Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

30 minutes ago, chubz said:

What it absolutely needs is larger, more complex levels with truly challenging keycard hunts.  Now that they're doing "Hell on Earth," this is the perfect opportunity to open up the levels big time and get away from the straight-forward chain of arena battles that DOOM '16's later levels devolved into.  I would also like to see more interactivity in the form of switches, lifts, elevators, etc.

Not sure they need to be more challenging than what you see in RES Ops, Foundry or Argent Facility. The original levels were not THAT complicated. User maps sure but not the original Id maps.

14 minutes ago, Quadrops said:

Plutonia style brown jungle maps and bunny hopping. The rest is already mentioned.

In Doom? Why? That's a Quake thing.

11 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

In Doom? Why? That's a Quake thing.

A subtle feature for skillful players. Unlike glory kills, it won't be explicit and hampering, right?

26 minutes ago, Quadrops said:

A subtle feature for skillful players. Unlike glory kills, it won't be explicit and hampering, right?

But bunny hopping is a Quake thing.

Multiplayer

1. Remove weapon loadouts: I want this doom to have weapon spawns across the map so we can get back to good old arena style multiplayer.
  2. Add music: I personally would love it if we had awesome soundtracks playing during matches to make the game more fun, and ridiculously action packed.
  3. Increase Speed: Not a huge boost in speed, but just a little bit faster than doom(2016).
  4. Clan system: add an in game clan function to help build competitive gameplay.
  5. Heavier Announcer: I want an announcer with a grizzly, booming voice to help players get hyped when playing multiplayer.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

A 4 player coop horde mode would be amazing.

I can only imagine! Should the waves be endless with enemies increasing in just health over time or should the mode have an ending with enemies increasing in damage and health over time?

Just now, MrInternational said:

I can only imagine! Should the waves be endless with enemies increasing in just health over time or should the mode have an ending with enemies increasing in damage and health over time?

Enemy health should stay the same. Only the numbers should increase.

Basically Stronghold for Doom Eternal. That would be beyond amazing.

13 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

A 4 player coop horde mode would be amazing.

Yes, yes, YES.

1 hour ago, dmg_64 said:

Ew, Bunny hopping.

Yeah, get that crap outta here.

A more varied level design philosophy than Linear Area > Arena > Linear Area > Arena. I'll be stupidly happy if more levels are like Foundry, and not Argent Facility Energy Tower. 

Edited by Mr. Freeze

7 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

A more varied level design philosophy than Linear Area > Arena > Linear Area > Arena. I'll be stupidly happy if more levels are like Foundry, and not Argent Facility. 

Argent Facility is actually more open than Foundry. Maybe you confused it with another level.

1 minute ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I must've meant Argent Energy Tower. It's been a while. 

I think that had the good kind of linearity. Plus, it still has plenty of exploration and side areas.

For me the game goes downhill beginning with Lazarus.

Hitscanners and better level design (with actual no-linearity instead of arena layouts).

Never gonna happen.

Hitscanners are actually very important to control the flow of bigger fights. With no hitscanners the player can just run around the area however they please; hitscanners force the player to think more strategically about positioning and movement.

2 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Hitscanners are actually very important to control the flow of bigger fights. With no hitscanners the player can just run around the area however they please; hitscanners force the player to think more strategically about positioning and movement.

Generally true, considering that their damage cannot be avoided unless you hide behind something solid. But yeah, they're still annoying to deal with sometimes, especially when used excessively.

However, I wouldn't go as far as to say the player can do whatever he wants without them around. Strategically placed monsters are always a force to be reckoned with.

I might have exaggerated a bit, but my point is that hitscanners play an important role in shaping encounters just like projectile or meelee enemies. They pose a unique threat that can't be avoided by just sidestepping or going fast. Hitscanners are however, very easily misused, so they must be incorporated with some caution.

Not an improvement, but I just remembered something: Doom 2016 had the Soul Cube from Doom 3 as an easter egg somewhere.

I wonder if it was merely an easter egg or it was foreshadowing its return as an actual weapon the player can finally use in Eternal, and if so, how will it fit in the game.

Edited by Agent6

7 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Hitscanners are awesome

I love getting killed in mere seconds when I'm taken by surprise by a group xdd. Mmmmm, delicious pain, almost instant death.

1 minute ago, Agent6 said:

I love getting killed in mere seconds when I'm taken by surprise by a group xdd. Mmmmm, delicious pain, almost instant death.

It'll probably need more Chaingunners to fix that

7 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

That only happens if the mapper is shit.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but I want:

• A return to the glory kill mechanic, but toned down.

• More non-linear levels that encourage exploration and, in the vain of the original games, forces you to use visual and logical queues to navigate and find secrets.

• Non-city levels set on Earth, in particular, some greenery such as forests or parks. Locations that fit the game's universe but haven't been tapped into.

• A more robust SnapMap. I'm feeling doubtful about a full-on editor being available, but at the very least, I would like to see players able to mix and match elements to make their own textures and assets, and to be able to form simple but effective architecture instead of relying on the blocking volumes.

• A more engaging story. id has admitted that the story was kinda phoned in and it shows. It's a bit loose and I find myself losing interest quickly. I'd like to see something a bit more coherent.

• Brand new enemies and weapons, maybe a new power-up as well.

• A darker overall aesthetic. Doom '16 can sometimes look cartoony and the horror aspect is reeled in. I want to see a darker, scarier Doom, ala Doom 64/PSX Doom, Doom 3 and the recently released concept art from the early iteration of Doom '16.

>replace snapmap with either a vector or brush-based level editor (not doom builder, but something allowing *architecture*)
>more monsters + infighting management as a (bigger?) gameplay mechanic
>more interesting/surreal hell
>either good multiplayer, or simply ditch it.

>better powerups

>singleplayer/co-op DLC, like *level packs* (that does not make up for a shortened SP campaign).

> Balanced Gauss Cannon (that can't gib a Baron in two shots)
> Balanced Gauss Cannon

> Balanced Gauss Cannon

> Balanced Gauss Cannon

> I don't know, maybe the occasional new gun or something
> Bigger levels
> Balanced Gauss Cannon
> Arachnotrons
> Chaingun without the dumb spin up time
> Combat Shotgun that actually does damage
> Balanced Gauss Cannon
> Insane new bosses
> Icon of Sin
> Balanced Gauss Cannon
> More Cyberdemons
> More Spiderdemons
> Balanced Gauss Cannon
> Did I mention a balanced Gauss Cannon?

2 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

> Balanced Gauss Cannon (that can't gib a Baron in two shots)
> Balanced Gauss Cannon

> Balanced Gauss Cannon

[cut the rest]

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

> Grenades that sound like grenades

> Rockets that sound like rockets
> Balanced Gauss Cannon

Improvements? I think you mean deprovements... I can imagine their research department "people didn't understand SnapMap!" "People didn't understand 3D environments" "People said Doom 4 is 10 / 10 unless compared to Doom 2, then its 2/10!" "People liked the retro maps over the new maps!" "Christians weren't offended enough!" "A double jump? That ain't Doom!"

Ideas people?

Lets have maps that don't go on top of one another! Let's make the textures pixelated for more of the game! Penis worms from Satan! Only a single jump!