either at first, but the helmet shape on the marine corpses does appear to check out:

https://tmblr.co/ZFXJzw2Z3iPJN

10 hours ago, Zemini said:

If you want to see some real tech, check out some the MP maps.  UAC apparently has massive star ships that can travel outside our solar system.  Is that real lore?  I would say so.  So maybe Earth is a shit hole reserved for poor the less privileged while the powerful have colonies in other places.

Yup, there's some cool stuff in MP maps actually. Not sure about it being canon, though. I generally consider MP stuff like Quake Champions to be separate from the main franchises.

3 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

From the info that's been given, it sounds like this is a direct sequel to the last game, so I don't see any of these possibilities being likely.

That being said, exploring earth opens the game and Doom universe up to all kinds of possibilities that they never really had staying on Mars. Imagine all the backstory and cultural aspects they could explore in a 22nd century earth, even if it's been destroyed. That's something that they've never had much of an opportunity to do in the Doom franchise.

DE being a direct sequel means little if multiverse is involved. Like Man of Doom has mentioned, the official description states fighting across dimensions which MIGHT hint at that (unfortunately, because I hate multiverse stories). I just can't otherwise imagine why would there be 21st century vehicles all around if that indeed was the future with off-world stations, cybernetic enhancements and super powerful AIs.

But yeah, I'm very much looking forward to the backstory.

I would assume the 'fighting across dimensions' simply refers to going to hell and back, as it has with other Doom games. Even in Doom 2016, there's Hayden's line where he describes you as 'the only flesh and blood to walk between dimensions'.

13 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Everything is literally destroyed. Can't even tell if its futuristic or not because it just looks like hell...

Same, I wasn't able to tell there were buildings on the Background at first. I hope It's not just a Hellish landscape with some random buildings thrown in a nonsensical way.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Same, I wasn't able to tell there were buildings on the Background at first. I hope It's not just a Hellish landscape with some random buildings thrown in a nonsensical way.

mabey it becomes more "Hellish" later in the game. interesting to see if its like in the trailer throughout the entire game or not.

I'd like to think that there's still remnants of really old tech along with cyber-punk futuristic tech in the Doom universe. After all, you have an antique double-barreled shotgun and a chainsaw among your arsenal.

A Doom universe city could consist of areas with centuries-old buildings and even cars based on +100 year-old models.

I would hope that there are remnants of fancy futuristic stuff as well though (would be boring if this were exclusively military or research tech).

57 minutes ago, DestroyerNori13 said:

mabey it becomes more "Hellish" later in the game. interesting to see if its like in the trailer throughout the entire game or not.

Likely not, we need some variety.

Well, the super shotgun in the trailer looked modernized, it gave me slight q2 and q3a vibes. Also, great to see Daisy is back :D

Here's something that I don't think anyone has mentioned or noticed. It looks like DOOM Eternal will run on a new engine, id Tech 7. Here's a short video from April 2017 in which Robert Duffy confirms that they are working on a new iteration of id Tech:

Also Billy Khan, Lead Engine Programmer at id has #DOOMEternal #idTech7 in his bio.

I wonder what improvements they are going to make.

Also, Id Tech 6 was a very good engine and I was very surprised Bethesda didn't use it for more games than just Wolf.

6 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Also, Id Tech 6 was a very good engine and I was very surprised Bethesda didn't use it for more games than just Wolf.

I don't know but I'm starting to get the feeling that Id Tech is on the way out. Rage 2 is on the Apex Engine, Quake Champions runs on a hybrid with Saber Tech and we have no idea what Young Blood is going to be on. It doesn't seem like other Bethesda games use it either.

8 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I don't know but I'm starting to get the feeling that Id Tech is on the way out. Rage 2 is on the Apex Engine, Quake Champions runs on a hybrid with Saber Tech and we have no idea what Young Blood is going to be on. It doesn't seem like other Bethesda games use it either.

Anything not made by Id software won't use Id Tech.

28 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Anything not made by Id software won't use Id Tech.

Wolfenstein NWO and Wolfenstein TNC used id Tech 5 and id Tech 6, respectively.

The Evil Within used id tech 5, and its sequel supposedly uses bits of id tech on a custom engine

4 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Wolfenstein NWO and Wolfenstein TNC used id Tech 5 and id Tech 6, respectively.

Forgot that, thanks.

13 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Why? It's a great engine.

I don't know, but I also doubt id Tech is on its final road into the grave, what would be the point of developing a new iteration of the engine then.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:25 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

Id Tech is on the way out. Rage 2 is on the Apex Engine, Quake Champions runs on a hybrid with Saber Tech

that because they're pushing id tech to specialize on mostly singleplayer experiences. rage 2 is running on apex because of how well it allows open world with actually vast enviroments I assume. Quake Champions is kinda self explainatory. id tech isn't dieing, but being specialized.

12 hours ago, MrGlide said:

that because they're pushing id tech to specialize on mostly singleplayer experiences. 

idtech currently  doesn't get the love it deserves. Wolfenstein TNO had some visual weaknesses, but in TOB idtech finally delivered sharp textures. TNO is a technical masterpiece: Uber fast loading times, texture and lighting quality are very good and the engine still runs at an unbelievable high framerate given it's astonishing visual quality. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:25 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

The hybrid engine used for Quake Champions was horrid during the betas.  Id had to send programmers to fix the net code, and it's still way below the level of Q3A's net code and Q3A is a 18 year old game.  I don't understand Id's line of thinking when they choose to use console developers for Doom's MP component and QC.  Especially QC, you can't have a Quake with trash net code.

If you play Doom '16 MP then play Quake Champions, Quake Champions still doesn't feel 'right.'  They should've at least used their own engine.  Mixing two engines doesn't even seem like a good idea to begin with, anyway.

It's certainly true that id Tech isn't licensed the way it was in the 90's. 5 or 6 games used id Tech 4, and fewer used id Tech 5 & 6. Though I'm sure this has more to do with Bethesda, as I remember them saying years back that id engines would no longer be licensed to third party developers (i.e. the game had to be published by Bethesda to use id Tech.)

I think a lot of people today seem to be under the impression that a game engine is something that can only be made by Carmack and 3 other guys - and the more games use this engine, the better the engine. Like they're some sort of sacred, mystical and magical piece of technology dreamt up by only the best of the best computer scientists. Yes, the technology that goes into a game engine gets really complicated in many places and there is a fuckload of problems and caveats no matter which road you pursue. That said, information, research, tools, knowledge and experience is SO much more accessible today and there are much more different viable paths you can go with an engine and sacrifice a little performance for features, development speed or anything else you have in mind.

Id Tech 6 was built and optimized for Doom 2016. It isn't a general purpose engine and that allows for a much more narrow focus. It does what it does extremely well. RAGE 2 is a completely different beast and uses an engine that was most likely built for that sort of game.