Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

We got the demons!

Eh, I doubt licensing should be an issue considering Bethesda owns both studios. Crossovers and Easter eggs between games from the same publisher are fairly common. Just look at Cities: Skylines which has a radio station that plays music from about a dozen different Paradox games by almost as many studios. Machine Games wouldn't have to do any work if the Id guys were willing to make such content.

I'm expected Icon of Sin to be the final boss but hopefully a challenge now that mouselook can't easily cheat. I am hoping the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind do not reappear. I loved them but I always got the feeling they were supposed to be one-off.

As for regular enemies, I do not want hitscan enemies to return. I also want to see some entirely new ones.

I believe that the worms could be the thrashing limbs of the Icon of Sin. I believe that the end text in Doom 2 talked about how the thrashing limbs of the biggest demon you have ever seen devastated untold miles of hell once you pumped its brain with rockets.

31 minutes ago, doom_is_great said:

I believe that the worms could be the thrashing limbs of the Icon of Sin. I believe that the end text in Doom 2 talked about how the thrashing limbs of the biggest demon you have ever seen devastated untold miles of hell once you pumped its brain with rockets.

Not going to lie, that'd be pretty lore-tastic. 

4 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I am hoping the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind do not reappear. 

I think a play on 'Gotcha!' could be fun though :)

16 hours ago, Zemini said:

Corpses staying would be nice but what happens when you have dozens of dead demons in a narrow corridor?  Punch your way through them?  Actually that might be fun.

One word: chainsaw.

15 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I am hoping the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind do not reappear. I loved them but I always got the feeling they were supposed to be one-off.

I agree that I don't want the Boss enemies from the first game to reappear (OG Doom 2 kinda devalued them), but I wouldn't mind a lesser form of the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind, though of course, the Baron of Hell sports a pair of wrist blades (akin to the one the Doom 2016 Cybie has) and I've long been thinking that the new BoH design is partially based off the old Cyberdemon, so it could certainly work as a semi-reinterpretation of the old Doom 2 Cybies and the Arachnotrons might as well be the semi-reinterpretation of the Doom 2 SM, especially considering that the Doom 2016 SM fired plasma bolts at the player.

I actually want to see Balgar (cyberdemon) and Masterminds as normal enemies.  It was a theme in Classic so it would be welcome in the new Doom.  I also hope they can be used in SnapMap or whatever new map maker we may be getting.

Edited by Zemini

I remember seeing the cyberdemon in what looked like regular maps in a magazine ad before the release. Wonder if maybe that's something they had planned originally and maybe cut out? Who knows. It would be cool to have them become a bit more of a common appearance this time around like in Doom 2.

Edit: This is it, but now that I see it again it's probably just a promotional thing.

doominformer.jpg

One of my favorite screen shots.  I really wish they kept in the older imps as a lesser variant or something.

You actually do fight a cyberdemon in one of the classic levels.  However, he is dumbed down and only acts like the classic one - by just firing rocket after rocket after rocket ect. 

Ah ok cool. That would be nice in the next game imo. In Doom VFR it's similar to what you describe too which was a very fun battle. We'll see more soon enough :)

Absolutely loving that design, it's sure to please the audience that wants straight-up HD renditions of the classic sprites. I would have it in a dark yellow-ish shade but that's just me, it's fine the way it is.

Here's another picture, intentionally re-hosted for archiving purposes (click to see the bigger ver.)

MAAyo4sm.jpg

I hope they make the cyberdemon similar to his classic appearance instead of a moose.  And make him clop through levels.  It'd be awesome to be terrified of the Cyberdemon like in the 90s, instead of a lame arena battle.  And hopefully they have enough time to make the maps more non-linear.

Those footsteps made you stop before entering rooms.

Edited by Flesh420

I would love to see the cyberdemon as a recurring "elite" enemy. I don't think story wise another SMM would make sense, we'll see something new from the hell worms. But with a roster of 40, it's sounding good.

It's really really cool but slightly overdesigned. The silhouette is spot on but I would prefer it if the skin was a bit smoother and simpler, like the 2016 version of the Imp. It doesn't egg me as much as the Cyberdemon or Pinky from 2016 though. I think it bothers me because it's almost perfect.

Hopefully they make some content to honor the legacy that Plutonia and TNT have set.

More than 20 years later people still enjoy Final Doom content. That would be cool.

I am guessing it is the new Hellslime that we saw in D3.  The MP map Outbreak has a lot of this hellslime if you wanted to check it out on Practice mode. 

44 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I am guessing it is the new Hellslime that we saw in D3.  The MP map Outbreak has a lot of this hellslime if you wanted to check it out on Practice mode. 

There's a couple of maps in 2016 that have slime(even some SnapMap modules).

On 6/12/2018 at 6:37 PM, IMX said:

Absolutely loving that design, it's sure to please the audience that wants straight-up HD renditions of the classic sprites. I would have it in a dark yellow-ish shade but that's just me, it's fine the way it is.

According to the teaser, that dark yellowish color scheme may be the coloring of the Arch-Vile. That was just the lighting at the event. 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, ATP2555 said:

There's a couple of maps in 2016 that have slime(even some SnapMap modules).

That is true, but you really get a ton in Qutbreak.  Such a beautiful map.  In fact most of the MP maps are beautiful and it is a shame if they don't use them either as arcade coop levels and/or as Snapmap modules.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:48 AM, NightmareMan said:

I also wish they bring back Nightmare Imps or create something using that style.

The beefed up Imp designs in the trailer might be faster and stronger so basically like Nightmare Imps. If I were to guess what a Nightmare Imp would look like they'd probably be super beefy spikier Purple Imps with glowing inners, UAC modified CyberImps, or generic Spectre Imps.

Edited by DepravedDiptera : Forgot some words like an idiot.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:51 AM, Man of Doom said:

A thought just occurred to me:

Since the Arch-Vile is properly back, then that means no more disappearing corpses?

I know id Tech 6 still has its limitations, but the Doom 3 Arch-Vile acted much closer to the Summoner in terms of behavior than it did the classic Vile.

Plus, I’m guessing they had intended to leave in lasting corpses as an option (most likely for PC) but they ran out of time and couldn’t do anything. 

mabey the corpses will stay and we will get to upgrade how fast they disappear.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:04 AM, ATP2555 said:

They should give the Hell Knight his ability to throw fireballs back.

Why?

Making the HK a weaker, but otherwise identical Baron of Hell would be unbelievably boring and uninspired. It's more fun when it's reinterpreted as a more agile Pinky with the ability to generate an energy-based shockwave by pounding the ground with it fists; gives it a more unique personality, but still keeps the implied 'lore' kinship with the Baron.

Besides, we already have a bajillion other projectile-shooting enemies in NU-Doom. How many more do you want?

23 minutes ago, dsm said:

Why?

Making the HK a weaker, but otherwise identical Baron of Hell would be unbelievably boring and uninspired. It's more fun when it's reinterpreted as a more agile Pinky with the ability to generate an energy-based shockwave by pounding the ground with it fists

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of the physical aspect doesn't the HK already share the same abilities with the Baron in D2016?

I'd like to see their projectile attack return as well.