Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Reused Assets.

So, I was thinking: ID could have saved a lot of development time if they reused assets from the scrapped DOOM 4, which took place on earth. It would make a lot of sense, considering they have these art assets just laying around, they did the same with DOOM (2016). Do you think this is what they did?

Those are over 6 years old. Plus, Id are a AAA company with lots of talented artists. There's no reason to reuse stuff.

At most, they might reuse some concept art.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

Those are over 6 years old. Plus, Id are a AAA company with lots of talented artists. There's no reason to reuse stuff.

I don't know, I think they could get away with using textures from (the original) Doom 4.

1 minute ago, Egg Boy said:

I don't know, I think they could get away with using textures from (the original) Doom 4.

Why? They are old, have lower resolution than the new stuff they are making and the art style is likely different. The time they spend on bringing the old stuff to par could be used to make newer, better stuff. These are professional developers, not a few modders scrambling for new textures to make a new level.

Just now, DooM_RO said:

Why? They are old, have lower resolution than the new stuff they are making and the art style is likely different. These are professional developers, not a few modders scrambling for new textures to make a new level.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I expect them to re-use a lot of assets from the new Doom '16 instead judging by the trailer. Must be a great work and time saver.

Let's all just forget proto-Doom 4 ever [almost] happened shall we? 

Just now, dmg_64 said:

I expect them to re-use a lot of assets from the new Doom '16 instead judging by the trailer. Must be a great work and time saver.

Yeah, that demon skull comes to mind. Also, it also helps keep the art style consistent between games though it's probably not just a simple copy-paste.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Yeah they aren't an indie dev anymore. I still expect the original models to get tweaked. Add some blades to baron's arms... give Mancubus an Oculus Rift, give imps more spikes. Make Cyberdemon more mechanical.

They should also reuse the cut monster from Doom 3 that was shown when the game was first revealed. Sure it'll look horribly low poly with low res textures, but what the hell.

In fact they should use the unfinished Revenant sprites from Doom 64 as well while they're at it. Yeah it's a game they didn't make themselves and a demon being sprites would look weird next to current tech models, but its Hell, Hell is weird.

Oh and put in Half-Life 2's cut Hydra enemy. The game already has tentacles so they should pay Valve to bring over that unused enemy too.

1 minute ago, wheresthebeef said:

They should also reuse the cut monster from Doom 3 that was shown when the game was first revealed. Sure it'll look horribly low poly with low res textures, but what the hell.

In fact they should use the unfinished Revenant sprites from Doom 64 as well while they're at it. Yeah it's a game they didn't make themselves and a demon being sprites would look weird next to current tech models, but its Hell, Hell is weird.

Oh and put in Half-Life 2's cut Hydra enemy. The game already has tentacles so they should pay Valve to bring over that unused enemy too.

I hope we get a demon that's literally just poorly upscaled Mario sprites from SMW that look straight out of an old Newgrounds flash.

1 hour ago, Arctangent said:

I hope we get a demon that's literally just poorly upscaled Mario sprites from SMW that look straight out of an old Newgrounds flash.

This will be the final boss.

Maybe not reuse the old textures, but high-poly models are still high poly models and those are costly and time consuming to make. Might as well use the ones already made and apply new textures.

A lot of the stuff in the teaser trailer looks rather similar to some of the things in the old Doom 4.0 leaked screenshots (except even more destroyed), so it kinda looks like they already reused some old assets for that.

We have seen some of the models reused.  The HAR and The Prowler (which was the Call of Doom Imp) come to mind.  Thankfully they both got a fresh coat of paint.

Of course they are re-using stuff from Doom 4. Why not? There's a big difference between game asset and source material. Have you heard about ZBrush, MudBox?  They could easely work upon already existing environmental stuff created for cancelled Doom. You can do anything you want with model in ZBrush, add more details and stuff then bake it in to 4K 8K textures and here you have modern day standart game asset.

7 hours ago, id.dav said:

Of course they are re-using stuff from Doom 4. Why not? There's a big difference between game asset and source material. Have you heard about ZBrush, MudBox?  They could easely work upon already existing environmental stuff created for cancelled Doom. You can do anything you want with model in ZBrush, add more details and stuff then bake it in to 4K 8K textures and here you have modern day standart game asset.

That's quite different from using unused textures.

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

That's quite different from using unused textures.

Actually, I was referring to the city models and stuff at first, I just kind of went to textures once you questioned my original point, which probably wasn't a good idea because it made me look even more stupid. But anyway, now that I feel validated, I don't think even a triple A company like ID would just throw away all that work that went into DOOM 4, time is money, and they spent a lot of both on the original DOOM 4, so why not use it?

let no effort go to waste I say

at least what you can salvage. The Super Shotgun was one of the few remnants of D4 1.0 among others.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:33 AM, DoomUK said:

Let's all just forget proto-Doom 4 ever [almost] happened shall we? 

Why not? It's actually super interesting and I wish we had more information on its development. I know everyone makes the Call of Duty comparison, but to me it looks more like Metro. I don't think it would be the sort of game for me, but everything surrounding its development is quite intriguing, and when you add the game we got to the mix, it makes DOOM (2016) one of the greatest development stories in modern games.

There were parts of Call of Doom that looked pretty slick and that I could see being repurposed. I just don't want the city elements to look too contemporary, I'm hoping for some gritty cyberpunk architecture and tech.

Most of those artists are probably not working there anymore. Can they use the high-poly models in that case?

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

Most of those artists are probably not working there anymore. Can they use the high-poly models in that case?

I would assume Id owns the right to their own game's assets. I mean, I'm not 100 percent sure, but I don't think previous artists receive royalties for art they previously did for a company. Besides that, from what I gather, most of Doom 4's development team did go on to work on Doom (2016), unless the concept art was commissioned or something (which would not make too much sense for a company with so many brilliant artists), I'm pretty sure many of the artists are working on Doom Eternal.

iD love re using textures. They just get a bump in quality. I have seen doom textures in quake 1,2,arena. An quake textures used in doom 3.

I am rather sure of it.

Honestly, I thought the scrapped Doom 4 looked much more generic than what they're giving us. Maybe because the Call of Doom trailer looked more like a generic intact city, what you'd expect to find in a nuclear apocalypse game. By contrast, Doom Eternal is far more broken down, everything's covered in rubble and the only evidence of a once standing city is some building-like shapes that are completely torched and burning. It looks more distinguished.

I'd love to see the Call of Doom assault rifle reused, whether as an "SMG" like weapon or simply an NPC/enemy implement. After all, not everyone can afford the power armor to lug around a .50 machine gun in rifle format.

Well, there was a very early version that used a double barrel shotgun that looks almost exactly like the shotgun in Doom 2016 so they DO repurpose assets, even if they modify them moderately. They don't just delete all the files and start over.

6 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I'd love to see the Call of Doom assault rifle reused, whether as an "SMG" like weapon or simply an NPC/enemy implement. After all, not everyone can afford the power armor to lug around a .50 machine gun in rifle format.

I hate SMGs overall. The SMG is probably the thing that most reminds me of modern, realistic shooters out of them all. It's pretty much a staple. Doom is anything but a realistic shooter, it's a classic shooter. No handholding, no reloading, no ducking, no 15 types of SMG as selectable weapons. Classic shooters don't have SMGs, they have plasma rifles and BFGs!

43 minutes ago, Xfing said:

I hate SMGs overall. The SMG is probably the thing that most reminds me of modern, realistic shooters out of them all. It's pretty much a staple. Doom is anything but a realistic shooter, it's a classic shooter. No handholding, no reloading, no ducking, no 15 types of SMG as selectable weapons. Classic shooters don't have SMGs, they have plasma rifles and BFGs!

Exactly, that's why I love the HAR.

14 hours ago, Xfing said:

I didn't mean SMG in the sense of "tiny useless pistol caliber automatic", I meant "rapid fire less-accurate automatic". The pre-release assault rifle would fit that well, given that it has a drum magazine and seemingly a lower caliber than the HAR. If not it can fill the role of the classic Doom assault rifle as an enemy-only weapon.