Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

Remove glory kills - or at least get rid of their dependence.  I would also suggest having the option to remove the invulnerable staggering.

Well, we've been through that already a couple of times and I guess the same hopes and wishes remain:

* More levels like the Foundry or Argent Facility (exploration based stuff)

* Darker atmosphere, more horror, less action, like in other DOOM games

* Way, WAAAAY more variety of combat encounters

* Hell that's actually hellish. In fact, Hell on Earth in the teaser is A LOT more hellish than anything in DOOM4 sooo... here's hoping

* Better bull demon design, better Cyberdemon design. Change all the cartoony aspects of other monsters

Also, I don't care for the modding capabilities whatsoever.

13 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

- Since it's an Earth setting, it's obviously going to have bigger maps than 2016, and I really hope the player will move fast, maybe ditch that Speed power-up and make it the regular player speed.
- Weapons that are already useful without requiring upgrades (looking at you Chaingun and Shotgun)
- More than 20 shells starting limit.

I disagree. Chaingun is garbage without the Mobile Turret mode and Shotgun with an Explosive Shell is a game changer. Also, strongly disagree on the ammo limit. That's one of the things I really liked, that you couldn't just hold 50 shells right off the bat. Max ammo capacity is very important, that's why Backpack in the original games changes so much. Raising the starting limit would only make the ammo management worse, in my opinion.

I expect more Classic Doom demons that weren't in Doom 2016, since three of 'em appeared in the teaser.

Now, what I hope is that these returning classic Demons are well-designed to be fun (the Arachnotron certainly looks good). I'm also joining the choir of "we want more open level design a la Foundry and Argent Facility" as well as "Less arenas (or less obvious ones at that)".

I'm hoping for better upgrade challenges, i.e. Rune Trials that are less trial-and-error and more skill-based, challenges that don't interfere too much with your combat performance.

Better damage feedback - at times, you can go through a fight and not notice that you get hit. The game needs a more distinctive "You take damage!" sound as well better visual feedback.

Better difficulty scaling - Doom 2016 tends to feel overly challenging early on, but gets almost easy as you unlock upgrades. I don't mind the game being challenging early on (works well to "wake you up"), but it could do with smoothing it out a little better.

Improved Hell levels - I like the Doom 2016 Hell levels a lot, but I feel that if they had included any more Hell levels with the same "rock-cave/rock-ruin" theme, it would have become really repetitive eventually and I want Hell to be awesome and varied, because it can be done (especially since Doom 2016's Hell is supposedly made up of fragments from multiple destroyed realms). The techbase themes fared better because they appeared to be constructed out of many different types of metal alloys of varying degrees of wear-and-tear. Hell needs a little something to spice it up with (of course, those ruined skyscrapers in the teaser certainly help).

Hum, I dunno, maybe better difficulty scaling in the monster designs. Some lower-tier enemies seem far more dangerous compared to some higher-tier enemies, especially late game when your weapons are upgraded and can brush aside tankier enemies, while the smaller, faster enemies are still challenging to both hit and avoid taking damage from.

The Plasma Rifle's primary fire needs some upgrade love - late game, I only ever use it while I wait for the Heat Blast mod cooldown to finish. That is assuming that Doom Eternal will even have a Plasma Rifle.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

I disagree. Chaingun is garbage without the Mobile Turret mode and Shotgun with an Explosive Shell is a game changer.

Thats what he's saying, that chaingun and shotgun are shit without mods. I personally disagree with the shotgun being shit but thats only if you're cancleing with it none stop. I also agree with the ammo being limited, especially on hard difficulties. I feel that limiting ammo is so important to doom, because weapon roles and prioritization create a beautiful active thinking layer to the game. 

reload cancel/ quick switch, oh dear lord I hope that returns. Was a very fun and interesting tactical peice of the game, even if it might not have been there on purpose. It's kinda like strafe jumping, it's very strong, but also very satisfying once gotten down properly.

Bigger guns, bigger demons, bigger hordes, more blood, guts, and gore, option of permanent corpses for PCs that can handle it, better gore effects (including graphical effects and sound effects), more badass soundtracks, bigger levels, more varied levels and battles, not just arena type levels and battles.

In terms of guns, I would love to see an upgrade of the double barrel shotgun to a quad shotgun at some point in the game like the one in Project Brutality, because well, why the hell not? Who wouldn't just love to one shot a hell knight with the quad shotgun and have his entire upper torso just explode into a cloud of blood and gore? This would also allow for more bigger battles with bigger demons since you will have more powerful weapons.

I would like the BFG to be treated like the regular guns with its own mods and everything. Have a weapon mod that allows you to fire a massive beam that you can mow down hordes with. 

Those are just some of my preliminary thoughts. I would also like some levels on the scale of Deus Vult and Alien Vendetta. Just imagine facing off against that many demons in such HUGE sprawling levels in modern graphics.  

11 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Not sure they need to be more challenging than what you see in RES Ops, Foundry or Argent Facility. The original levels were not THAT complicated. User maps sure but not the original Id maps.

Yeah, Foundry and Argent Facility are great examples of what I'm looking for.  If DOOM Eternal were to consist almost entirely of levels like that, I would be one very happy camper.  I'd also like to see some open, Sandy Petersen-esque "sandbox" levels that harken back to Mt. Erebus and Downtown.

Something I've noticed in the trailer is that there were a few Imps standing idle with idle animations. Maybe this is a sign that it won't be all spawn in and lock down arenas? Please?

I think it would be cool if they simplified the AI a bit in order to have the player fighting more monsters at a time.

Also, more open maps where monsters roam around or try to follow you. Though, that would probably somehow go against the push-forward combat philosophy.

Obviously ID woudlnl't be able to do all of these.  However if I were the creative director:

Gameplay

Demon Variants:  Among the normal monsters; there should also be champion, cyber and/or elite versions.  They can be slightly larger with a different skin/attack.  They will stand out among a group of the same monsters acting as a commander or champion.

Randomized encounters:  Each play though is different - which can be greatly enhanced with demon variants.  Think of the fun one could get on Ultra-Nightmare and speed runs.

Difficulty:  Harder difficulties means harder/more monsters and variants (not just harder hitting monsters).  This could also be put into DOOM 2016.

Blood Color:  Caco = blue, Nobles = Green!!!!  It is demon science!

Glory Kills:  Optional.  And the ability to remove the invulnerable staggering of enemies.

Prowler and Harvester Demons in the campaign/SnapMap!

Multiplayer

Update existing MP for Doom Eternal.

Coop Arcade mode for MP maps.

True Deathmatch with pick ups.

Lobbies and chat rooms.  A place to show off armors and achievements.

SnapMap

Updating existing SnapMap with Doom Eternal Assets

Modding?

Demon skins have customization like MP Armors

A true map editor used for creating and uploading of prefabs

Editing MP Maps within snap map.

Campaign broken up in to prefabs that can be used

ALL FUCKING DEMONS CAN BE USED!!!

Campaign

Long campaign.  I would hope for at least 25 levels.

Rebrand Hell Guard.  It sucks, please fix him or make him more Doom like.

New game plus mode of some sort.

If there is Singleplayer DLC;  I would like the return of Phobos and Deimos as episodic campaigns.

Technical

PC first, then optimize for consoles later.

Gore system for monsters

Update Doom 2016 with improvements made in Doom Eternal.  Could be a pre release patch.

Edited by Zemini

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Demon Variants:  Among the normal monsters; there should also be champion, cyber and/or elite versions.  They can be slightly larger with a different skin/attack.  They will stand out among a group of the same monsters acting as a commander or champion.

Randomized encounters:  Each play though is different - which can be greatly enhanced with demon variants.  Think of the fun one could get on Ultra-Nightmare and speed runs.

I like the cut of your gibs.

Snapmap needs to be less limited, allowing full control over the structures, maybe with prefabs that can be altered in any way or external media to be allowed from thumb drives on consoles and also pc of course. That includes music. lets stick to the classics even more!

I'm hoping for the ability to actually mod the game. Oh and for multiplayer that isn't shit.

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Definitely. I am not expecting something capable of doing TC's, but at least something that allows us to freely draw room forms and make outdoor areas, and allow to interconect maps as custom campaigns.

Oh umm yeah it has been already done. It's called Map Editor from Timesplitters.

Anyway, no glory kills I hope.

I actually liked the glory kills. I just want don't to be absolutely necessary all the time. Just some of the time or have them be optional according to the player's play style.

40 minutes ago, doom_is_great said:

I actually liked the glory kills. I just want don't to be absolutely necessary all the time. Just some of the time or have them be optional according to the player's play style.

But...they...already are...?

Glory kills arn't mandatory. on harder difficulties they can get you killed. If I remember correctly a headshot would net you close if not the same resources as a Glory Kill.

I at least just want the zombies and whatnot to look more like humans, for christsake. Maybe give them bullet weapons, too. Hell, just make them zombified soldiers, like the old games without all the melting-into-armor stuff going on.

Also none of those bullshit shield guys.

Remove the almost full-on necessity for glory-kills (or whatever the overly dramatic kill animations are called), Remove the argent cells mechanic (Since when did doom need the ability to upgrade guns? Just grab your chaingun and go to town on those imps!) And make the shotgun a Short-mid range gun, not an extremely short-ranged gun. (Din't work in DooM 3, doesn't work in DooM 4). Oh and allow me to pop a cap into the Pinky Demon's head rather than having me to shove it up it's arse every time I want to kill them. It's a pinky! They're notorious for their big mouths!

3 minutes ago, Archvile Hunter said:

lol, what's wrong with the shield guys?

They take too much of my ammo and/or effort when using any sort of explosive isn't the most convenient or effective thing to do. Especially early game.

16 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

But...they...already are...?

Yes and no.  The monsters enter a short invulnerable stagger while they glow for the glory kill.  If they must stagger for the glory kill, then let use just execute the beast with a single shot instead of wasting bullets while it dances.

More exploration based gameplay, not close-ended battles in a big area. An actual classic doom 2 like approach on how the levels play out. And not needing to kill every single enemy in the room before the next one opens. Less anticipated gameplay in general, more open-ended maps allowing multiple ways to tackle the enemies. Add barrels, crushers, nuke pools, other nostalgic things perhaps? 

50% faster base movement speed.

While DOOM16 was faster than contemporary shooters, it still feels a little sluggish compared to the original.

A monster block line equivalent.

Turreted monsters would have increased the tactical variety available to level builders. Sometimes, the freedom of mobility worked against the encounters, such as the Dead Simple remake.

More monsters on screen.

The occasional horde would be nice, though it might require monsters specifically tuned for that kind of combat.

28 minutes ago, BrutalDoomisAwesome said:

Have the monsters Glory Kill each other.

In fighting with Glory Killing would be amazing. Imagine an imp Glory Killing a Baron of Hell.

3 hours ago, Archvile Hunter said:

It's just the same kind of mentality of people who bitch about the old Pain elemental or archvile, if things are considered to hard and people can't find an effective way to deal with it they want it gone. I do worry about that if they gring back the more demanding enemies of doom 2 they'll cut their nuts off like they did with the revenant.

4 hours ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Literally nothing, in fact they're my second favorite enemy aside from the standard possessed soldiers. I'd like to see more possessed variants in Doom Eternal with advanced behaviors like them- hell, even the basic rifleman could use a heavy assault rifle or the ability to throw grenades.

Well I don't know how to use these forums, but I didn't want to reply.  So ugh

The shield guys should be a different color I think.  Feels lazy that they are white.  Blue maybe?