Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

What improvements over Doom 2016 are you expecting?

16 minutes ago, Pre said:

it won't hurt anyone.

Would destroy the point of Ultra nightmare. Why have it as a mode at all, people could just say they beat the game on nightmare without dying, no difference right? It takes away the sense of accomplishment when people can cheese it.

5 hours ago, Pre said:

I would personally never get 7 other people to play this at one time without the problem of actually getting them in a game, and not having someone screw around.  Sounds like multiplayer to me.

others might, Instead of having it locked at a specific number, why not have the option to change Max players, you know, like most shooters do.

3 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

They could be more like supplements. When you are really low on health and/or ammo and no pickups are in sight, you can do them to slowly regain them. A small enemy could give 5 health, while a larger enemy gives 10. As for ammo, only bullets and shells drop, unless the player has a suit upgrade that occasionally drops rockets and shells. If the player is under 25% health, the next GK gives 25% health, basically a medkit. However, this has a long cooldown that can be reduced also with a suit upgrade. 

Basically, there should be a balance between GKs and pickups.

A more radical change would be to not give health/ammo at all and just increase the speed of the player when he performs one.

I think there should be a meter like the chainsaw has and you should have to get more regular kills to build up that glory kill meter then when its full you can do a certain amount of glory kills until that meter runs out. Kind of like the rage meter in God of War.

15 minutes ago, DestroyerNori13 said:

Kind of like the rage meter in God of War.

But the Rage of the Gods/the Titans/Sparta didn't do that. They only reduced the damage that Kratos took, allowed him to do significantly more damage with his blades, made him immune to stagger, and, in the first, when the Blades of Chaos were at full upgrade, gave him infinite magic.

On the subject of Glory Kills, I stand by DooM_RO on it. I think they should be nerfed to some degree so the pickups are actually useful, or, alternatively, only be possible when using berserk, which would make a lot more sense and reduce the game's dependence on them, I think. They could also change the berserk to last the level like in classic!Doom, but make it less powerful to balance it off, and stick it in a secret somewhere on each level, allowing a bit of a throwback to 2016, but kind of keeping the classic flavor. That would be a rather large change, but I think the game might improve as a result.

21 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

But the Rage of the Gods/the Titans/Sparta didn't do that. They only reduced the damage that Kratos took, allowed him to do significantly more damage with his blades, made him immune to stagger, and, in the first, when the Blades of Chaos were at full upgrade, gave him infinite magic.

On the subject of Glory Kills, I stand by DooM_RO on it. I think they should be nerfed to some degree so the pickups are actually useful, or, alternatively, only be possible when using berserk, which would make a lot more sense and reduce the game's dependence on them, I think. They could also change the berserk to last the level like in classic!Doom, but make it less powerful to balance it off, and stick it in a secret somewhere on each level, allowing a bit of a throwback to 2016, but kind of keeping the classic flavor. That would be a rather large change, but I think the game might improve as a result.

lol I meant the meter itself and how it runs out on activation and how you build it up before you use it, not what it does.  And ya berserks were cool. I'd like to see them return.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, MrInternational said:

Multiplayer

1. Remove weapon loadouts: I want this doom to have weapon spawns across the map so we can get back to good old arena style multiplayer.
  2. Add music: I personally would love it if we had awesome soundtracks playing during matches to make the game more fun, and ridiculously action packed.
  3. Increase Speed: Not a huge boost in speed, but just a little bit faster than doom(2016).
  4. Clan system: add an in game clan function to help build competitive gameplay.
  5. Heavier Announcer: I want an announcer with a grizzly, booming voice to help players get hyped when playing multiplayer.
On 6/12/2018 at 6:16 AM, Zemini said:

True Deathmatch with pick ups.

Lobbies and chat rooms.  A place to show off armors and achievements.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, Teder said:

Multiplayer: DM, TDM, Coop game like survival: players vs demons, demons vs demons

Dedicated servers, custom servers.

Glad to see some people talking sense. Doom invented online mutliplayer/deathmatch, I'd love to see that fact represented in the new one. MP in Doom 2016 had pretty much no staying power and was just generally too different to what 'Doom multiplayer' is perceived as. It might have worked better under a different name but it was just too distinctly different.

Give us classic deathmatch and classic co-op. A max of 4 people in co-op and ~12 in deathmatch would be just fine. None of this weapon loadout bullshit, everyone starts with a basic machine gun or something and must find the better weapons throughout the map. I'd be all over that shit.

I'll say to the "get rid of multiplayer" fools what I said to them 2 years ago before D2016 came out: GTFO ya loonies, multiplayer action has always been a part of Doom's DNA.

^ I'll give you an invulnerability orb to show how much I agree with your post xD (sorry I couldn't help it)

But no seriously multiplayer should definitely be improved upon this time around because it was sorely missed

1.Simplify enemies. I don't need enemies to have too many attack varieties, it makes it much easier to strategize the combat when I know exactly how an enemy will react.

2.Take away the Imp's wall crawling shit, I found that annoying more than anything else. 

3.If the game absolutely NEEDS an upgrade system don't make it RPG-based, I think it would flow much better if it was more Metroidy, find the shotgun's grenade upgrade in the level, pick up a permanent health increase in a secret area.

6 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Would destroy the point of Ultra nightmare. Why have it as a mode at all, people could just say they beat the game on nightmare without dying, no difference right? It takes away the sense of accomplishment when people can cheese it.

There isn't an accomplishment for it anyway.  The difficulty level was put in as a joke because people thought DOOM '93 was too easy.  I won't ever beat Doom on UNM,  Kadingir Sanctum is just too much.  Getting to that level is hard enough.  I died trying to snipe the first mancubus because I fell of the cliff and that's hilarious. I'm already sick of replaying the first 5 levels.  I'll retry here and there but ATM I think I'm done, and I did enjoy it a ton.  It's one of those short lived experiences that I get that I enjoy.  But how would it be to play with my other friends online who play FPS?  It would be amazing and they agree.

1 hour ago, Pre said:

I won't ever beat Doom on UNM

never will with that attitude. I think they will make unm completion for the whole game an achievment in D Eternal. I agree Co-op would be fun, perhaps if they have it there will be Co-op for UNM as well.

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

They could be more like supplements. When you are really low on health and/or ammo and no pickups are in sight, you can do them to slowly regain them. A small enemy could give 5 health, while a larger enemy gives 10. As for ammo, only bullets and shells drop, unless the player has a suit upgrade that occasionally drops rockets and shells. If the player is under 25% health, the next GK gives 25% health, basically a medkit. However, this has a long cooldown that can be reduced also with a suit upgrade. 

Basically, there should be a balance between GKs and pickups.

That's what I'm talking about, that would make the entire system fall apart. If executions were just a supplement, we'd be back to run-away, circle-strafe, "keep your distance at all times" gameplay. Maybe that depends on how long you've been playing. I haven't heard high-end players complain about executions. I have completed UNM once and my takeaway is that the balance between pickups and exuctions exists and works just fine.

It's kind of like you said (I think it was you) that Hellrazers are useless. Ha! Hellrazers can really screw up your run because they deal a ton of damage and when they hit you while you're fighting other monsters, it's not a pretty sight.

-------------------

Another thing to improve: make enemies more unique on the battlefield. I'm not crazy about "twice as many badass demons" when some of the existing ones are nothing special. Revenants for instance, they're just there, they don't do anything remarkable and their presence doesn't really change anything.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also an extra note about higher variety of encounters. One of the key elements of encounters in the original games were turret enemies, demons on ledges or cliffs, like an Archvile on a pillar. In DOOM4 any monster can go anywhere and it's kind of a shame. It'd be cool if a demon could choose to hold its position and fire at the player while other monsters are trying to get close.

Edited by Touchdown

@Touchdown

Maybe, maybe not. It might also be possible the player will risk it if there is no health in sight. 

It bothers me because it takes away from the skill and exploration but I still like the mechanic. It just needs to be nerfed a bit because right now, it's a bit like regenerating health.

Hellrazers COULD work if they were more accurate.

"twice as many badass demons" has me worried, it could break the simplicity of the game and will probably be harder to balance. I'd be ok with half as many new monsters. Agree about the revenant

Perhaps they could add a fat, shambling zombie with a chaingun that has limited mobility. Aside from that, I'm not sure how they could add turret enemies.

I find Doom 2016's formula to be excellent and I'm glad it isn't trying to ape classic Doom too much. I've always thought classic Doom's core and potential was fully realized by Final Doom and the modding aspect of its legacy. Doom 2016 stands on its own core merits and is a better game for it.

Doom 2016 should improve and tweak what its good at. Better use of verticality and fewer, but more challenging, arena battles; More bosses (and an Icon of Sin that isn't a joke); and Better Multiplayer.

9 hours ago, MrGlide said:

Eww to this whole post.

I was just trying to find a way to balance it between Doom classic and Doom(2016), in Doom 2 the combat flows much better (IMO) because I know what every enemy does and there's no attack RNG. The Metroid system may have been worded poorly but I was taking inspiration from the backpack pick-up and thinking all upgrades could be done in that way, I don't want the game to play like Metroid.

14 minutes ago, HolyHominid said:

there's no attack RNG

It's literally all rng in Doom 2 though. it's just in D16 there is a wider variety.

2 hours ago, MrGlide said:

It's literally all rng in Doom 2 though. it's just in D16 there is a wider variety.

I'm not completely opposed to attack variety, as long as it's telegraphed better. I felt like a lot of the deaths I experienced in Doom 2 were because the Demon alt-fire happens when I'm not really expecting it, and I already have a bunch of Demons around me to pay attention to. Especially the Imp's big fireball, I feel like the animation was just 2 or 3 seconds too fast, I'd always see him charging up, realize it, attempt to dodge, then BOOM I got hit. Maybe I'm just too used to how slow the fireballs were in Doom 2 though. Just feels like the Demon's attack variety wasn't that well implemented but maybe it's just me.

4 minutes ago, HolyHominid said:

I'm not completely opposed to attack variety, as long as it's telegraphed better.

How I overcome this: turn up the difficulty to its hardest (or near it). It seems like attack animations become a lot clearer on Ultra-Hard than they were on normal.

Well, I don't really "expect" id to improve upon that because its evident they see DOOM as nothing but action and badassery... but it'd be nice if they acknowledge that DOOM is not just this:

But also this:

Edited by Touchdown

Human NPCs (military, security, and civilian).

Hellrazers COULD work if they were more accurate.

They would also be better if they didn't do that pose before shooting.

I'm not expecting much since all of the original founders are gone, but I hope they release some source code. If only John Carmack was still there...

Yeah, and about the glory kills, I finished the game on UV with a controller and they didn't feel mandatory, I maybe did one or two per fight on average. Wasn't easy but wasn't to hard either, it was just hard as it should be. But I'm down with nerfing them a bit, like drop 5 to 10 when under 50 hp, or 25 when really low.

And hitscanners aren't comming back because they are anti-push-forward-combat.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:56 PM, Hofmann said:

And hitscanners aren't comming back because they are anti-push-forward-combat.

But that's the exact job description of a Hell Razer.

Hitscan enemies are not at all incompatible with push-forward fighting, with low damage/health (just like classic zombies) they can be quite interesting and fun enemies.

-No linear levels with arenas, or at least not be the only kind of level, more open levels with exploration and rewards for exploring, and secrets.

-Varied and colorful level design, you know, mazes and shit.

-Gore, blood, corpses and Satanic images everywhere, more hellish design into everything and not some random generic futuristic alien fsp style of levels and enemies.

-Redundant, but enemies that actually look like demons would be nice, give us fucked up shit.

-No weapon upgrades, make them cool right from the start.

-No Runes that you can only use two at the time or whatever.

-No taking you out of the level while you are playing it with some excuse like the Rune trials or classic Doom levels, it just kills the mood/flow.

-Bassicaly nothing where you have to pause the game to do it like the examples above it, except maybe the weapon wheel.

-More atmospheric, put some horror ambient and music once in a while, put some dark places with suspense, no just non-stop action.

-No glory kills at the front of the gameplay, the idea was well executed in D16 though, and no magic items popping out of enemies giving you health and ammo (????) What i mean is keep it, but dont make it as essential.

-Staying corpses.

-No "wait until the story scene is over to move or use weapons" modern mainstream games bullshit.

-No GOD DAMNED enemies with shields or enemies that just stop the fun of the game dead on its tracks.

-Platforming at minimum please, this is not an adventure game, is an action game.

-Redundant, but not so much rely on jumping and vertical level design.

-Gameplay based on improvised yet tactical and strategic movements and gun fighting, no "throw yourself into battle without thinking, the more reckless you are the more chances of winning you have" style of gameplay, this is exactly the opposite of what the original Dooms were.

-Way less influence of Doom 3, Brutal Doom, and the Doom comic book in every aspect of the game. Play the old games and see why they are still good, dont just try to copy what you think it is on the surface.

-Less repetitive gameplay (the level design helps A LOT in this matter) with actual replay value once i finish the game.

I think that covers it all so far, i will edit it if i come out with something else.

Edited by D88M

Since i cannot edit my comment anymore, just one more thing:

-Make it HARD but FAIR: i finished D16 in UV with little trouble, make it so that if you die, is your, and only YOUR fault, and not some random whim from the game developers.

I want Doom II's chaingunners back. Those guys were amazing to fight. Maybe if it's only as minibosses at some point, just give my chaingun wielding, red armor UAC commandos