Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

• Upgrades. Just ditch them. Ditch them entirely. I want my set of abilities to be consistent and pure, only to be expanded when I find some new gear over the linear course of the game. When I pick up a new weapon, I want the game to be balanced around the weapon as it is rather than how it might be. I want both alternative fire modes on the new weapons from the get go, and I want to be able to use them simultaneously without any mod switching, and I want to be able to combine alternative fire modes for more possibilities. There's three buttons on my mouse, and each one can be assigned to one fire mode. Hell, with tap/hold inputs you can even crank up the possible attack input methods with the mouse to five, even more if you combine hold inputs on one button and tap inputs on the other.
  • Upgrades alternative. If they're serious about giving the player alternative playstyles to suit their own, then there should be upgrade branches where you'll have to make a permanent decision between one or the other node. You shouldn't be able to have both.
  • Replace Glory Kills with dashing. VFR did this and it worked wonders. Just give me a dash move to avoid enemy attacks, but also let me dash into enemies to stun them. Is an enemy susceptible to a Glory Kill? Just dash right into them and reap the rewards. No Glory Kill animations to let enemies swarm all around you in the meantime, and no pacebreakers, however minor they might be.
  • Functional positional sound design. If you're going to design enemies to be constantly moving outside my field of vision, then it's only fair that I should be able to hear them moving and preparing for attacks around me.
  • An actual semblance of resource management. The game shouldn't be taking care of my ammo and health for me just so I can focus entirely on killing enemies. The Chainsaw shouldn't be a glorified ammo supply drop and Glory Kills shouldn't give you ridiculous amounts of drops if you are low on health too. Glory Kills would be fine if they dropped supplemental amounts of health per kill and only dropped ammo if your health was over 100.
  • Make up your mind on the level design. Either have a constant stream of arenas or more meticulate sprawling levels. You can't have major combat happening only inside arenas within a big level with nothing inbetween the arenas. That makes the exploration boring and the combat predictable.
  • Give me a reason to not use the BFG. The damn thing is too overpowered and ammo for it is way too plentiful. So why shouldn't I press the "I win" button the moment a Baron of Hell shows up?
  • More archipelago-styled arenas. There ought to be more arenas where you're jumping from platform to platform above a hazardous surface, where you're forced to constantly move about because of Mancubi "occupying" islands or Hell Knights chasing you around, with islands giving you little room to strafe about.
  • More dynamic arenas with more environmental hazards. Why not fight on moving platforms, arenas which change when you flick a switch, arenas where the enemies can use their features against you?
  • More boss fights, preferably ones designed to use your ENTIRE arsenal rather than only the Gauss Rifle and Rocket Launcher.
  • More projectile type variety. How about projectiles which you can't strafe around but have to jump over or slide under? How about giving the Revenant his homing missiles back? How about more Hell Guard laser-spin hopscotch, Cyberdemon missile spam, or enemies which can pull you in with a grappling hook?
  • Make the combat shotgun, plasma rifle, pistol, and chaingun actually viable late game, and nerf the Gauss Rifle somewhat to be more ammo-costly.
  • More variety within enemy compositions. A lot of enemy types in D16 were barely utilized and would have made for interesting situation if combined with others.
  • More "mobile archer" types of enemies other than the Imps.

Less loading times, and hopefully SnapMap is merged with Singleplayer this time just like they did for Multiplayer.

After replaying Doom 4 for some time I came up to conclusion that I actually want current system with health and ammo pickups being dropped from dead enemies to be removed. That would be an improvement.

What improvements I would like to see has already been said but I'll contribute.

- Less Arena and more Doom scenarios

- Improved Snapmap functionality and content

- Overall more SP content (that's a given)

- More clarity and direction on story / universe

- Better Multipler

- Better Snapmap navigation with quality maps appearing higher on the list instead of dated maps and point farmers.

I'm happy with and would like to see more glory kills and upgrades. Especially the Mancubus, I'm getting sick of that one.

Edited by Chezza

Less reliance on glory kills for resources, more emphasis on pickups.

Hugo said they are making the Doomslayer even more powerful (although this could just mean new abilities). Well I want him to be less powerful.

Multiplayer: DM, TDM, Coop game like survival: players vs demons, demons vs demons

Dedicated servers, custom servers.

Huge snap map with lots of assets.

Nonvanishing corpses.

I mentioned it over on the ZDoom forums, but there needs to be more obvious grunts of pain, both from monsters and the marine. I want more spidery sounding music (I suggested The Living End as being preferable for this) and I'm sick of the constant bottomless pit deaths. Edit: Use nukage and lava flows instead.

Edited by Space Marinara

Since you asked what improvements we expect, not what improvements we wish: I don't expect substancial improvements. Since Doom 2016 was exactly what the majority of players probably wanted, I guess id Software will just repeat the design and maybe add a few extras here and there.

A cooperative campaign, or the main one playable with other marines is the number one thing I'd want. And along with that: Cooperative glory kills.

Other than that, maybe a bit more open level design (though Argent Station and Foundry are perfect examples of what can be achieved); Most levels felt straightforward to me, so a bit more open environments would be welcome.

Make a co op campaign along with the single player.

Take away the multiplayer, if we want that we can go play quake 3.

Bring back Ultra Nightmare. 

Put in a setting that allows us to choose if we want health/armor and ammo in a more central position on the bottom of the screen, switched from left to right, or possibly both on same side.

More game save slots.

Fix the sounds for units.  For example when there is only 1 possessed or 10 it always sounds like there are 10.

Add in a sound interface selection option.  Not a big deal but having to close out of the game and reopen it every time I forget to manually switch from headset to speakers is bleh.  Most games I play have in game options to select what device I prefer to use.

Edited by Pre

2 hours ago, Pre said:

Take away the multiplayer,

Then ignore it? Doom 16's mp was nothing like quake 3, and not to mention most arena shooters are dead as fuck. I personally had a lot of fun with D16's Multiplayer as it was mostly well done as long as you didn't have this mandatory expectation that was going to be quake. I think new doom's mp and quake should be separate things. Why have two games occupying basically the exact same game overall? I said it before, but if they even make MP for the new game, I hope they take what was worked on before and improve it. Hell, I honestly like D16's mp much more than Quake Champions. It was just more fun to me.

Less arena fights, put more of an emphasis on environmental exploration. I'm not asking for Fallout The Hell Edition but it should match Doom 2 levels in that regard, maybe on a somewhat bigger scale. Expanding on Snapmap would also be good.

Since it's essentially Doom II, I wonder if they'll include a cameo secret map. It doesn't have to be Wolfenstein 3D, it could easily be something like Quake.

- 4-player campaign coop where progress can be saved, similar to Shadow Warrior 2.

- Remove the cumbersome weapon grinding and hide the upgrades in secrets instead. Or remove the upgrades altogether.

- Classic secrets. Shootable walls that reveal secrets and connect to previous areas. Misaligned walls and timed switches.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Remove the almost full-on necessity for glory-kills (or whatever the overly dramatic kill animations are called), Remove the argent cells mechanic (Since when did doom need the ability to upgrade guns? Just grab your chaingun and go to town on those imps!) And make the shotgun a Short-mid range gun, not an extremely short-ranged gun. (Din't work in DooM 3, doesn't work in DooM 4). Oh and allow me to pop a cap into the Pinky Demon's head rather than having me to shove it up it's arse every time I want to kill them. It's a pinky! They're notorious for their big mouths!

Yes the pinkies need to be like on the older Doom games. they need to remove the armor from the front of the pinky. that way you could fight like 10 of them at once. you couldn't do that in Doom 2016. 

I hope that the lost souls are a bit bigger and don explode when the hit you. 

more Hellish looking environments like in Doom 1 and 2. like the flesh and spine looking walls and stuff like that. like play Doom 2 map 28. you'll know what I mean. 

Bring back the fists as a weapon. Also the berserk pack. 

Don't make glory kills so easy to do. make them more earned. You shouldn't be able to just shoot a monster a few times to earn the glory kill stagger animation.

More stuff like elevators and switches.

This one might sound a bit outdated but it would be cool to have those text screens between every 5 or so levels and before a boss level or a secret level (if we get them).

Like i mentioned above. Secret levels.

hitscanners. They need to return.

Cyberdemons and Masterminds to be non boss encounters like regular enemies.

The music needs a bit of an improvement. While i loved the Doom 2016 soundtrack, I think they need to add more scary/frightening sounding music. A little less of the fast paced music. more serious/evil music.

2 hours ago, DestroyerNori13 said:

The music needs a bit of an improvement. While i loved the Doom 2016 soundtrack, I think they need to add more scary/frightening sounding music. A little less of the fast paced music. more serious/evil music.

Just an extra spot of trivia:

There was actually music that was in the official soundtrack release that wasn’t actually heard in-game (“Impure Spectrum,” “Residual,” and “The Stench” are just a few examples).

Those have more horror-style music, with the last example in particular having a particularly nasty jump scare. 

14 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Then ignore it? Doom 16's mp was nothing like quake 3, and not to mention most arena shooters are dead as fuck. I personally had a lot of fun with D16's Multiplayer as it was mostly well done as long as you didn't have this mandatory expectation that was going to be quake. I think new doom's mp and quake should be separate things. Why have two games occupying basically the exact same game overall? I said it before, but if they even make MP for the new game, I hope they take what was worked on before and improve it. Hell, I honestly like D16's mp much more than Quake Champions. It was just more fun to me.

The multiplayer could also be considered 2 games occupying the same game overall?  I just like having a game I can play co op with my friends instead of them watching me play it.  For instance, even now the ultra nightmare on Doom 2016 all you need to do is just allow a co op setting where another player can join in if they want and it would be perfect.  Sure it would take away the challenge in some ways but add in friendly fire to that and you have basically evened out the game.  So really all that needs to be done is add in a second player to the current game for nightmare or ultra nightmare only.  2 players with the same map, meaning you have to share ammo and watch out for friendly fire, and if one of you die both of you have to start over.

You say it like co op is something that can't be done because it would take too much time when it's been a part of console games since nintendo or possibly earlier and has been apart of many PC games since dial up.  But Doom has been one of those games that only had co op with mod maps.  It's something we should expect for a 60 dollar game.  And if we have to trade multiplayer for co op then I'm down since I hate multiplayer to begin with since hacking is so prevalent.

Edited by Pre

Funny how so many people want executions gone considering it's one of the aspects that makes combat in DOOM4 work so well in the first place.

21 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

That sounds too limited, at least 8 players max for Co-op would be better.

I would personally never get 7 other people to play this at one time without the problem of actually getting them in a game, and not having someone screw around.  Sounds like multiplayer to me.

Sounds like such a thing would be an absolute nightmare for consoles. id Software isn't just making this for high end PC's but for consoles as well. If you've got 8 different players on top of Single-Player, then that could heavily burden the systems, especially on higher difficulties. The base Xbox One had a tendency to reduce the Hell out of its dynamic resolution in cases because it couldn't handle straight 1080p and, unless I'm mistaken, console versions still have to work well on the base systems so as not to alienate that part of the consumer. Unless you want maps specific to co-op, it's probably not very realistic to expect.

1 minute ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Sounds like such a thing would be an absolute nightmare for consoles. id Software isn't just making this for high end PC's but for consoles as well. If you've got 8 different players on top of Single-Player, then that could heavily burden the systems, especially on higher difficulties. The base Xbox One had a tendency to reduce the Hell out of its dynamic resolution in cases because it couldn't handle straight 1080p and, unless I'm mistaken, console versions still have to work well on the base systems so as not to alienate that part of the consumer. Unless you want maps specific to co-op, it's probably not very realistic to expect.

And you don't need more than 4 players anyway. In fact, more than 4 could make the game feel very crowded.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I don't want them gone. It's a great mechanic. I just want less reliance on them.

And what does that mean exactly? If you make it so that the player does not have to rely on them as much as in DOOM4, you run at the risk of just making them optional which would affect everything else and potentially make the mechanic redundant. The whole idea is that you have to balance keeping your distance yet staying close enough at the same time. Turn the knob in the other direction and you might no longer have any incentive to stay close to the enemy which would negatively affect the push forward gameplay.

-----------------------------------

More stuff I would like to see improved? Some of the weapon masteries are pretty annoying. In some cases you have to do some really elaborate stuff to get the mastery and it often makes it so that you're more focused on doing something gimmicky rather than actually playing well. Either make the masteries more skill-based or redesign them (provided the masteries are still in DE).

They could be more like supplements. When you are really low on health and/or ammo and no pickups are in sight, you can do them to slowly regain them. A small enemy could give 5 health, while a larger enemy gives 10. As for ammo, only bullets and shells drop, unless the player has a suit upgrade that occasionally drops rockets and shells. If the player is under 25% health, the next GK gives 25% health, basically a medkit. However, this has a long cooldown that can be reduced also with a suit upgrade. 

Basically, there should be a balance between GKs and pickups.

A more radical change would be to not give health/ammo at all and just increase the speed of the player when he performs one.

Am I the only person who likes the glory kills?

Also, staggered enemies are not "invulnerable". A few bullets, an SSG blast, a rocket or a Gauss shot will finish them off.

2 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Am I the only person who likes the glory kills?

Also, staggered enemies are not "invulnerable". A few bullets, an SSG blast, a rocket or a Gauss shot will finish them off.

You're not.

4 hours ago, Pre said:

You say it like co op is something that can't be done because it would take too much time

I didn't say anything like that at all. My post above was strictly about Pvp, which Sabre interactive worked on, not id. They also had co-op, in snap map, which I understand you and many people are not asking for. I agree Co-op would sure be nice, but I'm pretty positive we didn't see it in D16's campaign because of engine limitations. It's been a widely ask for feature, if its feasible, I'm sure we'll see it in Doom Eternal.

I'm not catching you on the two games thing. Doom 16's Mp of course brought a very different experience then Co-op or the campaign ever could in case you're talking about that. I was referencing how everyone wanted D16's Mp to literally be a quake clone, there is zero point in it, especially now that Quake champions exists. As for ultra nightmare, I would dislike seeing co-op in UNM. Takes the point away unless if one player dies both lose, even then, people could just hide in a corner then have a good player carry them, whats the point? I wan't UNM completion to be an achievement for the whole game in Doom Eternal. That's my personal opinion.

Glory kills aren't going anywhere, it was a widely praised feature. It's not mandatory.  

5 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

I didn't say anything like that at all. My post above was strictly about Pvp, which Sabre interactive worked on, not id. They also had co-op, in snap map, which I understand you and many people are not asking for. I agree Co-op would sure be nice, but I'm pretty positive we didn't see it in D16's campaign because of engine limitations. It's been a widely ask for feature, if its feasible, I'm sure we'll see it in Doom Eternal.

I'm not catching you on the two games thing. Doom 16's Mp of course brought a very different experience then Co-op or the campaign ever could in case you're talking about that. I was referencing how everyone wanted D16's Mp to literally be a quake clone, there is zero point in it, especially now that Quake champions exists. As for ultra nightmare, I would dislike seeing co-op in UNM. Takes the point away unless if one player dies both lose, even then, people could just hide in a corner then have a good player carry them, whats the point? I wan't UNM completion to be an achievement for the whole game in Doom Eternal. That's my personal opinion.

Glory kills aren't going anywhere, it was a widely praised feature. It's not mandatory.  

Then make enemies 2x harder to kill and now you got a challenge.  If people want to hide in a corner and let their friend do all the work, let them, it won't hurt anyone.  Obviously they don't mind.  It's not like I'm going to get all mad because while I'm playing I think, "man I wish someone could do this for me and let me afk...".